No announcement yet.

Radeon vs. RadeonHD Drivers In H1'08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The user will try and spin the compiz cube with 10 eye candy plugins enabled or try playing stage 2 of some 3D game and wonder why the whole computer hangs.
    Check bugs on any driver out there. Most are "my monitor in this configuration doesn't work", "my vt doesn't restore" or "resume is broken".

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      There was no atombios support r1xx-r3xx. If you don't want new functionality, stick with the old driver.
      So users of r1xx-r4xx should not update to 6.8.0 at all?
      So legacy means "deprecated".

Exactly. Acceleration is much harder get stable than modesetting. How many stable 3D drivers are there compared to drivers that can get a picture on the screen?
      Learn to walk first, then run. Also, acceleration when it works on one family of graphics devices, will run unaltered on pretty much the whole range.

But do keep this story up. I'm sure that in different circumstances you will start saying the exact opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
        You must not use any of the modern hardware I've worked with. Acceleration features on any modern hardware is never simple,
        Oh? And here i was, thinking that writing 3D drivers was going to be easier than ever. All i keep on hearing is that, once the infrastructure is in place, 3d drivers are trivial. I must have been listening to the wrong people i guess.

modesetting is a lot lot lot easier..
        Oh? Are you the same Dave Airlie that usually claims to have been """involved""" with all major modesetting drivers? Like some kind of demi-god, knowing all and everything, being everywhere in ominous amounts?

Because next time you do talk about the importance of your "involvement" in modesetting, i will be calling you on this here.

So maybe you shouldn't change your story depending on how the wind blows. Someone, especially me, will be calling you to such statements. Just like i will continue to call you to how you failed to grasp the real concept of output abstraction.

Didn't you rip out the one useful acceleration feature for VIA hardware from unichrome (hw mpeg decoding).
        Yes, and i subsequently rewrote the whole Xv subsystem underneath, making it the only implementation that triggers the different engines in the way the hardware designers intended. In about half the code too.

Also... Re-adding MPEG slice decoding took about 700loc (in my spacious coding style) with everything wired up correctly. About 1/12th or so of the original code.

Once you really know what makes the hardware tick, you really know how to code it up well too. Before that, you're just crapping around in the dark, stepping in your previous deposits all the time.

I think you need to actually do some accel work copying it from radeon will make it easy as we will have debugged it already. We're nice like that.
        Just as nice as copying most of the hard modesetting work from radeonhd was for you i suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
          So users of r1xx-r4xx should not update to 6.8.0 at all?
          So legacy means "deprecated".
          If the want randr 1.2 support they should update. For the vast vast majority of users 6.8.0 works fine. The code was significantly refactored to support randr 1.2. Any large code change like that will have some fall out. I don't have every card and I can't test every combination. When bugs are reported we try and fix them.

Comment

Well, lets just except that we have differing opinions folks. There is enough room for two separate OSS drivers. No need to bicker or argue.

In the end it will be the end user who benefits. Lets just agree to disagree and continue to develop the drivers the way you see fit. We'll have two separate drivers that we can choose from. I think it is better this way and we should all be happy to have a choice.

Comment

Differing opinions et al. are perfectly acceptable and totally expected.

Making a point of being rude is not. Only one person has done this. I don't know about elsewhere, but in this thread it is *not* a two way street.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                The ati/radeon devs are doing a great job, but in my opinion, RadeonHD is the way to go if you have R500+ hardware... at this early state I found RadeonHD to be rockstable already while ati/radeon has serious problems with TexturedVideo and 2D acceleration for me, and I think the RadeonHD driver will take the lead in performance and stability later this year...
                I just joined the Sidux waggon and plan to stay there forever

Comment

I don't care who...just give me the 690G!

I bought the GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H (Socket AM2 AMD 690G HDMI Micro ATX) last year in late August. It has been over 6 months and I still cannot use all the advertised features of the chipset.

Tell me when you all think you'll have all that stuff together and I promise I will come and test it.

Until then, my recommendation still is to use Windows XP and Intel chipsets for new HTPCs.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Monkey_King View Post
                    I bought the GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H (Socket AM2 AMD 690G HDMI Micro ATX) last year in late August. It has been over 6 months and I still cannot use all the advertised features of the chipset.

Tell me when you all think you'll have all that stuff together and I promise I will come and test it.
                    Most things (HMDI, DVI, VGA, 2D, basic 3D, Xv, EXA composite accel) (except TV/Component) should work with the latest mesa/drm/radeon bits from git.

Comment

Hello!
                      I am using Hardy Heron with the VESA driver.
                      My needs are pretty basic for GPU. I do lots of programing, web surfing, watching divx/xvid, x264 movies,...

So which driver would you recommend? And what would be the advantages over the VESA driver?

Sapphire Radeon 3850 256MB

Comment

Working...
                      X