ATI R200 Documentation Coming Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Hi kurukafa; no update yet, probably next week before we get a chance to spend any time on this.

I just want to stress that all the programming info in the doc is already included in the current open source drivers, so this will not allow any more development or bug fixing. The R200 driver was written using this documentation, and the Xorg developers probably know the R200 better than we do these days. The sole purpose for releasing the doc is as an "interesting read" for someone who is just learning about GPUs.

The upside is that it might give a better understanding of how R200-class GPUs work, but the downside is that the understanding will be for a GPU which is now 5 generations old and which doesn't have much in common with currently shipping parts.
    Rumors are wide-spread that the documents will be released REAL soon (in the orders of days). Any denials or otherwise supportive information regarding the issue will highly be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by kurukafa; 16 March 2009, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Nope, not much change here. I guess you can call that a denial.
      Test signature

Comment

Nope, not much change here. I guess you can call that a denial.
        Rumors... :-(

Comment

Yeah... sorry.
          Test signature

Comment

Hi kurukafa; no update yet, probably next week before we get a chance to spend any time on this.

I just want to stress that all the programming info in the doc is already included in the current open source drivers, so this will not allow any more development or bug fixing. The R200 driver was written using this documentation, and the Xorg developers probably know the R200 better than we do these days. The sole purpose for releasing the doc is as an "interesting read" for someone who is just learning about GPUs.

The upside is that it might give a better understanding of how R200-class GPUs work, but the downside is that the understanding will be for a GPU which is now 5 generations old and which doesn't have much in common with currently shipping parts.
            Hi,

just curious (after nearly 15 years ), has this ever happened in the end?

Comment

Working...
            X