No announcement yet.

AMD Releases R300 3D Register Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The largest part of the impact from the R3xx documentation will be in the 3D stack (mesa/mesa mostly, mesa/drm a bit) which is separate from radeonhd and radeon anyways. That said, most of what was traditionally thought of as "2D acceleration" (video, EXA etc..) now relies heavily on the 3D engine and the docs will also allow improvements there.

Since the radeonhd driver is aimed only at more recent chips (currently R5xx and up) you won't see R3xx/4xx work done directly in that driver, but any improvement made to the acceleration code in radeon will probably have some impact on radeonhd shortly afterwards. As an example, Alex was able to get full EXA Render working for the first time last night on R300, and that work is an important step towards providing the same functionality on R5xx and higher ASICs.
    Test signature

Comment

PowerPlay specs

Hi, I would also like to ask (as ssmaxss did) when will be the PowerPlay specification released. because it is the only think that makes me use fglrx instead of radeon driver (correct me if I`m wrong, there is no xrandr support in fglr).

pK

Comment

We're still figuring out how much work it will be to organize power management documentation, so we don't really have a schedule yet. I can say that it seems like it should be the next priority after R6xx 3D, but I don't know how many chip-to-chip differences we are going to have to deal with.
        Test signature

Comment

r300 powerplay specs

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          We're still figuring out how much work it will be to organize power management documentation, so we don't really have a schedule yet. I can say that it seems like it should be the next priority after R6xx 3D, but I don't know how many chip-to-chip differences we are going to have to deal with.
          Hi, any progress here?

Thanks in advance

pK

Comment

Originally posted by kingos View Post
            Hi, any progress here?
            Since r6xx 3D specs are not out so far, the power specs for the lower series ain't out either.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I do want to re-release the Radeon 8500 programming guide without NDA, but mostly since it is a pretty good introductary guide for new driver devs. I doubt there is a line of text in the document which has not already been used in the radeon (xf86-video-ati) driver so re-releasing the doc isn't really going to help advance the R200 driver support, but if it allows a few more people to become active developers that can make a big difference.

We have to locate the original document in the archives and change all the legal text before releasing it, and we simply felt that getting the 3d information out there was a higher priority. Other than IDCT/MC for video decoding I don't think there is much info about the R100 and R200 which isn't already known to the devs. The R200 has some programmable vertex shader (PVS) capability which isn't fully documented today but (a) the R5xx and R3xx 3d docs give a pretty good idea how it works, and (b) I don't think adding PVS support to R200 will make a big difference to users these days (but I'm open to comments there).
              mhh so no progress in this sector?

If r200 model is not difficult it would be a nice start since many people still own such chips

Comment

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
                mhh so no progress in this sector?

If r200 model is not difficult it would be a nice start since many people still own such chips
                I think this is the greatest informations GAP in the open source world, we mostly don't know what is the most common hardware on which linux run and so to which kind of hardware we should still pay attention. If you look at all the latest development in the desktop area (compiz, kde, ...) they pretty much all assume that user have some kind of recent GPU like HD2xxx or newer (r5xx at least). I think some distributions try to gather hardware informations but don't know if anyone beside them can know what is the most used hardware.

Sidenote: i hope all AGP will die quickly (quicker the better)

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
                  I think this is the greatest informations GAP in the open source world, we mostly don't know what is the most common hardware on which linux run and so to which kind of hardware we should still pay attention. If you look at all the latest development in the desktop area (compiz, kde, ...) they pretty much all assume that user have some kind of recent GPU like HD2xxx or newer (r5xx at least). I think some distributions try to gather hardware informations but don't know if anyone beside them can know what is the most used hardware.

Sidenote: i hope all AGP will die quickly (quicker the better)
                  But it means we should also change the whole computer as well... and mine (AthlonXP 2600+) still works quite well (ok, firefox should start faster to make me happy... but that's not a big problem )

And not everybody uses the most recent fancy devourers of resources so old good HW is still functional sometimes. ok, I know AGP may be a problematic architecture but who designed it is the one to blame

Comment

I am also in the crowd that is eagerly awaiting PowerPlay support in the radeon driver for my Mobility X600 card, especially now that AMD has dropped support for that card in fglrx.
                    Any news on that matter?

Comment

Originally posted by signor_rossi View Post
                      I am also in the crowd that is eagerly awaiting PowerPlay support in the radeon driver for my Mobility X600 card, especially now that AMD has dropped support for that card in fglrx.
                      Any news on that matter?
                      Most of powersaving options should already be supported for X600 (R4xx) chipset (man radeon and look for anythings with clock in the name). I believe Powerplay was introduced with X1xxx (R5XX) and is part of atombios. Note that Matthew Garrett also have a couple of nice powersaving tricks available for r5xx.

Comment

Working...
                      X