AMD Catalyst 8.5 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi guys,
    I just reinstalled a clean ubuntu hardy on my computer (laptop, 64bit os, with an xpress 200 chip) and catalyst 8.5 (was running gutsy with fglrx 8.40 before)... Everything seems fine, everything running normally, but blender is incredibly slow... Not really what's pure 3D (moving big quantity of objects on screen, etc...) but everytime something like menus, texts, dotted lines appear on screen, or if you change your selection of objects, it gets veeery slow.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Running the same blender version with the mesa opengl lib statically linked runs fine, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with blender... The same blender works still perfectly on gutsy with fglrx 8.40...

Everything fglrx-related seems perfectly correct, aiglx & composite are disabled, direct rendering is enabled, fglrx xorg driver loads perfectly, as well as the module kernel, both are the correct 8.49 version, i tried to switch on/off a couple of xorg.conf options, doesn't seem to change anything... Other 3d apps seem to run fine too...

Anyone has an idea? Something I could try?

Thanks

Yorik

Comment

• Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
      performance isnt terribly good, alot worse on this c2d 3ghz box than my amd64 2ghz with 6600gt agp. I didnt expect HD 3450 to be fast, but can you tell me if im hitting around the correct performance? (im getting ~8-10fps in wow @ 1024x768 almost full details).
      I haven't found an apples-to-apples benchmark but at first glance I would expect the 6600gt to be faster than a 3450. The 6600gt has 8 pixel pipes and 3 vertex pipes, with a 128-bit memory bus, while the 3450 is more like a 4-pipe chip in terms of ROPs and shaders and has a 64-bit memory bus AFAIK. Clocks are probably a bit higher on 3450 but not enough to make up for 2x the hardware in the 6600GT.

Not sure what numbers to expect in wow on a 3450 but if you're seeing roughly 1/2 the performance that would sound about right. Again, this is a guess based on my understanding of hw internals, not based on benchies or real world experience.
      Test signature

Comment

• I guess he thought that any new card must be faster than an old one, but that was a older midrange NV card you compare against an entry level card (at least powerfull for h264 with Win). That's really a but unfair *g*

Comment

• #193 Kano:
          nah, i didnt really know how good performance would be, though i was quite aware that a 3450 would not be highend

i just wanted to know if fglrx is working as it should.

to be honest i dont much care about that either, what i wanted from the 3450 was something that could be used right away with fglrx, and then test radeonhd progress on

Comment

• Anyone able to use this driver with a recent .26 kernel?

Comment

• hi,
              I can't change refresh rate to 50 Hz. I have 60Hz and I don't have fullscreen on my TV connected dvi-hdmi. When xine finish play a film my X is broken.
              Jun 4 20:46:58 myhost X[2932]: segfault at f000eeff eip 08192890 esp bfa79770 error 5
              Jun 4 20:46:59 myhost kdm[2922]: X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly
              Jun 4 20:46:59 myhost [fglrx] PCIe has already been initialized. Reinitializing ...
              Jun 4 20:46:59 myhost [fglrx] Reserve Block - 0 offset = 0Xfffb000 length = 0X5000
              Jun 4 20:46:59 myhost [fglrx] Reserve Block - 1 offset = 0X0 length = 0X1000000
              Jun 4 20:46:59 myhost [fglrx] Reserve Block - 2 offset = 0Xff7b000 length = 0X80000
              Jun 4 20:46:59 myhost [fglrx] interrupt source 10000000 successfully enabled
              Jun 4 20:46:59 myhost [fglrx] enable ID = 0x00000008
              Jun 4 20:46:59 myhost [fglrx] Receive enable interrupt message with irqEnableMask: 10000000
              Jun 4 20:48:59 myhost kdm: :0[3340]: Hung in XOpenDisplay(:0), aborting
              Jun 4 20:48:59 myhost kdm: :0[3340]: Cannot connect to :0, giving up
              Jun 4 20:48:59 myhost kdm[2922]: Display :0 cannot be opened
              Last edited by wojak; 04 June 2008, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phlogiston View Post
                Anyone able to use this driver with a recent .26 kernel?
                yeah it works! with 2.6.25.4 tuxonice and gentoo-sources. and it worked also on 2.6.25. I'm running a 64bit system and i didn't patch the kernel.

Comment

• Just as a general question...

Just as a general question and also not to insult Ubuntu too much... But, has anyone else noticed the lesser ease of installation of the ATi drivers within Ubuntu 8.04?

I find it rather annoying to have to have all the little extras in the xorg.conf to get it to actually work.

I spent about half hour trying to get it to work last time I format, not really impressed with 8.04.

Maybe it could be that I have about 120 updates I need to install... Some of those may help fix bugs within the system.

Anywho, laters.

Bas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarmael View Post
                    Just as a general question and also not to insult Ubuntu too much... But, has anyone else noticed the lesser ease of installation of the ATi drivers within Ubuntu 8.04?

I find it rather annoying to have to have all the little extras in the xorg.conf to get it to actually work.

I spent about half hour trying to get it to work last time I format, not really impressed with 8.04.

Maybe it could be that I have about 120 updates I need to install... Some of those may help fix bugs within the system.

Anywho, laters.

Bas.
                    touching xorg.conf on ubuntu is, i think, useless, since there are a lot of utilities that help configure xorg properly.

installoing the last nVidia drivers i experienced Xorg hangs, so i rebooted under "recovery mode" and appeared to me a utility that reconfigured Xorg automatically, and then it worked as expected!

Nothing has been more simple in past!

Comment

• The Ubuntu situation should be starting to improve; our testing had focused on RH and SuSE distros (that's what workstation users tend to run with) but we're starting to ramp up testing on Ubuntu. The Ubuntu packaging folks are also working hard to make things "just work".
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X