No announcement yet.

Full EXA Composite For R300-500 GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still doing great on EXA with AccelDFS enabled. No scrolling problems to report at all anymore. If anything, the latest git pushes to the driver have improved my stability. FPS increased by about 100 in glxgears as well. Good work!

Comment

The latest git pushes to the driver changed a couple of things on my Radeon 9700 Pro. Glxgears increased by 50 FPS on average. The biggest improvement is on the textured video front. Quality went up, but quality and framerate is still lower than overlay. Mainly CPU usage with textured video is 100%, while with overlay is around 30% for the same fullscreen.

Comment

I'm having issues with stuff that uses the 3d engine.

I have an x1600. When I switch on composite, the whole system freezes after a couple of seconds. I'm thinking that it's an initialization issue, because the fan on my card throttles to full speed right after the system freezes. This also happens when I try to use Xv with textured video.

Is the x1600 known not to work with this stuff yet? It seems like it might be hard to trace the problem, because no error is given and I have to hard reset my computer before it works again.

A second, somewhat more trivial (but annoying) issue is that the ati driver garbles my framebuffer console as soon as Xorg starts up, so I can't go back to text mode.

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
          I'm having issues with stuff that uses the 3d engine.

I have an x1600. When I switch on composite, the whole system freezes after a couple of seconds. I'm thinking that it's an initialization issue, because the fan on my card throttles to full speed right after the system freezes. This also happens when I try to use Xv with textured video.

Is the x1600 known not to work with this stuff yet? It seems like it might be hard to trace the problem, because no error is given and I have to hard reset my computer before it works again.

A second, somewhat more trivial (but annoying) issue is that the ati driver garbles my framebuffer console as soon as Xorg starts up, so I can't go back to text mode.
          This code is still new, so there are still some bugs that need to be shaken out. Please file bugs for these issues and attach your xorg logs and configs.

Comment

This code is still new, so there are still some bugs that need to be shaken out. Please file bugs for these issues and attach your xorg logs and configs.
            Might have to wait until after I get back from vacation. I'll get to it though, crummy ati drivers were the primary reason I've been stuck on Windows for most stuff, so I want to help improve them any way I can.

I'm hoping I might have time this summer to actually learn how the hardware and drivers work so I can contribute code myself. But right now I'm unfortuately too busy.

Comment

exa + composite is working really great now on my radeon 9700. no matter whether i use compiz or the old xcompmgr - scrolling and blending is f***ing fast and keeps the cpu almost idle.
              thanks to all who made this possible, you are doing a great job

Comment

3D almost there on R520

Hi,

After the recent work by Alex I decided to try the latest 'radeon' driver, kernel drm module, and mesa (all from git). At first I would just get an error when starting 3D:

Code:
                $ glxinfo
                unknown chip id 0x7100, can't guess
                so I added my PCI id to the mesa source and now I get:

Code:
                $ glxinfo
                name of display: :0.0
                display: :0  screen: 0
                direct rendering: Yes
                server glx vendor string: SGI
                server glx version string: 1.2
                server glx extensions:
                    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, 
                    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, 
                    GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGIS_multisample, 
                    GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group
                client glx vendor string: SGI
                client glx version string: 1.4
                client glx extensions:
                    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, 
                    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_allocate_memory, 
                    GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_swap_control, 
                    GLX_MESA_swap_frame_usage, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_OML_sync_control, 
                    GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync, 
                    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, 
                    GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
                GLX version: 1.2
                GLX extensions:
                    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, 
                    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, 
                    GLX_MESA_swap_control, GLX_MESA_swap_frame_usage, GLX_OML_swap_method, 
                    GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGIS_multisample, 
                    GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group
                OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
                OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2 NO-TCL
                OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 7.1
                OpenGL extensions:
                    GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_imaging, 
                    GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, 
                    GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, 
                    GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, 
                    GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, 
                    GL_MESAX_texture_float, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, 
                    GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, 
                    GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_window_pos, 
                    GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_blend_color, 
                    GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, 
                    GL_EXT_blend_logic_op, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, 
                    GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_EXT_convolution, 
                    GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, 
                    GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_EXT_histogram, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, 
                    GL_EXT_polygon_offset, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_EXT_secondary_color, 
                    GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, 
                    GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_subtexture, GL_EXT_texture, GL_EXT_texture3D, 
                    GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, 
                    GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, 
                    GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, 
                    GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_object, 
                    GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_APPLE_packed_pixels, 
                    GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate, GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, 
                    GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, 
                    GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_INGR_blend_func_separate, 
                    GL_MESA_pack_invert, GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture, GL_MESA_window_pos, 
                    GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_NV_texture_rectangle, 
                    GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_NV_vertex_program, GL_OES_read_format, 
                    GL_SGI_color_matrix, GL_SGI_color_table, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, 
                    GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, 
                    GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_SGIX_depth_texture

visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
                 id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                0x21 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
                0x22 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
                0x6c 32 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
                when I try to use 3D, like glxgears, nothing shows up except a black screen where the gears should be, but the text output tells me I'm getting about 3000-4000 fps. is 3D really this close to working? any suggestions on how I can get it working on my X1800 PCIe 512MB card?

Code:
                05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc R520 [Radeon X1800] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
                        Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 0b12
                        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 21
                        Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
                        Memory at fd7f0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
                        I/O ports at 7c00 [size=256]
                        [virtual] Expansion ROM at fd700000 [disabled] [size=128K]
                        Capabilities: <access denied>

05:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc R520 [Radeon X1800] (Secondary)
                        Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 0b13
                        Flags: fast devsel
                        Memory at fd7e0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=64K]
                        Capabilities: <access denied>
                If you need to see my xorg.log I put a copy at:

HTML Code:
                http://www.webaccel.net/surfer/xorg.log
                Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
                Matt.
                Last edited by surfer; 20 March 2008, 06:48 PM.

Comment

The R5xx 3D support is not in the main repositories yet. Dave's blog page has links to the private branches - one for mesa and one for DRM.

As I understand it, right now the R5xx 3D code is working on RV5xx parts but has problems with R5xx parts like yours.

http://airlied.livejournal.com

Then again, it's only been running for a day so it might get better tonight
                  Test signature

Comment

surfer,

I tried with a 0x7100 this morning with a blank screen. but no results were shown in my case.

I had then tried with an RV515, but that too had the same problem for me.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The 3D driver and EXA composite support are separate things. All you need to try out the new EXA composite is the radeon driver from git and optionally the latest drm bits for CP support. To play with r5xx 3D, you need the latest radeon bits and Dave's drm and mesa branches. Also, Dave just got it running last night, so it may or may not work for everyone yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X