No announcement yet.

RS480/RS690 OSS Compiz Achieved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a vblank-related issue being discussed on IRC right now w.r.t. r5xx, not sure if that would also affect the rs690.
    Test signature

Comment

Finally I've achieved
      OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
      OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 x86/MMX/SSE2 NO-TCL

But I still have problem.
      I've installed fresh Xorg 1.5.0 RC2, fresh xf86-video-ati and did Ctrl-Alt-Backspase - voila! Xserver starts, 3D acceleration enabled, everything works good.
      BUT.
      After reboot I have the same problem than before - black screen and ? at the center.
      I need to downgrade Xorg and then upgrade it again - it works till next reboot
      I can't understand this.

here is my Xorg.0.log http://pastebin.org/39608
      here is my Device section:

Code:
      Identifier  "X200"
      Driver      "ati"
      Option "DRI" "true"
      Option "TexturedVideo" "on"
      Option "EnablePageFlip" "true"
      Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
      BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
      Sorry for my English, Thank you in advance.
      Last edited by sid350; 29 May 2008, 11:37 PM.

Comment

http://pastebin.org/39621 - here is my Xorg.0.log after reboot. System hangs up on startx...

Comment

Three lines seemed a bit suspicious. One at the start :

(WW) Failed to open protocol names file /etc/X11/xserver/protocol.txt

... and a couple near the end marked with **** on the right :

(WW) RADEON(0): DRI init changed memory map, adjusting ...
          (WW) RADEON(0): MC_FB_LOCATION was: 0x3fff3800 is: 0x3fff3800
          (WW) RADEON(0): MC_AGP_LOCATION was: 0xffffffc0 is: 0x41ff4000 ****
          (II) RADEON(0): RADEONRestoreMemMapRegisters() :
          (II) RADEON(0): MC_FB_LOCATION : 0x3fff3800 0x3fff3800
          (II) RADEON(0): MC_AGP_LOCATION : 0x41ff4000
          (II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled
          (II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration enabled for R300/R400/R500 type cards.
          (II) RADEON(0): Setting EXA maxPitchBytes
          (EE) RADEON(0): Failed to determine num pipes from DRM, falling back to manual look-up!
          (II) RADEON(0): num pipes is 3 ****
          Test signature

Comment

can someone make a simple how-to for having xpress200m working with ubuntu 8.04?
            I haven't understood what I must do...
            yea can somebody post a howto for having the opensource driver work on ubuntu hardy? Well I tried the community documentation but didnt work..went straight to the failsafe X.

this was what i followed

thanks in advance. really want to get rid of the fglrx. want it all on opensource goodness!

Comment

Oh yes, I've made it work! Thank you. I've just recompiled DRM modules once again and now "DRI" "true" works for me.
              But compiz don't work. I've changed settings to INDIRECT="yes" and SKIP_CHECKS="yes"

Code:
              sid@sid-laptop:~$ compiz
              Checking for Xgl: not present. 
              Found laptop using radeon driver. 
              SKIP_CHECKS is yes, so continuing despite problems.
              Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present. 
              Checking for non power of two support: present. 
              Checking for Composite extension: present. 
              Comparing resolution (1280x800) to maximum 3D texture size (2048): Passed.
              Checking for nVidia: not present. 
              Checking for FBConfig: present. 
              Checking for Xgl: not present. 
              /usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Fatal: Root visual is not a double buffered GL visual
              /usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
              /usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
              Overall 3d performance is not very good, only 3340 frames in 5.0 seconds = 666.096 FPS in glxgears. But it is better than nothing.

Comment

I'm not sure, but I vaguely remember that you have to tell Compiz to use AIGLX and not XGL. It kinda looks like Compiz is trying to use XGL and not finding it. Take this with a grain of salt though.
                Test signature

Comment

about the rs690, i've now bought a new laptop with it thinking that it would work quite well also with radeon driver, but it seems that it has quite some problems. especially with Xv overlay. xine cannot access it for some unknown reason.
                  i'm now rebuilding the whole system directly with xorg and deps from git to see if these problems are caused by some stuff present on my old system, but i'd like to know if someone has some configuration hints to test out, like a way to disable xv overlay.
                  the other big issue seems to be that the driver cuts the last bottom pixels from the characters. i've tried with the old x200m settings, with removing them, with disabling aiglx, render, damage and so on, but all i've got was the same issues and no rendering. the strange thing is that xorg doesn't seem to load radeon and drm drivers even if they should load. i've tried also radeonhd but the effect is the same and radeonhd and drm driver don't load.
                  any hints?!

thanks

ps. i've just found out this error in my log:

(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
                  dlopen: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so: undefined symbol: noPanoramiXExtension
                  (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
                  (II) UnloadModule: "dri"
                  (EE) Failed to load module "dri" (loader failed, 7)
                  (II) LoadModule: "glx"
                  Last edited by givemesugarr; 08 June 2008, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Just wanted to check something; when you say "XV overlay" I just wanted to mention that the 690 has the avivo display controller so you need to use textured video xv ports, not overlay.

The "bottom pixels" issue seems to have shown up recently; not sure what the cause is. Not sure about the PanoramiX extension either but will see what I can find
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Just wanted to check something; when you say "XV overlay" I just wanted to mention that the 690 has the avivo display controller so you need to use textured video xv ports, not overlay.

The "bottom pixels" issue seems to have shown up recently; not sure what the cause is. Not sure about the PanoramiX extension either but will see what I can find
                      i'm using the textured video, and this cannot seem to be controlled by the texturedvideo option used with fglrx. as xv in kaffeine, i'm speaking about the Xvideo accelerated output, which of course, without dri and radeon modules enabled shouldn't work.
                      as for the panoramix extension, this should be something related to xinerama, but since i've compiled the entire xorg without xinerama it shouldn't bother. i've had this error when compiling xorg some days ago because of mesa latest code incongruences, but i thought it has gotten away.

the bottom chars cut might be related to not accelerated xorg. i'm not retaking some time to recompile all xorg related packages, includign protos, libs and server, but this will take some hours before it finishes.

Comment

Working...
                      X