AMD Catalyst 8.3 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
    Does this mean that it works, with 3D acceleration? I was considering buying an AGP card for an older system, and I was wondering how well it works.
    Yes 3d is working, I haven't tried anything recent yet - but then I only have a 32 bit single processor (AMD XP - barton 2500 @ 2GHz + slowish ram) and that will probably be the bottleneck.

For older games it's OK, I can get > 90fps with quake3demo timedemos @ 1280x1024 with all settings high.

Comment

• Originally posted by djdoo View Post
      Hey guys I have a question...

I was wondering if any of you could install the driver under a 2.6.25 rc kernel??

Cause 8,2 couldn't install...

I d like to test the 2,6,25 kernel but don't know if fglrx approves it!
      I can't get 8.3 to compile on 2.6.25-rc4. It gives two errors. I made a posting here yesterday and so far no more has responded on to fix it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slegge View Post
        mplayer works fine with XV but mythtv displays wrong colors on playback using XV. (and mplayer gets the same problem too, if i start it after having used mythtv to playback a file; restart X and mplayer works like a charm)
        I use neither a RS690 or MythTV, but I do know setting Textured2D on can cause problems with colors. Of course, that's an experimental feature, so you should have it disabled anyway, but in any case, you might want to check that

Comment

• I'm happy to report that this release seems to have fixed my Xv video problems!

Fullscreen playback via Xv in VLC and SMplayer are both working smoothly. No diagonal tearing either, that seems to have been fixed. There are still some minor horizontal tear issues on fast motion and overall the video scaling is fairly soft but otherwise the Xv playback seems to have been fixed up very nicely.

CPU utilization when playing 480p 16:9 content scaled to fullscreen is around 8-9% over normal "idle" CPU usage. That's very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Porter View Post
            I'm happy to report that this release seems to have fixed my Xv video problems!

Fullscreen playback via Xv in VLC and SMplayer are both working smoothly. No diagonal tearing either, that seems to have been fixed. There are still some minor horizontal tear issues on fast motion and overall the video scaling is fairly soft but otherwise the Xv playback seems to have been fixed up very nicely.

CPU utilization when playing 480p 16:9 content scaled to fullscreen is around 8-9% over normal "idle" CPU usage. That's very good.
            Not all the problems with Xv are fixed.
            For example - I still can't use Xv with KdeTV - no matter if I select Xv with SHM or without it or V4L1 or V4L2 plugin (no matter which video source I use - I have two TV cards and an usb camera). Even setting KdeTV to use overlay there are problems like before - picture flashing on window moving or someting on top of KdeTV window, black screen on KdeTV run (helps only screen (desktop) resolution change) etc. - this problem comes from 8.41. With X11 video output there are no such problems (except for black screen) but cpu in use is getting around 40-50% when I wath TV compared to 0.5-5% with overlay.

When I use mplayer Xv works but on opensource radeon driver I have no such problems with KdeTV.

Once again I'll repeat my question - does somebody have this X-Window hang on exit/logout/shutdown? Is there any option to get rid of that?

Comment

• freeze at logout: Solved!

As I still experienced freeze at logout with this release when atieventsd is active I take a few time today to search for the reason.

What I found is authatieventsd.sh do not search the xauthority file at the location my system put it : /var/run/xauth/
              It look like this is the default location for xorg7 and kdm do not override it.
              Change that in authatieventsd.sh and all work fine!

I add a comment in the bugzilla with this change:

But atieventsd must be made more robust to not freeze the screen in the case authatieventsd.sh return an error because it is likely that many other error condition are possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by xeros View Post
                Once again I'll repeat my question - does somebody have this X-Window hang on exit/logout/shutdown? Is there any option to get rid of that?
                I noticed you have a Radeon 9600. I have a 9600SE and have no problems at all during shutdown, switching VTs, or even restarting Xorg. I'm running Xorg-server 1.4.0.90 and console resolution is set to the default (i.e. no vesafb or radeonfb).

Comment

• Originally posted by Pseus View Post
                  I use neither a RS690 or MythTV, but I do know setting Textured2D on can cause problems with colors. Of course, that's an experimental feature, so you should have it disabled anyway, but in any case, you might want to check that
                  Ahh, well, yes, disabled now atleast I've tried a varaity of diffrent config options, but to be honest, i have no idea what they do or what they all are. i read somewhere that Videooverlay and Textured2D should be on for the RS690 but i can't find that page now.

Is there any other options i should be aware of, and what they should be set to?

I'll go RTFM now

Comment

• Install on Debian Lenny

Copied from UBU Gutsy Install thread:

I have installed and tested 8.3 on Deb Lenny (amd64) and it's much better than before. Smoother, a bit faster, a bit better panning and zooming and it feels more stable. I wrote my install experience in the ATI Wiki if someone who knows more about editing is interested in taking it from there.

The Debian Lenny driver install was quite simple.
                    • Install linux-headers
                    • Download driver
                    • Run install
                    • aticonfig --initial
                    • REBOOT
                    I didn't even need to build packages or download the ia32-libs.

Compiz is a bit more complicated. The repository for lenny apparently does not have a complete compiz meta so you have to install compiz plugins and the backend explicitly. See link above for specific details. I don't know who maintains the wiki but hopefully this will be tested and posted ASAP.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheIcebreaker
                      Xv with mplayer latest Svn (almost daily build) on Xorg 6.8 FC4. Videos with high resolution (HD Stuff) still jerks around. Enuf to cause a headache. Any remedy for that yet.
                      The Xpress200 has the old-style overlay so you would probably want to run with TexturedVideo off and VideoOverlay on. If you are doing that, then the driver load on your system should be very low. Any chance you are pegged on CPU or RAM for decoding ?
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X