X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
    Section 0 of my first post: 0 - Introduction and status
    oh...

i changed to 'radeon' and it works now! glxinfo even shows: OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 7.1.
    Though i find it odd, that when i change back to radeonhd, glxinfo shows the old mesa version.

Anyway, thanks for the help!
    tzu

Comment

I think that makes sense. DRI support for radeonhd is in a side branch, not master, so you're probably falling back to software rendering with radeonhd right now.

If you *really* want to live dangerously, you could try Matthias's radeonhd repo with DRI support along with drm master and mesa r500-support.

I think there's a Phoronix article with details.
      Test signature

Comment

I tried the above post in #1 for a R420 card just for the helluva it on ubuntu 8.04.

It semi-works, im getting 5000+ fps in glxgears, and that openarena bencmark is gibing 100+ fps, but aiglx now seems to be screwed?

(EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed (/usr/lib/dri/r300_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driCreateNewScreen_20050727)
        (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

glxinfo says:
        OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
        OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 AGP 8x x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2 TCL
        OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 7.1

Im guessing my r300_dri.so is wrong?

ls -al /usr/lib/dri/r300_dri.so
        -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2233076 2008-05-25 16:38 /usr/lib/dri/r300_dri.so

Comment

Originally posted by grazzt View Post
          I tried the above post in #1 for a R420 card just for the helluva it on ubuntu 8.04.

It semi-works, im getting 5000+ fps in glxgears, and that openarena bencmark is gibing 100+ fps, but aiglx now seems to be screwed?

(EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed (/usr/lib/dri/r300_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driCreateNewScreen_20050727)
          (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

glxinfo says:
          OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
          OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 AGP 8x x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2 TCL
          OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 7.1

Im guessing my r300_dri.so is wrong?

ls -al /usr/lib/dri/r300_dri.so
          -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2233076 2008-05-25 16:38 /usr/lib/dri/r300_dri.so
          Hi, this is a know limitation. To "fix" this you should upgrade your xserver to a git version. Packages can be found here (WARNING: THESE PACKAGES APPEARS TO BE VERY EXPERIMENTAL AND MAY BROKE YOUR SYSTEM):

See also the post of airlied:
          So myself, Alex and Corbin Simpson have been chipping away at the 3D support for the R500 driver over the past couple of week/months etc. Corbin has been churning through the fragment shader instruction encoding and assembly, and has implemented a lot of the single opcode instructions and some of…

I'll add this info on first post.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

And youre right, it may break your system, it did with me. Well, compiz+cube running glxgears doesnt work well together.

Comment

I did the update... to my kubuntu hardy.
              One thing i noticed is glxgears results: 365FPS.
              It dropped to half what it was. Is everything as it should be or am i missing something???
              I'm running on Ati 2400 w/ 256mb.
              Last edited by mal13; 26 May 2008, 12:36 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Compiz and upgrades?

Thanks very much for these easy to follow instructions.

I will report for the search engines that my Thinkpad T60p with
                the FireGL 5250 graphic worked by following the instructions. I used
                the "ati" driver and 3D works (glxgears is about 2300FPS).
                In Gutsy I was seeing about 4000FPS with the ATI fglrx driver but
                could not get fglrx to install with Hardy.

Two questions about the above:

1) I see today that my update manager wants to upgrade my kernel.
                What steps above do I need to re-do if my kernel is upgraded?

2) Compiz is not working. Is it possible to get compiz working with
                this "ati" driver? (In Gutsy and with fglrx I had xserver-xgl installed).

Oh, BTW -- why is it important to disable the sources above after using them? Will it bring in other packages that are not desirable?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by mal13 View Post
                  I did the update... to my kubuntu hardy.
                  One thing i noticed is glxgears results: 365FPS.
                  It dropped to half what it was. Is everything as it should be or am i missing something???
                  I'm running on Ati 2400 w/ 256mb.
                  3D supports appears to be supported for <R600 cards. Your is a RV610/RV630?

I added this on first post.

Edit: try
                  Code:
                  $ glxinfo | grep 'direct rendering'
                  Warning, RV530 detected, 3D HAHAHAHAHA!!.
                  direct rendering: Yes
                  if you get No you are not using accelerated 3D.

Try using other combinations of Driver (ati or radeonhd) and Option "AccelMethod" (ShadowFB (only for radeonhd), XAA or EXA) in your xorg.conf to see if you get a faster X.
                  Last edited by oibaf; 27 May 2008, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by freetime View Post
                    Thanks very much for these easy to follow instructions.

I will report for the search engines that my Thinkpad T60p with
                    the FireGL 5250 graphic worked by following the instructions. I used
                    the "ati" driver and 3D works (glxgears is about 2300FPS).
                    In Gutsy I was seeing about 4000FPS with the ATI fglrx driver but
                    could not get fglrx to install with Hardy.

Two questions about the above:

1) I see today that my update manager wants to upgrade my kernel.
                    What steps above do I need to re-do if my kernel is upgraded?
                    You should only reinstall the DRM module. (Now added in first post)

2) Compiz is not working. Is it possible to get compiz working with
                    this "ati" driver? (In Gutsy and with fglrx I had xserver-xgl installed).
                    See comment 13 and the following two.
                    Oh, BTW -- why is it important to disable the sources above after using them? Will it bring in other packages that are not desirable?

Thanks,
                    These two repositories include a lot of other packages: see https://edge.launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive and
                    https://launchpad.net/~tormodvolden/+archive . I would not keep the repositories enabled unless you really need all other packages (note that also an updated experimental xserver is included).
                    Last edited by oibaf; 27 May 2008, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Knowtiest how experimental some packages were. I left repos open...
                      Result: adept and system logs wouldn't open anymore. Best part was to come: mouse and keyboard stopped working. I couldn't login. After dozen reboots to xp (to search info) finally got my system fixed.
                      xserver-xorg was problem.
                      Now i'm back on mesa. Forawhile.... i'll get back to radeon. Later.

Comment

Working...
                      X