Radeon HD 4850 Works With Open Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
    Yeah, I think that's the main issue the radeonHD guys have with it. However, it's obvious that it allows for greater, shall I say, "simplicity". At this rate, seeing as how radeon is growing faster than radeonHD (and that it supports more cards), I don't see why anyone would choose radeonHD over radeon, unless it offered some crazy extra features or even better 3D performance.
    Still, I think Suse one day will realize that users case about supported hardware rather than it is true open source.

Ubuntu realized that, and came out of nowhere and is now one of the big boys.

The way I understand it, the 2D and 3D work done by Red Hat and Suse is shared 100%, so what Suse basically is doing right now, is "waiting" by waisting time on modesetting stuff, and when they improve 2D/3D stuff, they help Red Hat more than they help them selfs...

Having 3D out-of-the-box is HUGE feature that Red Hat can delivery almost day-to-day, where Suse first have to write modesetting stuff.

Linux distributions are more or less the same. Ubuntu/Fedora/Suse they differ in menu design and package management, so which new users choose is based on looks.

But if Fedora supports new hardware and Suse doesn't, guess which distribution will rule on high?

Comment

Btw. If someone is interested in reading a review of Open Sues 11, and take a look at this one.

It also tells about the differences of Fedora/Ubuntu/Suse as I was touching on in my previous post

Comment

Now this patch is in Ubuntu Intrepid

Comment

Working...
        X