Installing latest Open Source ATI drivers under Ubuntu 8.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Tormod, current packages for Hardy miss 'XInput.h'. That header is in Hardy original 'x11proto-input-dev' package, later that header was moved to 'libxi-dev' as i see, but that package was not also updated for Hardy.
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, those files moving around between packages make things complicated. I guess compiling an input driver on top of the current stack would fail then. The ones in the PPA were built before I pushed this x11proto-input-dev. But the server and video drivers build fine, so I don't worry too much. I don't plan on maintaining the Hardy packages much more, it's out of scope for xorg-edgers. It's just that I have an R500 card at work, where I still run Hardy...

I could spin a new libxi-dev, but I don't want to risk breaking something and spending time on fixing it. However, if you make a new libxi-dev and test it properly, I could push it in

Comment

• No i'm not X debian packager, i just pass through dependency hell of installing xorg-edgers packages and when i got finally break default X and see server EXA improvements and other goods, i can't compile anything, heh... OK i can just move 'XInput.h' manually. Do you know which commit for 'XInput.h' is right for your x11proto-input-dev_1.9.99.3? I think up to this http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib...676f6af4baa44b but not sure.

Comment

No i'm not X debian packager, i just pass through dependency hell of installing xorg-edgers packages and when i got finally break default X and see server EXA improvements and other goods, i can't compile anything, heh...
        You know, power users like yourself should be using Jaunty
        OK i can just move 'XInput.h' manually. Do you know which commit for 'XInput.h' is right for your x11proto-input-dev_1.9.99.3? I think up to this http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib...676f6af4baa44b but not sure.
        Somewhere around "Bump to 1.1.99.1" should be fine, I am not sure about the two next ones. I guess anything later than "Add XInput.h file from inputproto package." would fix your issue. I just realize now how old the libxi in Hardy is (git Sept 07)...

Comment

• Yes it is pretty old, maybe should be better to just put 'XInput.h' to your x11proto-input-dev_1.9.99.3. I tried to do that and package seems to build... Don't know how proper this way is, but that deb works for me.

Comment

Yes it is pretty old, maybe should be better to just put 'XInput.h' to your x11proto-input-dev_1.9.99.3. I tried to do that and package seems to build... Don't know how proper this way is, but that deb works for me.
            I have uploaded a new libxi which includes XInput.h. I hope everything will be consistent now - I will build a new xserver and some drivers later and we'll see.

Comment

• I see you have many build failures because of Xinput.h (couple days and also right now), so it is better for me to not test packages right now. Hope you should found out what goes wrong.

Comment

I see you have many build failures because of Xinput.h (couple days and also right now), so it is better for me to not test packages right now. Hope you should found out what goes wrong.
                XI dependency hell... I am not sure I get this sorted out this year. Anyway, the built packages should work fine (well I hope) but building new packages can fail.

Maybe I'll give up finding a matching libxi and do it like you suggested, adding XInput.h to x11proto-input-dev instead. BTW, exactly which version of XInput.h did you use?

Comment

• http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib...676f6af4baa44b

md5sum bce8d0f7ccda4b2854fceb2ab5548f7a

I was not tried to recompile xserver with that, but 'xf86-input-joystick-1.3.2' can compile and he works, i mean gamepad.

Comment

• Thanks. This was the greatest PITA ever. Seems like there was no proper way of solving this, I was going in circles with the version combinations (yes also the upstream "recommended" ones) and selections of Debian and Ubuntu patches.

Finally it seems to be alright, a new libxi which lives happily with x11-proto-input and even the xserver builds on it. I haven't however built a new input driver (evdev or your gamepad stuff) so I don't know if it's 100% fine. But the PPA is all green now, and I am typing this from a Hardy fully updated from the PPA.

Comment

• But XInput.h is missed again, so compiling is impossibile afterward.

Comment

Working...
                      X