AMD Catalyst 8.5 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
    this is debian stable, kernel 2.6.25 (which i btw had to modify to export yet another symbol - i wonder if AMD even tested it?!), with xorg from debian testing, i believe its server 1.4, from xorg 7.3
    Due to the dependencies of Xorg, your installation is a mix between debian stable and debian testing. In other word, half your system is made of recent packages, the other half is made of one year old packages.

I'm not really surprised that you have stability problems. You should upgrade your whole system to testing.

I use flgrx on debian unstable and it mostly works (although I do not use much 3D, only video)

HTH

Comment

• Originally posted by domi View Post
      I use flgrx on debian unstable and it mostly works (although I do not use much 3D, only video)

HTH
      How did you install it? What is your kernel?

Comment

• I use fglrx with the Debian/sid 2.6.25-2-amd64 kernel, no problems.

What problems do you get, sundown?

Comment

• Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          I use fglrx with the Debian/sid 2.6.25-2-amd64 kernel, no problems.

What problems do you get, sundown?
          I dunno, I can't load the module. But it's ok, I have given up on testing in doing various crazy stuff to make it work. I'll try next month

Comment

• Originally posted by sundown View Post
            How did you install it? What is your kernel?
            I'm lazy and I usually install flgrx with the Debian packages from non-free section.

I'm still waiting for the packages for 8.05.

The kernel I use currently is 2.6.24. As soon as the new fglrx packages are ready, I'll upgrade to 2.6.25

HTH

Comment

• Originally posted by domi View Post
              Due to the dependencies of Xorg, your installation is a mix between debian stable and debian testing. In other word, half your system is made of recent packages, the other half is made of one year old packages.

I'm not really surprised that you have stability problems. You should upgrade your whole system to testing.

HTH
              nonsense, i have all the dependencies for xorg, and it works perfect, it is the fglrx driver which does NOT work.. if i for instance smash in an nvidia 6600gt, it works fine with this xorg.. i do not see why the version of lots of base level packages would influence xorg..

and this issue, btw, i have heard other people having it on suse aswell..

Comment

• Originally posted by sundown View Post
                You should be testing it just because of pure coolness, Debian that is
                No question about the "cool" part; developers at other distros wear Debian t-shirts to work

In general, though, fglrx is aimed primarily at the distros more likely to appear in a commercial or consumer environment, and the open source drivers are aimed at the faster-moving "upstream" distros.
                Test signature

Comment

• Hi all.

I update fglrx driver and i have many problem from 2D.
                  I use Archlinux with kernel 2.6.25 and xorg-server 1.4.0.90.

I use xfce4.

Moving windows is very lag.

This my section device in my xorg.conf

Section "Device"
                  Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]"
                  Driver "fglrx"
                  Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
                  Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
                  Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
                  Option "TexturedVideo" "on"
                  Option "Textured2D" "on"
                  Option "TexturedXRender" "off"
                  Option "BackingStore" "on"
                  Option "RenderAccel" "true"
                  Option "PseudoColorVisuals" "off"
                  Option "UseFastTLS" "1"
                  EndSection

3d and XV work.

thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    No question about the "cool" part; developers at other distros wear Debian t-shirts to work

In general, though, fglrx is aimed primarily at the distros more likely to appear in a commercial or consumer environment, and the open source drivers are aimed at the faster-moving "upstream" distros.
                    well... as i see it, i cannot use 3d on my hardware with the free drivers?

besides, i believe i have roughly the same xorg in this setup as ubuntu..

Comment

• If you're running HD2xxx the open drivers don't have 3D support yet, but that's next on the list.

re: debian vs ubuntu, I got the sense that a lot of your concerns were kernel related more than xorg-related, but I'm going from memory on that.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X