• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ragool
    replied
    works now!
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: open result is 7, (OK)

720p runs full screen with 50%/40% per cpu core, 1080p runs at 99%/50% per core!!

fglrx used to run 1080p @60%/45% per core. This is also what AMD/ATI promised with the chipset without phenom+1066 RAM. Clearly the XVideo accel needs working on.

cpu is BE-2350 2.1 ghz with Dell 2408wfp @1920x1200.

But atleast its mostly working (except audio which appears to be a ffmpeg issue)

Thanks for your assistance. Please update when XVideo improvements need to be tested. I will be happy to test and report.

Regards

Leave a comment:

• Ragool
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Right. Here are instructions for building a drm which will give you EXA and Xv acceleration. 3D acceleration is in development but not ready for use yet.

http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd%3Ar6xx_r7xx_branch

The instructions cover both radeon and radeonhd, since we're only talking about the drm (kernel) module.
    Thanks will try it out and update.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Ragool
    replied
    Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
    You know that there is no free 3d acceleration for your chip yet? If you want 2d accel (exa) you need a new drm module, but shadowfb should be fast enough...
    Yes. I only want XVideo and acceleration for HD playback. 720p nd 1080p vids are jerky in full screen mode with 70% cpu on a 2.1ghz dual core. I would like to see it drop to 50% or below with smooth playback in full screen. I think drm is needed to gets bits of 2d accel working - or is it not?

TIA
    Regards

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Right. Here are instructions for building a drm which will give you EXA and Xv acceleration. 3D acceleration is in development but not ready for use yet.

http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd%3Ar6xx_r7xx_branch

The instructions cover both radeon and radeonhd, since we're only talking about the drm (kernel) module.
    Last edited by bridgman; 10 May 2009, 10:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bugmenot
    replied
    Originally posted by Ragool View Post
    ooh sorry - mobo is 780G with HD3200.
    You know that there is no free 3d acceleration for your chip yet? If you want 2d accel (exa) you need a new drm module, but shadowfb should be fast enough...

Leave a comment:

• Ragool
    replied
    ooh sorry - mobo is 780G with HD3200.

Leave a comment:

• Ragool
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Are you actually using 8.04 Ubuntu ? If not you'll probably want different instructions.

Which GPU/distro/driver are you using ?
    Bridgman

Yes

lsb_release -rd
    Description: Ubuntu 8.04.2
    Release: 8.04

2.6.24-24-generic #1 SMP Wed Apr 15 15:11:35 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My Xorg.conf is setup correct AFAIK
    installed xorg-video-ati 6.12.1 deb and followed the drm instructions in steps 2 n 3.

Don't plan to upgrade to 8.10 in the next 3 months atleast ...

Let me know if you want the output of any cmds to debug?

TIA
    Regards

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Are you actually using 8.04 Ubuntu ? If not you'll probably want different instructions.

Which GPU/distro/driver are you using ?

Leave a comment:

• Ragool
    replied
    The instructions do not work for DRM

drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)

What do I do next?

TIA
    Regards

Leave a comment:

• gordboy
    replied
    Porter, I was actually objecting to Tormod's catalog of lies relating to his attempt to package the drivers etc. He made some fundamental mistakes in packaging and then tried to deny and obfuscate his way out of his self-inflicted predicament.

The drivers themselves actually work fine, but the packaging was, well ..... shoddy.

Interesting that you should choose to comment on a thread that is well past its Sell By date. And very interesting that you should choose to go on the attack. But if it satisfies your ego-fuelled desires, by all means continue ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X