RS480/RS690 OSS Compiz Achieved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vtence View Post
    Anybody noticed issues with xrandr and multiple screens with the radeon fix when compiz is on?

I don't know if compiz is supposed to work with multiple screens anyway.
    now i'm testing some kde4 stuff and it doesn't run with xorg-server from git, which is the only one that is able to enable compiz. i don't know why this happens, and i'm a little puzzled by this stuff (the old mesa branch should have been already updated and the error should have been only there).
    to me xrandr has never worked well on multiple monitors, not only now with compiz.

Comment

Anybody noticed issues with xrandr and multiple screens with the radeon fix when compiz is on?

I don't know if compiz is supposed to work with multiple screens anyway.
      Depends how big your extended desktop is; if it's larger than the render target or texture coordinate limits (2k on r3xx/r4xx, 4k on r5xx), you lose at the moment.

Comment

Using Mithrandir's Mesa packages and DDX fresh from git compiz works very well and fast now on Ubuntu 8.04.

Comment

So with these new improvements, has the driver reached playable quality? Can I run for example, Warsow?

Comment

can someone make a simple how-to for having xpress200m working with ubuntu 8.04?
            I haven't understood what I must do...

Comment

Did I get it right?

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              Depends how big your extended desktop is; if it's larger than the render target or texture coordinate limits (2k on r3xx/r4xx, 4k on r5xx), you lose at the moment.
              Thanks for the info.

IIUC, since I have an Xpress200M, my limit is 2k, so I should be able to have my 2 screens stacked vertically (1280x800 + 1280x1024 = 1280x1824) but not horizontally (1280x800 + 1280x1024 = 2560x1024). Right?

Well, that ... sucks. Any idea if this is an issue that could be resolved in the future or if it is a hard limit?

Comment

Thanks for the info.

IIUC, since I have an Xpress200M, my limit is 2k, so I should be able to have my 2 screens stacked vertically (1280x800 + 1280x1024 = 1280x1824) but not horizontally (1280x800 + 1280x1024 = 2560x1024). Right?

Well, that ... sucks. Any idea if this is an issue that could be resolved in the future or if it is a hard limit?
                It's a hard limit of the accelerator, but it can be worked around. Ideally we'd allocated separate buffers for each head rather than one big buffer for both heads. However, this requires changes to both X and mesa.

This will be easier to achieve once we a decent drm memory manager.

Comment

I guess another option would be to do the compositing in multiple steps with each step smaller than the texture limit, but that brings its own set of problems.
                  Test signature

Comment

X200M is too slow for compositing at such high resolutions anyway.

Comment

I have xpress200M (0x5A62) on SamsungR40 laptop and Ubuntu 8.04. I've installed everything needed from http://ppa.launchpad.net/stikonas/ubuntu and http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ubuntu.

Without Option "DRI" "true" and Option "AccelMethod" "EXA" all works well, but without DRI and without acceleration. With Option "AccelMethod" "EXA" I notice _very_ poor performance in 2D.

If i try to add Option "DRI" "true" I see only black screen and system stops, only C+A+SysRq+b helps. But there is no errors in Xorg.0.log. DRI installed succesfully, Acceleration enabled etc.
                      But system freezes and I see only black screen, instead of showing GDM screen, and cursor like "?"

Comment

Working...
                      X