Expected 8.4 features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daniel of sarnia View Post
    glad to see I'm not suffering alone My X1900XTX gets so hot that I get these little stuck pixels on my monitor (I thought it was my lcd t'll one winter day I left my window open and they were all gone, after I closed it and the room warmed up a couple hours latter they came back) 3D gets really corrupt after playing a while and with 8.03 just crashes in ETQW after about 5 min of playing. I cleaned the dust out of the heat sink and cleaned off the old thermal grease off the gpu for some fresh stuff. It helped a little be I still have the problem basic problem. I don't even know if I can check the temp with fglrx but it seems all singes point to hot...
    Yes, I get the feeling my card is running 100% full load at all times (even on the desktop) for some reason. Thats another thing they need to fix as people do actually have that problem. Have you tried touching the heatsink after a hour of sitting on the desktop? I just did and its just warm so it can't be that hot. Although your card would get alot hotter than mine would.

Edit:

Of course, just after I said all of this and loaded up sauerbraten I locked up within 5 minutes. Haha.
    Last edited by Malikith; 16 April 2008, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
      I have a small list of bugs I have been able to run across in my time using fglrx, mostly game bugs/slightly slow performance:

- Performance still isn't quite there as we all know, hopefully they will be able to resolve and bring us a bit further to that peak performance.

- The Savage 2 player model bug needs to be fixed.

- Glest freezes upon creating a building, if you don't move your cursor for a few seconds it will come back but as soon as you move again with the transparent building it will freeze again complaining about buffer underruns in the console. This may not be a bug with fglrx, it could just be a glest problem.

- Finish their work on Xv its nearly perfect already.
      I see it as a joke. Xv is far from perfect - many applications can't use it on most boards. Many of them are analog TV watching apps.
      Just one example - KDETV (tested on some R300 and R400 cards). With radeon driver Xv works without problems with these apps.

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
      - Fix AGP HD 2xxx cards.

- Support HD 3xxx cards officially.

- Implement the pointsprites for Kano.

- More compiz fixes.

Theres their list of mine, of course theres many more problems than that but I either forgot about them or don't know about them. This list isn't even that long, you'd think they'd be able to handle that within a month or two but of course they have other priorities..
      You've forgot about DualHead bugs:
      - Improve stability for DualHead configurations
      - Make GL application work with indirect rendering in DualHead (every application crashes the xserver - even glxinfo, glxgears)
      - Make FGLRX to use LCD,CRT,LVDM,TV as desired in xorg.conf
      - Make compiz with AIGLX work in DualHead configuration (texture_from_mipmap problem with direct rendering and xserver crash with indirect rendering)

These problems are first on my importance list.

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post
        I see it as a joke. Xv is far from perfect - many applications can't use it on most boards. Many of them are analog TV watching apps.
        Just one example - KDETV (tested on some R300 and R400 cards). With radeon driver Xv works without problems with these apps.
        Yeah thats true, on R500 it works pretty well for the most part except for a few things at least from what I experienced. But on other cards yeah they are a bit shakey. Especially using TV apps. From what I hear apps like tvtime don't work right at all on any card still.

Originally posted by xeros View Post
        You've forgot about DualHead bugs:
        - Improve stability for DualHead configurations
        - Make GL application work with indirect rendering in DualHead (every application crashes the xserver - even glxinfo, glxgears)
        - Make FGLRX to use LCD,CRT,LVDM,TV as desired in xorg.conf
        - Make compiz with AIGLX work in DualHead configuration (texture_from_mipmap problem with direct rendering and xserver crash with indirect rendering)

These problems are first on my importance list.
        Ahh thats right, DualHead is something I don't use so that didn't come to mind but yeah that is another thing that really really needs some attention from the developers since alot of people do use it (or at least want to).

Comment

I just want my HD2600 AGP PRO to work properly.

Comment

Perhaps it's just me beeing a newb-esque, but there is
            a nice 51 MiB download when I type in this in my adressb

Comment

Originally posted by daniel of sarnia View Post
              glad to see I'm not suffering alone My X1900XTX gets so hot that I get these little stuck pixels on my monitor (I thought it was my lcd t'll one winter day I left my window open and they were all gone, after I closed it and the room warmed up a couple hours latter they came back) 3D gets really corrupt after playing a while and with 8.03 just crashes in ETQW after about 5 min of playing. I cleaned the dust out of the heat sink and cleaned off the old thermal grease off the gpu for some fresh stuff. It helped a little be I still have the problem basic problem. I don't even know if I can check the temp with fglrx but it seems all singes point to hot...
              Seems to me that you have some cooling issues on your computer. I believe that your card is running hotter due to the drivers, but in worst case they would only be able to generate as much heat as running any 3D intensive application, and your computer should be able to cope with the heat.

You might wanna check your heatsink, thermal paste and coolers.

Just my 2c .

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas View Post
                Seems to me that you have some cooling issues on your computer. I believe that your card is running hotter due to the drivers, but in worst case they would only be able to generate as much heat as running any 3D intensive application, and your computer should be able to cope with the heat.

You might wanna check your heatsink, thermal paste and coolers.

Just my 2c .
                ok but it's no good that the GPU works at 100% all the time!

i'm running a M76 and it happens to me with radeonhd (and happened with fglrx 8.41)... but it's not normal!

but now the question i think is no more "expected features", but "release date" of 8.4!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
                  ok but it's no good that the GPU works at 100% all the time!

i'm running a M76 and it happens to me with radeonhd (and happened with fglrx 8.41)... but it's not normal!

but now the question i think is no more "expected features", but "release date" of 8.4!!
                  As I said, I definitelly agree with you that running 100% is just plain stupid, but the corruption on the image due to heat is not a good sign. You might do permanent damage to your card (and then buy a nVidia ).

And yes, what about release date? It should be near!

Comment

Damn those fancy antispam rules, can't post link.
                    I somehow managed to dl 8.4 (guess they are) by
                    swapping 8.3 to 8.4 in usual download link.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by clavko View Post
                      Damn those fancy antispam rules, can't post link.
                      I somehow managed to dl 8.4 (guess they are) by
                      swapping 8.3 to 8.4 in usual download link.

Any thoughts?
                      Haha =), that actually works.

*On to inspect the contents of this new perhaps-to-be-fglrx-8.4 mystery-file*

Comment

Working...
                      X