Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridgman
    replied
    Starting with the R5xx and RS6xx parts (the AVIVO generation) we built less video processing capability into the overlay and started ramping up shader-based Textured Video instead. Tvtime doesn't work with any of the TexturedVideo modes we support today -- I'm told it is no longer being actively developed so I imagine we will need to add a compatible mode to the driver at some point.

On any of the earlier chips (essentially anything up to X1050) the video overlay generally gave you the best combination of quality and low CPU utilization (and does support more modes). For X12xx and up Textured Video is generally the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• tiagobt
    replied
    Originally posted by mathog View Post
    Could you please explain exactly what this is? I have seen the /etc/ati directory with its mysterious contents, but no explanations anywhere about what they are.

Also, with the latest driver I finally have Xvideo working on my X1250 embedded graphics, at least with mplayer. But tvtime still does this:

*** tvtime requires hardware YUY2 overlay support from your video card
    *** driver.
    (etc.)

If someone has this tvtime working on X1250 please post either the aticonfig command that got you there or the xorg.conf file.

Thanks.
    The only way I could get tvtime to work was by using the following options:

Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Option	    "VideoOverlay" "on"
    	Option	    "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    	Option	    "TexturedVideo" "off"
    EndSection
    (No compositing though.)

When you're done editing xorg.conf, remember to change something using aticonfig:

Code:
    aticonfig --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf --tls=1
    I read somewhere that the option VideoOverlay is deprecated, but it seems to be the only way to make tvtime work.

Tiago
    Last edited by tiagobt; 03-19-2008, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• djdoo
    replied
    About tvtime now I think it's output is logical cause it asks for YUV2 overlays but under X1250 xvinfo shows only 2 ports:
    Number of image formats: 2
    id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
    guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
    bits per pixel: 12
    number of planes: 3
    type: YUV (planar)
    id: 0x30323449 (I420)
    guid: 49343230-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
    bits per pixel: 12
    number of planes: 3
    type: YUV (planar)
    which none of them is YUV2...It's I420 and YV12!

Leave a comment:

• djdoo
    replied
    Originally posted by mathog View Post
    Could you please explain exactly what this is? I have seen the /etc/ati directory with its mysterious contents, but no explanations anywhere about what they are.

Also, with the latest driver I finally have Xvideo working on my X1250 embedded graphics, at least with mplayer. But tvtime still does this:

*** driver.
    (etc.)

If someone has this tvtime working on X1250 please post either the aticonfig command that got you there or the xorg.conf file.

Thanks.
    The file that causes troubles for us is /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.
    The fact is that driver loads whatever options are recorded there and completely ignores your xorg.conf setup.
    It can be solved(I mean in order your changes to be recorded at amdpcsdb) if you change an option at xorg.conf via aticonfig command line tool. For example:

Code:
    aticonfig --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf --tls=1
    I don't know yet about the other files' functions but we will see...

Leave a comment:

• mathog
    replied
    Originally posted by djdoo View Post
    NO problem my friend
    But remember at any setting by hand use the aticonfig trick with tls for amdpcsdb to record your changes

*** driver.
    (etc.)

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Christian_L
    replied
    For more details take a look at our guide here http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=6794
    Wow, great post - thank's a lot!

Leave a comment:

• djdoo
    replied
    Originally posted by paul View Post
    those options helped here, but video is still choppy (no longer flashy) when compiz is running, so I think something else is still needed.

Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]"
    Driver "fglrx"
    Option "VideoOverlay" "off"
    Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    Option "TexturedVideo" "on"
    Option "TexturedVideoSync" "on"
    Option "Textured2D" "on"
    Option "TexturedXrender" "on"
    Option "UseFastTLS" "1"

With compiz off, the videos are as good as Vista on my X1400 mobility.

regards
    Video quality is the same under Compiz too but only for fullscreen mode and you have to enable the Video Playback Plugin(if you use mplayer it also needs a patch, Xine works straight away) and also go to:
    CCSM->General Options-> and check the box that sais Unredirect Fullscreen Windows
    The windowed flickering problems and OpenGL flickering generally will be solved only when DRI2 is ready to be used as the standard protocol and fglrx be ported to DRI2 infrastructure.
    Till then we can view our videos fullscreen

For more details take a look at our guide here http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=6794

Leave a comment:

• paul
    replied
    those options helped here, but video is still choppy (no longer flashy) when compiz is running, so I think something else is still needed.

Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]"
    Driver "fglrx"
    Option "VideoOverlay" "off"
    Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    Option "TexturedVideo" "on"
    Option "TexturedVideoSync" "on"
    Option "Textured2D" "on"
    Option "TexturedXrender" "on"
    Option "UseFastTLS" "1"

With compiz off, the videos are as good as Vista on my X1400 mobility.

regards

Leave a comment:

• ZedDB
    replied
    NO problem my friend
    But remember at any setting by hand use the aticonfig trick with tls for amdpcsdb to record your changes
    THANK YOU!
    Now XV works with my x1900XT! I'm so happy

Leave a comment:

• djdoo
    replied
    Originally posted by El Enano View Post
    Thanks djdoo!!

The RENDER extension was enabled as it's built-in, but I've set Textured2D, TexturedXrender and UseFastTLS as you said, and guess what? Now I can watch videos using XVideo output! That's incredible!

Anyway, I will try different configurations in order to isolate the problem to one of those settings.
    NO problem my friend

Leave a comment:

Working...
X