Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RS480/RS690 OSS Compiz Achieved

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Yep, the radeon driver implements texvid differently from fglrx. With fglrx you have one port and use conf options to determine whether that port uses overlay hardware or textured video. On radeon there are multiple ports (one for overlay, 4 for texvid IIRC) and you need to specify player options to pick the right one.

    Textured video will work on radeon without drm (the acceleration code automatically takes mmio paths if it can't use the command processor aka cp paths) but it definitely runs better with drm/dri enabled.
    Last edited by bridgman; 06-08-2008, 11:57 AM.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Yep, the radeon driver implements texvid differently from fglrx. With fglrx you have one port and use conf options to determine whether that port uses overlay hardware or textured video. On radeon there are multiple ports (one for overlay, 4 for texvid IIRC) and you need to specify player options to pick the right one.

      Textured video will work on radeon without drm (the acceleration code automatically takes mmio paths if it can't use the command processor aka cp paths) but it definitely runs better with drm/dri enabled.
      for the moment also on the new freash build the dri error is still present, even if dri2 module loads. i've managed to fix the cut on the chars by moving to xaa from exa. how do i see the different ports used for video output?! i've tried to look into the log but haven't been able to really understands much of it.

      thanks for the help.

      Comment


      • #63
        There is an xvinfo command which displays the available ports. Not sure if is installed by default or if you need to download a package.

        If you post your log using pastebin or equivalent we should be able to help you understand it.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          There is an xvinfo command which displays the available ports. Not sure if is installed by default or if you need to download a package.

          If you post your log using pastebin or equivalent we should be able to help you understand it.

          here's the log:

          http://pastebin.com/m39856f2a

          i still continue to think that there were some changes in mesa and libdrm git that don't work fine with xorg. i've read on xorg list that there have been quite some problems with the 2 recently and maybe something hasn't been fixed yet.

          and this is xvinfo output:

          Code:
          X-Video Extension version 2.2
          screen #0
           no adaptors present
          kaffeine doesn't seem to work when setting output to 0:0. it works in auto detect mode but it's really really slow to play.

          ps. my board doesn't seem to have a dedicated memory, but only shared one.

          Comment


          • #65
            The log seems to indicate that you're still running XAA :

            (**) RADEON(0): Option "DynamicClocks" "on"
            (**) RADEON(0): Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
            (**) RADEON(0): Option "DRI" "true"

            Might be an older log, I guess, since you mentioned switching to EXA earlier. Enabling EXA sometimes seemed to help with textured video so worth making sure you are running with EXA.

            The log error for drm indicated the version was too old; are you pretty sure that you have a fresh drm built and installed ? If you felt brave it might be worth adding a couple of debug messages to the code in radeon where drm is opened to see exactly what is going on.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              The log seems to indicate that you're still running XAA :

              (**) RADEON(0): Option "DynamicClocks" "on"
              (**) RADEON(0): Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
              (**) RADEON(0): Option "DRI" "true"

              Might be an older log, I guess, since you mentioned switching to EXA earlier. Enabling EXA sometimes seemed to help with textured video so worth making sure you are running with EXA.

              The log error for drm indicated the version was too old; are you pretty sure that you have a fresh drm built and installed ? If you felt brave it might be worth adding a couple of debug messages to the code in radeon where drm is opened to see exactly what is going on.
              as i've said in an earlier post i've switched back to xaa to fix the char cut:

              i've managed to fix the cut on the chars by moving to xaa from exa.
              if i know where to put the debug lines i'd try to do it. the problem is that i don't have much time to see where the dri load call is done when at office. if someone could give a hint to where to add them, thus helping me to save some time on the search, i'd be glad to help.

              if you need to know, the packages i use are:

              libdrm:
              Code:
              repository: git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/drm
              mesa-lib:
              Code:
              repository: git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa
              x11-drm:
              Code:
              repository: git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/drm
              xorg-server:
              Code:
               * git update start -->
               *    repository: git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa
               *    local clone: /var/tmp/distfiles/git-src/mesa
               *    committish: master
              >>> Unpacked to /var/tmp/paludis/x11-base-xorg-server-9999/work/mesa
               * git update start -->
               *    repository: git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/xserver
               *    local clone: /var/tmp/distfiles/git-src/xorg-server
              xorg-server still needs the mesa includes, and for that reason i check 2 git repos.

              the following is the relevant configure options i've used:

              libdrm:
              Code:
              ./configure --prefix=/usr --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --libdir=/usr/lib64 --prefix=/usr --datadir=/usr/share --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
              mesa-libs:
              Code:
              ./configure --prefix=/usr --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --libdir=/usr/lib64 --with-driver=dri --disable-glx-tls --with-dri-drivers=,swrast,radeon,r200,r300 --disable-asm --disable-asm --disable-glut --without-demos --enable-xcb --enable-glw --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
              x11-drm:
              Code:
              ./configure --prefix=/usr --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --libdir=/usr/lib64 --enable-static --disable-shared --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
              xorg-server:
              Code:
              ./configure --prefix=/usr --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --libdir=/usr/lib64 --prefix=/usr --datadir=/usr/share --enable-ipv6 --disable-dmx --disable-kdrive --disable-kdrive-vesa --enable-xvfb --enable-xnest --enable-xfree86-utils --enable-install-libxf86config --enable-dri --enable-xorg --disable-glx-tls --enable-xorgcfg --enable-config-dbus --enable-config-hal --disable-xinerama --sysconfdir=/etc/X11 --localstatedir=/var --enable-install-setuid --with-fontdir=/usr/share/fonts --with-xkb-output=/var/lib/xkb --disable-xsdl --with-mesa-source=/var/tmp/paludis/x11-base-xorg-server-9999/work/mesa --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
              so, unless there is some miscongruence between mesa and xorg the versions should be ok.

              Comment


              • #67
                You need to have have DRI enabled for texvid/exa composite on r5xx and newer IGP chips. The MMIO paths for those do not work reliably. Sounds like you don't have the dri enabled. Can you post your xorg log?

                Comment


                • #68
                  From your log:
                  #(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed (libdri.a too old)
                  #[dri] Disabling DRI.

                  And are you actually building and installing the kernel modules drm.ko and radeon.ko (from the mesa/drm sources)? dmesg|grep drm should give you something like:
                  [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
                  [drm] Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080528 on minor 0

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    You need to have have DRI enabled for texvid/exa composite on r5xx and newer IGP chips. The MMIO paths for those do not work reliably. Sounds like you don't have the dri enabled. Can you post your xorg log?
                    my xorg.log

                    http://pastebin.com/m39856f2a

                    my xorg.conf (i've termporarly went with xaa instead of exa because exa cuts the lower lines of the chars)

                    http://pastebin.com/mb562059

                    From your log:
                    #(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed (libdri.a too old)
                    #[dri] Disabling DRI.

                    And are you actually building and installing the kernel modules drm.ko and radeon.ko (from the mesa/drm sources)? dmesg|grep drm should give you something like:
                    [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
                    [drm] Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080528 on minor 0
                    i'm using git compiled drm and dri. in my previous reply you could not only see the sites i've picked up drm, mesa and xorg but also the configure options. actually dmesg doesn't spit nothing regarding drm or radeon since it has gotten populated with iptables output.
                    Last edited by givemesugarr; 06-09-2008, 11:17 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
                      as i've said in an earlier post i've switched back to xaa to fix the char cut.
                      Sorry, I read your earlier post backwards; thought you said you switched from XAA to EXA. Carry on

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X