No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.5 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running 8.5 on an X1400 Mobility here, Ubuntu 8.04.

No issues so far, runs well.

Comment

• completely broken..

not only does it depend on legacy pci interface, unused symbols, but it also does not work.

It detects resolution wrong, sets monitor in resolution it cant handle, but not only that

it doesent work, everything that tries to use opengl segmentation faults when it exits, even amdccl (and WHY isnt this opensource btw?! why must i install 32bit libs for this?! even nvidia opensources nvidia-settings.. - wasnt AMD supposed to actually support opensource?).

glxinfo segfaults, but reports no direct rendering.. amdccl does not report anything wrong..

neverball doesent run fluid on a hd hd3450 - which it REALLY should.

wine with World of Warcraft? no chance.. it gets bad glx drawable in opengl mode, and in directx mode it has ~3fps...

also, there seems to be lag problems, for instance, when i move a window, it seems to lag for ~0.2sec before it reacts (and NO, i do NOT use compositing or anything like it). Also when one starts amdccl, it freezes for ~0.5sec.

To be honest, i really had expected the ati hardware to be usable with the proprietary driver at this point, i guess i was too naive..

Comment

• Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
        completely broken..

not only does it depend on legacy pci interface, unused symbols, but it also does not work.

It detects resolution wrong, sets monitor in resolution it cant handle, but not only that

it doesent work, everything that tries to use opengl segmentation faults when it exits, even amdccl (and WHY isnt this opensource btw?! why must i install 32bit libs for this?! even nvidia opensources nvidia-settings.. - wasnt AMD supposed to actually support opensource?).

glxinfo segfaults, but reports no direct rendering.. amdccl does not report anything wrong..

neverball doesent run fluid on a hd hd3450 - which it REALLY should.

wine with World of Warcraft? no chance.. it gets bad glx drawable in opengl mode, and in directx mode it has ~3fps...

also, there seems to be lag problems, for instance, when i move a window, it seems to lag for ~0.2sec before it reacts (and NO, i do NOT use compositing or anything like it). Also when one starts amdccl, it freezes for ~0.5sec.

To be honest, i really had expected the ati hardware to be usable with the proprietary driver at this point, i guess i was too naive..
        Very odd, I'm having none of these problems.

What distribution are you using? And what kernel? What version of X.org?

Comment

• I am trying to build the 8.5 drivers on my Fedora 8 x86_64 and I have made the changes to the .spec file but it still will not successfully build and it gives an error i have not seen on any forum.

[root@localhost exp]# ./ati-installer.sh 8-5 --buildpkg Fedora/F8
          ==================================================
          ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
          ==================================================
          Generating package: Fedora/F8
          mv: cannot stat `/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.493.1-1-8729-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.493.1/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/*': No such file or directory
          mv: cannot stat `/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.493.1-1-8729-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.493.1/usr/X11R6/lib/*.so.*': No such file or directory
          Package build failed!
          Package build utility output:
          Building target platforms: x86_64
          Building for target x86_64

Any idea whats up?

Comment

• this is debian stable, kernel 2.6.25 (which i btw had to modify to export yet another symbol - i wonder if AMD even tested it?!), with xorg from debian testing, i believe its server 1.4, from xorg 7.3

Comment

• I don't think we test on Debian today -- mostly RHEL, OpenSuSE (SLED upstream) and we're starting to get some coverage on Ubuntu, which should help a bit with Debian.
              Test signature

Comment

• You don't test on Debian??

I'm a little biased I guess(as a Debian user), but I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Debian is the base for the majority(arguably) of distros in popular use today. Or maybe a better way to say it would be: Debian is the base of the distros that the majority of desktop Linux users are running today. Either way I'm just totally flabbergasted that you cats don't test on Debian. It should be a given, you should be saying "of course we test on Debian, not testing on Debian would just be pure unadulterated insanity."

oooooo I'm frustrated. Just in case I haven't emoted enough yet:

Comment

• what worked for me

I tried these drivers earlier and they didn't work. The gnome panel was goofed up and flash was slow.

So I recently renamed the amdpcasdb to .old and restart atieventsd and restarted Xorg and everything looks good.

sudo mv /etc/ati/amdpcsdb /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.old
                  sudo /etc/init.d/atieventsd restart
                  sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

hope this works, let me know if it does

Comment

• Originally posted by oblivious_maximus View Post
                    oooooo I'm frustrated. Just in case I haven't emoted enough yet:
                    Yeah, I think I get the message

Serious question though; if most of your Linux sales were in the commercial workstation market, and if most of those customers ran SLED and RHEL, and if the distro most used by the rest of your customers (in the consumer market) was Ubuntu...

... what would you test on ? Do you think testing on Debian would make more users happy than testing on Ubuntu, for example ?
                    Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      ... what would you test on ? Do you think testing on Debian would make more users happy than testing on Ubuntu, for example ?
                      You should be testing it just because of pure coolness, Debian that is

Seriously, I was watching a chronology tree of the Linux distros, Debian is the 2nd oldest distro, next to Slackware, to be active

Anyways, in my humble opinion, when one wants to make ground on his competitors, one must try to be more versatile. Dunno.
                      Last edited by sundown; 30 May 2008, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X