XVideo colors washed out w/fglrx 8.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XVideo colors washed out w/fglrx 8.5

When I use the Xv driver in mplayer the colors seem very washed out. It looks as though brightness is too high and contrast too low. When I switch to the x11 video drivers the video looks fine. For comparison, I am including two screenshots below: The first one taken from mplayer playback with x11 drivers, and the second using xv drivers.

This has been a problem for me ever since I started using fglrx in late 2007. The system is a ThinkPad T43 with a Mobility Radeon X300 /64mb vram running fglrx 8.5. The driver reports my card as: "Chipset: "ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300" (Chipset = 0x5460)"

The relevant sections of my xorg.conf are given below:

Code:
    Section "Module"
            Load  "dbe"     # Double buffer extension
            Load  "extmod"
            SubSection "extmod"
                    Option      "omit xfree86-dga"   # DGA is broken in fglrx
            EndSubSection
            Load  "ddc"
            Load  "int10"
            Load  "record"
            Load  "vbe"
            Load  "type1"
            Load  "freetype"
            Load  "evdev"
    #       Load  "xtt"
    # This loads the GLX module
            Load  "glx"
    # This loads the DRI module
            Load  "dri"
    EndSection
    Section "Device"
            Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
            Driver      "fglrx"
            Option      "SwapScreens" "on"
            Option      "Mode2" "1680x1050"
            Option      "OverlayOnCRTC2" "1"
            Option      "TexturedVideo" "on"
            Option      "TexturedVideoSync" "on"
            Option      "VideoOverlay" "on"
            Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
            Option      "EnablePrivateBackZ" "yes"
            Option      "DesktopSetup" "clone"
            Option      "TexturedXrender" "True"
            Option      "FSAAEnable" "on"
            Option      "FSAAScale" "4"
            BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

I have only been able to locate one thread that mentions the problem I'm having: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8216

Is anyone else noticing this problem?

I have exactly the same problem.

My System:

Linux deb.fuckup 2.6.24-1-amd64 #1 SMP Sat May 10 09:28:10 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.7537 Release

Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"

#       Driver      "radeonhd"
    #       Option "AccellMethod" "ShadowFb"

Driver      "fglrx"
            ## Driver / Performance Options
            Option      "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
            Option      "TexturedVideo" "On"
            ### Set to 1 - better , set to 2 for compability, and 0 for basic
            Option      "UseFastTLS" "1"
            ### Experimental
            Option      "Textured2D" "on"
            Option      "TexturedXRender" "on"
            Option      "BackingStore" "on"
            ### forced turned off so TextureVideo is used
            Option      "VideoOverlay" "Off"
            Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "Off"
    EndSection

Comment

zyon,

what about

Code:
      Section "Device"
         Identifier "Card0"
         Driver "fglrx"
      EndSection
      and give it another try? More options means more possibilities for problems and the experimental TexturedXrender is pretty broken at the moment. TexturedVideo and Textured2D are activated by default on your hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Code:
        Section "Device"
           Identifier "Card0"
           Driver "fglrx"
        EndSection
        With these configure I have the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Code:
          Section "Device"
             Identifier "Card0"
             Driver "fglrx"
          EndSection
          With these configure I have the same problem.

zyon

Comment

When I don't specify any options, the Xvideo driver works as expected (or I think it does). Thanks for the suggestion d2kx.

I started to enable each option one by one to figure out what the cause of the problem was. It turns out "TexturedVideo" triggers the behavior of washed out colors. As a result of this I also can't enable TexturedVideoSync, which allows me to have playback on both displays.

Is the color washing thing intentional? Unless I hear otherwise I will file a bug report.

Comment

An X300 is an RV370 or thereabouts, so I would expect us to enable VideoOverlay by default. TexturedVideo should be the default from X12xx and up AFAIK.

That would at least explain the different behaviour when the TexturedVideo option was enabled. I don't think there should be any significant difference in colour intensity though, so I guess a bug report would be a good idea.

Am I the only one who prefers the "washed out colours" in the pics above ? I'm wondering if we are applying some gamma correction in the shader code
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Am I the only one who prefers the "washed out colours" in the pics above ? I'm wondering if we are applying some gamma correction in the shader code
                If you look at the two pictures in my initial post you'll see that there is something wrong. The screenshot is from the film "Sunshine", which is set in space. Space is supposed to be black, not washed out gray

On a side note, I have a secondary issue that arises when using the xv driver with fglrx: The played back video is not always centered in the player window. Compare the two screenshots:

x11:

xv:

When I move the window around the played back content inside the window shifts also shifts. If I drag the window off-screen to the left, and then bring it back into view, the image recenters itself. If I, instead, drag the window off-screen to the right, I can get a larger blue area to remain in the mplayer window. This only happens with xv.

Anyone else notice this?

Comment

Why am I thinking that "washed out colored" images show more details or is it really they are more detailed in terms of spatial detail?

(I was never a fan of ultra-saturated colors that plasma makers (cough panasonic cugh) try to pump btw.)

Comment

I have exactly the same problem with catalyst 9.2 which was released a few days ago. It's quite annoying but I have found a good solution for it.

Have you ever wondered what the ‘video’ plugin is for? A short answer is that it does video accelleration through Compiz. But what does this all mean? Well we have to start with a few l…

It not only fixed the washed out color thing but also flickering videos in earlier fglrx versions.

This works well for resolutions up to 720p. But I've got some 1080p content here and composited xv is too slow due to missing YV12 output. (Hence mplayer has to perform a software yuv<->rgb colorspace conversion which is too slow for smooth playback apparantly)

Is there a proper solution for fixing those washed out colors yet?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                    X