No announcement yet.

AMD Releases R300 3D Register Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this everything for R300 based cards?

Is there anything standing in the way of fully-capable 3D OpenGL support for R300 cards now? And video playback too?

Comment

What about R200?

I know R1xx-R2xx specs were (partly) released under NDA. Then I wonder, does it make any sense to keep those old chips specs "private" when the newer ones are disclosed?

Comment

Originally posted by Pickup View Post
        I know R1xx-R2xx specs were (partly) released under NDA. Then I wonder, does it make any sense to keep those old chips specs "private" when the newer ones are disclosed?

I don't believe they want to invest much time in chips that old, but I think the larger problem is finding any of those NDA documents these days as I think John mentioned before.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I do want to re-release the Radeon 8500 programming guide without NDA, but mostly since it is a pretty good introductary guide for new driver devs. I doubt there is a line of text in the document which has not already been used in the radeon (xf86-video-ati) driver so re-releasing the doc isn't really going to help advance the R200 driver support, but if it allows a few more people to become active developers that can make a big difference.

We have to locate the original document in the archives and change all the legal text before releasing it, and we simply felt that getting the 3d information out there was a higher priority. Other than IDCT/MC for video decoding I don't think there is much info about the R100 and R200 which isn't already known to the devs. The R200 has some programmable vertex shader (PVS) capability which isn't fully documented today but (a) the R5xx and R3xx 3d docs give a pretty good idea how it works, and (b) I don't think adding PVS support to R200 will make a big difference to users these days (but I'm open to comments there).
          Last edited by bridgman; 15 March 2008, 12:37 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

To avoid the confusion I detect in this thread: Up to X850 was already supported by open drivers. I hope these drivers will see some quality and speedup improvements.

Comment

User Name

> I doubt there is a line of text in the document which has
              > not already been used in the radeon (xf86-video-ati) driver
              > so re-releasing the doc isn't really going to help advance
              > the R200 driver support, but if it allows a few more people
              > to become active developers that can make a big difference.

Having the docs available is a good thing. Some people
              actually refuse to look at existing code due to worries
              about IP contamination.

> Other than IDCT/MC for video decoding I don't think there is
              > much info about the R100 and R200 which isn't already known
              > to the devs.

Video decoding is important.

What docs are available for the RAGE-XL?

I was reading about the 780G, it sounds promising, can we
              assume that it will be documented?

As always, thank you for documenting these chips.

Comment

It's called "HyperZ" ...

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Other than IDCT/MC for video decoding I don't think there is much info about the R100 and R200 which isn't already known to the devs.
                I don't think that the devs fully understand how HyperZ works with the R100/R200 chips. I have a card with an R100 chip, and Mesa's "stex3d" demo and "zreaddraw" test programs are currently broken with HyperZ enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Other than IDCT/MC for video decoding I don't think there is much info about the R100 and R200 which isn't already known to the devs. The R200 has some programmable vertex shader (PVS) capability which isn't fully documented today but (a) the R5xx and R3xx 3d docs give a pretty good idea how it works, and (b) I don't think adding PVS support to R200 will make a big difference to users these days (but I'm open to comments there).
                  IDCT/MC is probably the main missing bit, I know it changed between r200 and r300 also,

Roland already reverse engineered most of the PVS on r200 a few years ago now using the r300 as a basis, so I think he got as much out of it as possible..

Hyper-Z and PN-triangles(TruForm) were two features for r200 never documented, HyperZ I believe we have mostly reverse engineered I think the final bugs are nobody implemented z buffer readback, or disabling hyperz where that was needed, and TruForm isn't that interesting as I'm not sure many games ever actually used it. (ATI_pn_triangles I think was the extension).

Comment

I have an ATi Radeon 9200SE PCI 128MB card.

It performs a lot better under windows in FOSS games like tremulous and nexuiz than it does in the same on ubuntu.
                    I would love to see that change.
                    Every little bit helps.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
                      I have an ATi Radeon 9200SE PCI 128MB card.

It performs a lot better under windows in FOSS games like tremulous and nexuiz than it does in the same on ubuntu.
                      I would love to see that change.
                      Every little bit helps.

try enabling hyper-Z, in .drirc or just run

export hyperz=true before running a game..

it might get a bit faster.

Comment

Working...
                      X