Xv on x1400 with Radeon 3/26 version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xv on x1400 with Radeon 3/26 version

Excited about the newly added Xvideo support in the radeon driver, I installed a pre-packaged Ubuntu package of the latest git from

It claimed to support Xv when I did xvinfo. However when I tried (on a mobility x1400 btw) to play movies (in mplayer and totem), the movie display was all white, and the computer crashed hard after a few seconds (still with some HDD activity).

Oh well, hopefully soon

Hmm, I got that package yesterday, and now I see that there's a newer one. Time to try it again

Originally posted by elenius View Post
    Excited about the newly added Xvideo support in the radeon driver, I installed a pre-packaged Ubuntu package of the latest git from

It claimed to support Xv when I did xvinfo. However when I tried (on a mobility x1400 btw) to play movies (in mplayer and totem), the movie display was all white, and the computer crashed hard after a few seconds (still with some HDD activity).

Oh well, hopefully soon

Hmm, I got that package yesterday, and now I see that there's a newer one. Time to try it again
    try enabling EXA as well:
    Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"

Also try again with the latest drm installed from git.

Comment

Also, are you setting the port of the Textured Video adapter (as you saw from xvinfo) when starting your video app?

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        try enabling EXA as well:
        Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"

Also try again with the latest drm installed from git.
        I tried it with the 3/28 version. With EXA enabled, X freezes right after logging in. Without it, same behavior as before.

Comment

Originally posted by elenius View Post
          I tried it with the 3/28 version. With EXA enabled, X freezes right after logging in. Without it, same behavior as before.
          I have exactly the same behavior on a Lenovo T60 with X1300. And I tried to remove fglrx driver, to use different kind of combinations of options in xorg.conf, but none got succeeded.

Comment

EXA on my rv515 fails unless I load the drm, I'll see what we can do but really accel with out a DRM is a pain in the ass, and I'm all for disabling it in radeon to simplify the codepaths.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
              EXA on my rv515 fails unless I load the drm, I'll see what we can do but really accel with out a DRM is a pain in the ass, and I'm all for disabling it in radeon to simplify the codepaths.
              Sorry, but what's this DRM thing and how do I install it?

Comment

Workaround for hard lock up problems (fglrx)

690G IGP ATI x1250 128MB fedora 8 x68_64 latest proprietary fglrx from AMD website

As wolf said, my post should be moved to fglrx, but interesting anyway.

Now I believe locks are due to memory allocation issues, and has nothing to do with userland apps or games.

Good luck.
                Last edited by c247; 01 April 2008, 07:39 PM. Reason: title

Comment

Originally posted by c247 View Post
                  ATI x1250 IGP 128MB

No lock ups now, using standard configuration. I was having complete lock ups when playing urbanterror. Short answer, use amdcccle to set all 3D options to on (always on)

More info about what I tried here:

Good luck.
                  Thanks for the tip, but we are having a different issue which involves radeon driver instead of fglrx.

Comment

Tried with latest RadeonHD (4/1 version) from the same source. No Xv or xrandr support yet, so sticking with regular Radeon.

Comment

Working...
                    X