AMD Catalyst 8.3 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uchikoma View Post
    Individual setups vary, that's why. Some are AGP users, some use R4xx cards, some use R5xx cards, some use R6xx cards.

Some people use Ubuntu, some use OpenSUSE, some use Gentoo, Arch, etc...

Now it should be assumed that the driver should *just* work for all possible permutations, but it is not the case at the moment. Either that or the driver should work fine, but something on the user's computer is screwed up.

What's your setup btw?
    Athlon 64 3000+, 4x512MB DDR800, X1950pro 512MB PCI-E x 16, lots of sound cards (well 5 to be precise), MSI AM2 board (can't remember the model number off the top of my head).

Comment

Originally posted by Netsnipe View Post
      [CODE]% ./ati-driver-installer-8.3-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/gutsy
      When I run that command it fails when it runs synaptic, saying it can't find a file in /tmp

Anybody have any suggestion on what is going on?

Comment

Did the error message mention which file it was not able to find ?
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Did the error message mention which file it was not able to find ?
          HI ,

I do:
          chmod ugo+xr ati*8-3*run
          sudo ./ati*8-3*run --buildpkg Ubuntu/gutsy

the end output is:

./packages/Ubuntu/ati-packager.sh: 311: sh -c '/usr/sbin/synaptic --set-selections --non-interactive --hide-main-window < /tmp/file0uewfC': not found

Unable to install dpkg-dev and build-essential. Please manually install and try again.

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.jh8347

and that's it.

----
          did some more later - results in later message
          Last edited by jchapman; 07 March 2008, 04:27 AM.

Comment

The 8.3 driver won't compile for me. Specs: HP 6515b laptop with an ati 1250 integrated video card running slackware 12 and a custom 2.6.25-rc4 kernel.
            I downloaded the driver. Did a chmod a+x ati....sh, ran the file ./ati....
            answered the prompts and the end result is:
            [Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
            [Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
            [Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
            ATI module generator V 2.0
            ==========================
            initializing...
            cleaning...
            patching 'highmem.h'...
            assuming new VMA API since we do have kernel 2.6.x...
            Assuming default VMAP API
            Assuming default munmap API
            doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
            make -C /lib/modules/2.6.25-rc4/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
            make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-rc4'
            CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
            /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_SetPageNoCache':
            /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1161: warning: 'change_page_attr' is deprecated (declared at include/asm/cacheflush.h:28)
            /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_PosixSecurityCapGetEffectiveVector':
            /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1888: error: implicit declaration of function 'cap_t'
            /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_PosixSecurityCapSetEffectiveVector':
            /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1896: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
            /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function '__ke_check_pci':
            /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1951: warning: 'pci_find_slot' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/pci.h:507)
            /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function '__ke_pci_find_slot':
            /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2840: warning: 'pci_find_slot' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/pci.h:507)
            make[2]: *** [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
            make[1]: *** [_module_/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
            make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-rc4'
            make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
            build failed with return value 2
            [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult readme.

I did a quite google and tried setting the CONFIG_PCI_LEGACY to n (original setting was y) and I get the same error.

Thanks,

Comment

warnings do not matter, the error lines are important.

@bridgeman

The missing_dependencies check is one of the worst hacks I have ever seen. In "standard" environments these may work, but when I was trying to autoinstall fglrx with a live-helper created image bootet via pxe boot and nfsroot it wanted to install a package named "No", which was just a parsing error. Of course it failed then. The only way was to eleminate the check (my script already checks all dependencies). I absolutely hate checks which fail without a reason.
              Last edited by Kano; 07 March 2008, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jchapman View Post
                HI ,

I do:
                chmod ugo+xr ati*8-3*run
                sudo ./ati*8-3*run --buildpkg Ubuntu/gutsy

the end output is:

./packages/Ubuntu/ati-packager.sh: 311: sh -c '/usr/sbin/synaptic --set-selections --non-interactive --hide-main-window < /tmp/file0uewfC': not found

Unable to install dpkg-dev and build-essential. Please manually install and try again.

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.jh8347

and that's it.

I loooked at this some more and, for the benefit of other newbies, what this really means is that you should go into the Administration menu and use the synaptic package manager and add the two packages dpkg-dev and build-essential. Then try the driver install again and it will now complain about two other packages being missing... use synaptic again to add these packages. Try reinstalling a third time and it should work - producing several files with .deb extensions in the working directory. Double click these and they will be added to the packages synaptic manages. Then you can go through the Administration menu to synaptic manager and install these packages in the normal Ubuntu way.

This got me the new driver installed - it does produce enlarged video without pixellation and also there seems to be no tearing anymore - yaaaayyyyy.

Now if only it wouldn't complain about libGL.so.1 and then die when I try to run Catalyst....

Comment

Xv is fixed for me (mobility x1600)

Comment

I have several bugs that are not listed on the release notes page. From reading the forums, it seems other people also encounter these bugs.

* The diagonal tearing problem is still present in GL windows (visible when you resize them for example). This is apparently also the case with all windows under Compiz (even during movement). It looks very much like the previous XV tearing bug that's been fixed.
                    * XV video in compiz is unusable. The window appears to disappear and then reappear every frame (giving a strangely flickering transparent effect - with the standard diagonal tears of course; see above). XV now works fine in the non-Compiz case.
                    * Suspend does not work with Compiz running. It does however work fine when Compiz is not being used. Apparently it also fails whenever Compiz has been running, but no longer is (a rogue internal state?).
                    * General tearing. Why are windows not redrawn on a vsync? Is this an X issue? Particularly noticeable dragging windows around.

Additionally, hibernate fails, but this may be due to something unrelated to the video.

My setup: Dell Inspiron 9400. Mobility x1400 @ 1920x1200 under Ubuntu Gutsy.

I'm happy to assist in solving any bugs.

Comment

Linux convert for 20months now. Live with ATI was hell in the begining but 8.3 has restored my faith.

*Compiz works lovely
                      *Xv works with & without compiz - no flicker or tearing :-) (first time ever!!)
                      *Speed 50% better than pre AIGLX versions
                      *Logout/shutdown causes lockup but solved by removing atieventsd and setting KDE TerminateServer=True

Running Kubuntu Gutsy on Toshiba M30X (Radeon 9600 M10)

--- If you opened windows on a plane you would expect to crash....so why open windows on a PC????? ---

Comment

Working...
                      X