Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elenius View Post
    tormod,

I have both of your repositories in my sources and do the upgrades all the time. I'm on 64-bit. I still don't get the right mesa drm driver. Do your latest packages include the r500 stuff? Is this supposed to work on 64-bit?
    Yes, the packages includes the latest r500 stuff. Previously I made packages from the r500 branch, as you could see in the package versions, but since it got merged with the trunk, I now use the trunk where all the newest development is done.

Yes it should work on 64-bit, and apt-get will automatically choose the "amd64" packages for you. There are however sometimes problems with 64-bit that you don't see on 32-bit. and visa versa.
    I get some errors/warnings when I apg-get upgrade. For example, just
    now:

I don't know if it's holding back the regular ubuntu X packages or your newer ones.
    Please run an apt-get upgrade also before you add my repositories. The evolution stuff has nothing do to with my repos.

If you want to upgrade to the xserver-xorg-core 1.5 (which I recommend if you really want to see what the newest stuff can do) you can do
    Code:
    apt-get install xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-kbd
    xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-video-ati
    It will uninstall the old drivers which are not compatible. (This is the reason "upgrade" will hold it back, you may also try dist-upgrade instead). Having the 1.5 server you can disable the ~tormodvolden repo, because it has only drivers for the 1.4 server. All the drivers in the ~xorg-server repo is for 1.5.

There is just this server-driver compatibility and there is nothing scary about the 1.5 server, it's pretty stable.

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
      Yes, the packages includes the latest r500 stuff. Previously I made packages from the r500 branch, as you could see in the package versions, but since it got merged with the trunk, I now use the trunk where all the newest development is done.
      Good to know.

Yes it should work on 64-bit, and apt-get will automatically choose the "amd64" packages for you. There are however sometimes problems with 64-bit that you don't see on 32-bit. and visa versa.
      Hmm, I wonder why it doesn't work for me then.

I may have flgrx installed too. Could that be why? (I don't know if the previous poster was asking me or not).

Please run an apt-get upgrade also before you add my repositories. The evolution stuff has nothing do to with my repos.
      Oh, too late for that I guess.

If you want to upgrade to the xserver-xorg-core 1.5 (which I recommend if you really want to see what the newest stuff can do) you can do
      Code:
      It will uninstall the old drivers which are not compatible. (This is the reason "upgrade" will hold it back, you may also try dist-upgrade instead). Having the 1.5 server you can disable the ~tormodvolden repo, because it has only drivers for the 1.4 server. All the drivers in the ~xorg-server repo is for 1.5.

There is just this server-driver compatibility and there is nothing scary about the 1.5 server, it's pretty stable.
      Is there a way to revert to xserver 1.4 after doing this? I just realized there's no synaptic driver for 1.5, and I tend to use my touchpad all the time... (I already did the upgrade).

Comment

Originally posted by elenius View Post
        I may have flgrx installed too. Could that be why? (I don't know if the previous poster was asking me or not).
        The evil fglrx drivers (and the libraries that it's shipped with) is famous for breaking stuff. Please try the live CD testing, to rule out any problems on your side.
        Is there a way to revert to xserver 1.4 after doing this? I just realized there's no synaptic driver for 1.5, and I tend to use my touchpad all the time... (I already did the upgrade).
        My touchpad works fine with the -mouse driver, of course except for the scrolling functions etc. I hope to successfully build the synaptic driver for 1.5 soon.

To revert, just take away the repo, uninstall the server and the drivers, and reinstall ubuntu-desktop, which will pull in the old server and drivers.

Comment

bit surprised there was no link to tirdc in the original post - i find it tends to follow radeon development closely http://tirdc.livejournal.com/

Comment

Somehow xserver-xorg-input-mouse was not installed, even though I copied the apt-get line above. After installing it, the touch pad works, minus the scrolling functionality.

I did some digging, and it turned out my system was using the wrong libGL.so, which in turn loaded the wrong mesa dri driver. I have layers of different installation attempts laying around After fixing a symlink, and running the drm install script one more time, I got it to work! Yay!

Comment

Hi,

does the ati/radeon driver in the ~xorg-edgers repository is supposed to provide XVideo support for the 780G chipset graphics?

Thanks, ollo

Comment

Originally posted by ollo View Post
                Hi,

does the ati/radeon driver in the ~xorg-edgers repository is supposed to provide XVideo support for the 780G chipset graphics?

Thanks, ollo
                No. there's no acceleration support of any kind yet for r6xx chips which includes the 780.

Comment

Hi there,
                  I'm new in the linux stuff (you must be hearing this all the time, sorry! :P).
                  Anyway, I followed the guide from post #1 (xorg ati only) and everything went fine until glxgears:
                  Code:
                  kot@kocur:~$ glxinfo|grep direct
                  direct rendering: Yes
                  kot@kocur:~$ glxgears
                  Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
                  kot@kocur:~$ glxinfo|grep OpenGL
                  OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
                  OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 TCL
                  OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 7.1 rc1
                  OpenGL extensions:
                  kot@kocur:~$
                  what could be the problem?
                  using 8.04 Hardy, x1300 Radeon (think it's 515 chipset)
                  lsmod - http://pastebin.com/f671560f9
                  dmesg - http://pastebin.com/f193631c6
                  Xorg.0.log - http://pastebin.com/f23f8ae99
                  Last edited by greebothecat; 06 June 2008, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by greebothecat View Post
                    You forgot to set EXA (instead of XAA). See man radeon

Comment

it's now:
                      Code:
                      Section "Device"
                      	Identifier	"Generic Video Card"
                      	Driver		"ati"
                      	Option          "AccelMethod"   "EXA"
                      	BusID		"PCI:2:0:0"
                      	EndSection
                      I have also done this from your repository (xorg edgers)
                      Code:
                      which deleted all the old ones (ubuntu desktop, xorg, etc)

result isn't what I thought it would be
                      Code:
                      kot@kocur:~$ glxinfo|grep direct
                      Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig
                      kot@kocur:~$ glxgears
                      Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
                      log - http://pastebin.com/f621d0aab

Did I miss something important?

Comment

Working...
                      X