No announcement yet.

AMD Releases R300 3D Register Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many people still have ATI Radeon 9200/9200SE/9200PRO cards so any improvement in the driver for these chipsets is very welcome. And I'm still waiting for improvements in R300 driver code.
    Is there any date planned for new release of Radeon driver?
    Last edited by xeros; 16 March 2008, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Yes this is true, i'm try Sauerbraten with Ati 9250. In Windows water refraction/reflection not slowing things like the same game with radeon driver in Ubuntu (don't know exactly, but this is
      seems to be due lack of occlusion extension (i'm read somewhare that this extension has some IP status, and because of that is hard to implement in radeon?) and because of this many games is very slow
      in open areas). And yes enabled hyperz in driconf speed things a bit with some games, but have weird bugs plus, in Serious Sam (or JediKnight: JA) in Wine, or with native installer for SSam F/S (how to say) unplug/perforation/blinked lighting in areas with sun rays, lamps or similar. Also Doom3 has some problems with mirroring, that's not happen in Windows, etc... There is much room of improvements on r200, maybe that documentations help developers in some for these kind of problems and on the other hand also
      with newer chips.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
        Is there anything standing in the way of fully-capable 3D OpenGL support for R300 cards now? And video playback too?
        Actually, people to write the code...

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
          IDCT/MC is probably the main missing bit, I know it changed between r200 and r300 also
          I never see anyone mention the deinterlacing capabilities that seem to have been in radeons for a long time.

Do you have any info on this, or know if my RV530 has h/w capabilities that can be exposed/documented.

I also have in other family members older PCs a 7500 and a 9600.

My wife watches interlaced DVB-T quite a lot on the 7500 and doesn't have enough CPU to do nice software deint, so it would be nice to see it work or get some info about it.

Comment

I think the deinterlacing is built into the overlay block on the pre-5xx Radeons, while on 5xx and up de-interlacing is done with shaders.
            Test signature

Comment

That's really nice... Gives me hope of using OSS drivers on my Mobility X700!

Unfortunatelly that depends on people to code it. If I had the time and the knowledge I wouldn't mind helping, but that's no the case right now.

AMD is really surprising me with that and the latest driver, which at least fixed some lame bugs and also gave performance improvement in AIGLX.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                I think the deinterlacing is built into the overlay block on the pre-5xx Radeons, while on 5xx and up de-interlacing is done with shaders.
                Thanks for the info.

It would be great if the docs for it could be released - I have never seen it work - testing R100 on windows, with vlc/directx didn't get anywhere. I thought maybe the player needed to know to spit out 50 fields/sec rather than kludge them into 25fps or something. I tried ati player, but my wifes box is old and doesn't have DVD. The DVB-T is streamed on my lan and I couldn't get it play the stream.

As for my RV530 - it would be a great feature to have as 1080i has been adopted as the HD standard here in the UK. I can do a nice framerate doubling deint in softwere (mplayer -vf yadif=1) for SD OK on my box, but it eats lots of CPU so HD won't work. An added complication being I will (if I ever get round to getting a DVB-S card) need to downscale for my monitor which judging by the HD mpeg2 test streams [1] makes interlacing artifacts look even worse.

If 5xx and up use shaders for deint I guess that holds out the posibility of a player doing the same with ARB instructions like mplayer does with -vo gl ?

I noticed on fglrx that xv still beats -vo gl for CPU usage doing yuv->rgb and scaling - is that just because the gl fragment prog is less efficient or is the gl yuv->rgb & scale very different internally to the one xv uses?

Sorry for so many questions :-)

I guess the player may be at fault here aswell for apparently kludging 50 fields/sec to 25fps.

HD test streams park run and newmobilecalendar from

Some SD streams (low bitrates - x_015 are mpeg1 and high x_400 are 4:2:2 so use others which are mpeg2 4:2:0).
                bbc3 is particulary nasty for interlacing artifacts on a CRT @ 1024x768.

ftp://ftp.tek.com/tv/test/streams/El...PEG-Video/625/

Comment

It will be grate if you will release specifications for PowerPlay support. Now it doesn't work on my mobile radeon 9200. For example see this bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7061
                  T

Comment

hello, now that amd released the register references for r3xx cards, i wonder which driver will be improved (radeonhd (maybe not)?, r300?, new_driver?) will it be dri2 only?
                    id basically like to follow development on this one, i have a 9800pro and curently use fglrx for performance. fglrx performance isnt as it could be but still much better than current r300.

Comment

Originally posted by jimik View Post
                      hello, now that amd released the register references for r3xx cards, i wonder which driver will be improved (radeonhd (maybe not)?, r300?, new_driver?) will it be dri2 only?
                      id basically like to follow development on this one, i have a 9800pro and curently use fglrx for performance. fglrx performance isnt as it could be but still much better than current r300.
                      Add this to your Bookmarks Toolbar (RSS Feeds):

Radeon:

RadeonHD

...and you can track the convo's in the IRC channels either by going to #radeon or #radeonhd on the Freenode IRC servers. Or you can read up on it via http://www.radeonhd.org/

Then of course, anything that's posted there and there you go ^^

Comment

Working...
                      X