EDID and randr1.2 with radeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
    Using the radeon driver, it apparently detects my monitor's supported refresh rates with EDID (I think.) At any rate, randr doesn't let me set my refresh rate higher than 85hz, even though my monitor supports 100hz. I could try and add a modline, but I'd like to do this through randr. Is there any way to do that?
    If you actually want to see the EDID settings, run the command startx -- -logverbose 5 from the console. The EDID information should be in /var/log/Xorg.0.log (or /var/log/XFree86.0.log).

On my amd64 box I get something like this:

Code:
     --- EDID for Philips 170S (CRT-0) ---

EDID Version                 : 1.3
     Manufacturer                 : PHL
     Monitor Name                 : Philips 170S
     Product ID                   : 2078
     32-bit Serial Number         : 693129
     Serial Number String         :  CF  693129
     Manufacture Date             : 2003, week 32
     DPMS Capabilities            : Standby Suspend Active Off
     Prefer first detailed timing : Yes
     Supports GTF                 : No
     Maximum Image Size           : 340mm x 270mm
     Valid HSync Range            : 30.0 kHz - 82.0 kHz
     Valid VRefresh Range         : 56 Hz - 76 Hz
     EDID maximum pixel clock     : 140.0 MHz

Established Timings:
       640  x 480  @ 60 Hz
       640  x 480  @ 72 Hz
       640  x 480  @ 75 Hz
       800  x 600  @ 56 Hz
       800  x 600  @ 60 Hz
       800  x 600  @ 72 Hz
       800  x 600  @ 75 Hz
       1024 x 768  @ 60 Hz
       1024 x 768  @ 70 Hz
       1024 x 768  @ 75 Hz
       1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Standard Timings:
       1152 x 864  @ 70 Hz
       1152 x 864  @ 75 Hz
       1280 x 960  @ 60 Hz

Detailed Timings:
       1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
         Pixel Clock      : 108.00 MHz
         HRes, HSyncStart : 1280, 1328
         HSyncEnd, HTotal : 1440, 1688
         VRes, VSyncStart : 1024, 1025
         VSyncEnd, VTotal : 1028, 1066
         H/V Polarity     : +/+

--- End of EDID for Philips 170S (CRT-0) ---

Comment

Is it possible to get the edid data on amd64 without starting x? The reason I'm asking is becouse I use a livecd as a thin client for various amd64 boxes. Some of them use ati hardware, a few use nvidia, and one or two use intel hardware. Some of the clients are using crt's, a few are using 4x3 lcd's, but most of them are using 16x10 lcd's

Right now I have the livecd setupo to delete the xorg.conf, and then run X -configure, then copy the generated xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. This works pretty good, though it doesnt allow non-standard resolutions to be set, and it adds a few flickers to the startup..

So there has to be some way on an amd64 box before xorg starts to get the edid data? Is there?

Comment

Basically you dont need to setup any res or H/V sync. Everything that is not preset is used from EDID. You can use options to write those values too. Thats how I use it.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          Is it possible to get the edid data on amd64 without starting x?
          Some of the clients are using crt's, a few are using 4x3 lcd's, but most of them are using 16x10 lcd's

Just use the X environment of the livecd.

If I understand you correctly, the livecd can at least attempt to start X for your screen (one of the crt's, 4x3 lcd's, 16x10 lcd's), so just take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log "on the livecd."

Even if X does not start, it will still leave a log.

You can find a list of known good modelines here:

How to Make a Website with free web hosting services & cheap web hosting for ecommerce & small business hosting. Create & Make a Free Website with Affordable web hosting provider free website promotion tools & web stats. Free Website Builder, Templates, & Best Free Web Hosting. How to Create a Website

Last edited by Jade; 26 May 2008, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            Is it possible to get the edid data on amd64 without starting x?
            Was my suggestion of any help?

Comment

Wrong Display Settings using RADEONHD driver!

Here's the problem: I'm using the open-source ATI driver (specifically, the RADEONHD driver, because the ATI driver won't support 3D; worse, Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy insists on trying to stick in the proprietary driver which doesn't play nice with Compiz). The problem is that my momitor is sending contrary EDID data which leaves me trapped at 1280x800@60 Hz (rather embarrassing, since I have a 19-inch ex-Micron (Panasonic PanaFlat OEM) CRT with a max resolution of 1600x1200@75 Hz (NI, of course). How do I at least fix the bad info and force a proper resolution using Xorg.conf and Xrandr? Also, which of the two utilities cvt or gtf) makes sense to use with a CRT connected to the primary DVI input (using the DVI-to-D-sub dongle included)?

Comment

PGHammer, which GPU are you using ? If the radeon (aka -ati) driver doesn't give you 3d then radeonhd won't support it either, since they use the same 3d driver code.

Also, can you post the section of your X log where the EDID information is displayed ?
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  PGHammer, which GPU are you using ? If the radeon (aka -ati) driver doesn't give you 3d then radeonhd won't support it either, since they use the same 3d driver code.

Also, can you post the section of your X log where the EDID information is displayed ?
                  In my case, it's RV535 (X1650 PRO AGP/71C1; while it's ATI built and branded, it's sold by Visiontek Products, LLC), so it falls within the correct range for both the "ati" and "radeonhd" drivers (however, while the "radeonhd" driver" at least gives me 2D (which is why I'm using it), the "ati" driver displays nothing, largely, I suspect, due to bad EDID data). I'll include the EDID data in another post, since I have to kill and restart X to do so.

Okay...I found the problem....which turns out to be *two* problems.

My primary monitor (the 19") doesn't spit out EDID data at all, and my other test monitor (17" ProScan, also a CRT) spits out incomplete EDID data (missing is a known 1280x1024 60 Hz NI mode); however, the 1024x768 modes are detected correctly.

Both monitors *do* have a common 1024x768 @ 75 Hz (NI) that I can use; how could I slap this into the "Monitor" section as a preferred mode for the ATI driver to use?
                  Last edited by PGHammer; 05 June 2008, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Have you tried sticking modelines in the config?

Ugly, I know, but it works for me

Comment

Originally posted by PGHammer View Post
                      Both monitors *do* have a common 1024x768 @ 75 Hz (NI) that I can use; how could I slap this into the "Monitor" section as a preferred mode for the ATI driver to use?
                      Please see my earlier posts, or this page:

Comment

Working...
                      X