Two X-Servers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
    what surprises me, is that this issue surprises!

it's much that this is a known issue... and what surprises me even more, is that at ATi, they didn't know it!!!

(...)

nice, ain't it? :-)
    That's how we love it - Eating up memory and doing nothing
    However, how do you know that ATI doesn't know about it?

EDIT: #22 says it all ;-)
    Last edited by NeoBrain; 14 June 2008, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Hold on Vighy, there's a big difference between "ATI didn't know" and "bridgman didn't know". The second one happens all the time

This seems like one of those things which happens on some systems and doesn't happen on others. If we can get more info about the systems where it *does* happen then we can start to see patterns and have a better chance of reproducing it on one of *our* systems so we can do something about it.
      Last edited by bridgman; 14 June 2008, 01:15 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

I had this issue ever since I ran fglrx, for 2 years...

AMD Radeon X1900XT 512

I don't think more information is required as I had plenty of different configuration since those two years and it happened with all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          This seems like one of those things which happens on some systems and doesn't happen on others. If we can get more info about the systems where it *does* happen then we can start to see patterns and have a better chance of reproducing it on one of *our* systems so we can do something about it.
          Okay, let's see then...
          Using
          an AMD Athlon XP 2400+
          512 MB RAM
          an Sapphire ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 512 MB (AGP)
          an ASRock Motherboard (don't know model number)
          256 MB AGPGART size
          Fedora 8: kernel 2.6.24, Xorg 7.2/XServer 1.3, KDE 4.0.4
          AIGLX & Composite enabled
          Catalyst 8.4 (8.5 has too much troubles recognizing my monitor and can't start a 3D enabled X server on another VT)

Comment

For the guys thinking that it's distribution specific, I'm the guy who reported that bug 1 year ago. I'm currently using the same installation (debian testing) with a "green company" card and the second X has gone away.

Also, suse guys like to patch their things, so they can be ironed this bug by patching X. Suse was one of the rare distros that cannot be run with a stock kernel...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Interesting. I think there is a bugzilla ticket open on this already bug didn't realize how many people are seeing it.

OK, looks like #702 - would you folks be able to add your system specifics to the ticket ?

http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=702
              It may be interesting to mention also how you did install fglrx. With ATI installer, packages produced by ATI installer or your distribution's packages ?

HTH

Comment

Same here ...

Hey,

I wondered the hell why I was "topping" two X servers ... I tought that may be usefull for ATI drivers to work like this, something related to crossfire to come ...

Anyway, if it's useless, I'll kill the idling X server to get memory back

Here's my config :
                ------------------

Slackware 10.2 (32 bit ARCH)
                Kernel 2.6.24.7
                Ati drivers 8.4 (using ATI INSTALLER)
                X org 7.3

I hope ATI will improve their linux support quickly ...

Comment

Well I installed the Drivers via Portage / a Gentoo-Ebuild, which is probably almost the same as using the ATi Installer (not sure about that though).

Comment

Same here

Tried the ubuntu stock driver and also the catalyst 8.6 installer, both have the same effect. Never had any problems with the ubuntu feisty install, the two processes only showed up after an update to Hardy.

Ubuntu Hardy 8.04
                    Kernel 2.6.24
                    Xorg 7.3
                    ATI mobility Radeon X600
                    BIOS version: BK-ATI VER008.017M.192.052
                    Memory Type: DDR SGRAM/SDRAM
                    Memory Size: 128 Mb
                    Memory Clock: 263 MHz
                    Core Clock: 398 MHz
                    Bus type: PCI Express
                    Bus setting: x16
                    Driver version: 8.50.3
                    OpenGL version: 2.1.7659

Comment

Originally posted by hvbakel View Post
                      Tried the ubuntu stock driver and also the catalyst 8.6 installer, both have the same effect. Never had any problems with the ubuntu feisty install, the two processes only showed up after an update to Hardy.
                      They were already there, maybe you didn't notice.

By the way it's impossible to hope ati will solve a bug just discovered in the subsequent driver for it's model of delivering drivers.
                      We may expect the fix in the next release or in the one after the next.

Comment

Working...
                      X