X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    You could try adding a

ChipID 0x9501

override in the Device section and add your 950F in fglrxko_pci_ids.h - this file is pretty simple. Maybe you get it working then just with unsupported ATI watermark. A more brutal way would be changing fglrx_drv.so

sed -i 's/0x9501/0x950F/' fglrx_drv.so

But I guess you need to patch the other header file too, if you want it easy use the same sed command on it. If you are really lucky that works... 0x9501 is standard 3870.
    Hey.

I've tried this on my Gentoo amd64. Unfortunately it had no effect - still the dreaded no screens found, no device etc. Would you know of other checks the driver may be doing? (and of other hacks )

Thanks

Comment

I tried too, and still does not work heh

Comment

Did you recompile the kernel module after the change of the header file?

Comment

It`s not working on Mandriva so I have installed openSuSE and it is working , I just had to put chipId in xorg.conf and it is ok now Thank you very much

P.S.
          I have a in a bottom right corner AMD Logo and it says Unsupported hardware, is there any chance to remove it

Comment

Well I patched out the complete logo code until I discovered that in most cases there is a more easy fix - just to reuse files (in /etc/ati) from other drivers. In your case you would need a logo hack, but will not look into that. Currently I do not even put my old ATI card back in my pc, the new 8800 GTS is just too nice

Comment

Originally posted by gotthard View Post
              It`s not working on Mandriva so I have installed openSuSE and it is working , I just had to put chipId in xorg.conf and it is ok now
              Unfortunately I have a working gentoo system for like 3 years, so I will not switch distributions. Did you notice anything relevant between Mandriva and OpenSuSE that could help on Gentoo?

What I did was:
              1. sed'ed the fglrx_drv.so from the X libs.
              2. changed the header in the fglrx module to contain that hardware id (also compiled and installed the module)
              3. started X with ChipID=9501 and without. (Maybe I should try with ChipID=950F?)

Did I miss anything of relevance?

Comment

Well when you use sed you can not use the chip id override. In that case you have to use it "pure". Or dont sed the fglrx.ko (just reinstall driver) and use chip id override.

Comment

Thanks, Kano, for the quick and helpful reply. I have XVideo back!!! *cheering*

I dare to contradict - using the ChipID override (probably correctly this time) and the sed'ed drivers it worked, using ChipID 0x9501. I guess I may have messed up the ChipID command (or the BusID etc) in Xorg.conf the first time around.

However, I am now at the logo phase - I have browsed the files in /etc/ati, but haven't found anything that would look like a logo-related setting.

Any hints?

Comment

Well if you want to do what I did before use objdump -d fglrx_drv.so and see what you find. I have absolutely not time/lust to put my ati card back into my pc. Maybe if it would be my x2 card, but not for a stupid X700 SE...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      Well if you want to do what I did before use objdump -d fglrx_drv.so and see what you find. I have absolutely not time/lust to put my ati card back into my pc. Maybe if it would be my x2 card, but not for a stupid X700 SE...
                      I will definitely try, as soon as I get back into town. Probably, I will ask for further insight since I haven't yet heard of objdump

Comment

Working...
                      X