• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matiee
    replied
    Originally posted by heruan View Post
    Mine too (X1600) I hope on 8.5!
    Can you give more details?
    I have an X1600, Athlon 64 X2 4400+, Hardy Heron and Catalyst 8.3 drivers suite (version 8.47.3: the ones that shipped with Hardy):

they work much better in Hardy than they did in Gutsy: framerate for 3D apps is much higher and video playback no longer flashes in Hardy (but OpenGL applications still do). Aside from this, Compiz always worked well and now it does better than ever.

I tried 8.4 when I had just upgraded from Gutsy to Hardy, but they behaved exactly the same as 8.3, so I rolled back.

Leave a comment:

• Matiee
    replied
    Originally posted by heruan View Post
    Yes, I was wrong, sorry.

Fundamentally they still seem to be 8.3, but actually the version of Ubuntu's Catalyst suite is 8.47.3 (whilst original ATI's 8.3 suite was 8.47.1). You can see it from Catalyst Control Center.

Anyway, sorry, but because 8.4 still sucked, I decided that I just feel fine enough with the drivers found on Ubuntu's repos, for now, and I don't remember how I managed to fix the problem of diverts.

But if I can tell you: just wait a few days for 8.5 to come out.
    (Because I believe that ATI will fix ALL THE PROBLEMS and they'll be without any doubt THE BEST DRIVER SUITE EVER RELEASED, yes yes, I believe...)

Leave a comment:

• Porter
    replied
    Originally posted by nochka85 View Post
    Yes ... and I know that with metacity there's no problem .... BUT I really hope that it will be fixed in the 8.5 (and because compiz is automaticaly active by default in Ubuntu .... so lot of ATI users have the same problem)
    Compiz certainly wasn't automatically active on mine... I'm not sure why you experienced that.

The ATI developers are focusing on robust operation under normal conditions first, i.e. non-compiz. The flickering you're experiencing is a side-effect of the way that compiz and xorg currently work, it has nothing to do with the ATI driver. The "indirect direct rendering" workaround is a hack of sorts to address the (current) fundamental shortcomings of the compiz/xorg situation.

Leave a comment:

• nochka85
    replied
    Originally posted by Porter View Post
    Flashing?

Are you using compiz?
    Yes ... and I know that with metacity there's no problem .... BUT I really hope that it will be fixed in the 8.5 (and because compiz is automaticaly active by default in Ubuntu .... so lot of ATI users have the same problem)

Leave a comment:

• Porter
    replied
    Xv ? Perfect ??? .... it still flashing when I'm not in full screen with my 9800XT ! .... Did I miss a solution ?
    Flashing?

Are you using compiz?

Leave a comment:

• heruan
    replied
    Xv ? Perfect ??? .... it still flashing when I'm not in full screen with my 9800XT ! .... Did I miss a solution ?
    Mine too (X1600) I hope on 8.5!

Leave a comment:

• nochka85
    replied
    Originally posted by Malikith View Post
    I have a small list of bugs I have been able to run across in my time using fglrx, mostly game bugs/slightly slow performance:

- Performance still isn't quite there as we all know, hopefully they will be able to resolve and bring us a bit further to that peak performance.

- The Savage 2 player model bug needs to be fixed.

- Glest freezes upon creating a building, if you don't move your cursor for a few seconds it will come back but as soon as you move again with the transparent building it will freeze again complaining about buffer underruns in the console. This may not be a bug with fglrx, it could just be a glest problem.

- Finish their work on Xv its nearly perfect already.

- Fix AGP HD 2xxx cards.

- Support HD 3xxx cards officially.

- Implement the pointsprites for Kano.

- More compiz fixes.

Theres their list of mine, of course theres many more problems than that but I either forgot about them or don't know about them. This list isn't even that long, you'd think they'd be able to handle that within a month or two but of course they have other priorities..

Leave a comment:

• heruan
    replied
    Originally posted by Matiee View Post
    8.04 drivers for Hardy are on the repos already. Much simpler
    Are you sure? It seems not:

Leave a comment:

• Matiee
    replied
    Originally posted by alya84 View Post
    hai..i would like to ask about howto edit the driver.preinst and driver.postrm since im using hardy 8.04. I got same problem with this thingy...

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite xorg-driver-fglrx_8.476-0*.deb
    (Reading database ... 102708 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace xorg-driver-fglrx 1:7.1.0-8-3+2.6.24.12-16.34 (using xorg-driver-fglrx_8.476-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
    * Stopping atieventsd [ OK ]
    dpkg-divert: `diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib32/libGL.so.1 to /usr/X11R6/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx' clashes with `diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib32/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/X11R6/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx'
    dpkg: error processing xorg-driver-fglrx_8.476-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--install):
    subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 2
    * Starting atieventsd [ OK ]
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    xorg-driver-fglrx_8.476-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    8.04 drivers for Hardy are on the repos already. Much simpler

Leave a comment:

• sid350
    replied
    There is horrible tearing in XV and openGL on x200m even without compiz. With compiz it is completely unuseable. Tearing is everywhere, browser can't scroll with normal speed.

Work Ati, the sun still high!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X