Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fonts with radeon look bigger

Hello,
    I tried installing xf86-video-ati from git, and I noticed fonts look bigger than with fglrx and radeonHD:

radeon:
    radeonHD/fglrx:

Why is this? Is there a way to fix it?
    Thanks

Originally posted by slacker View Post
    Hello,
    I tried installing xf86-video-ati from git, and I noticed fonts look bigger than with fglrx and radeonHD:

radeon:
    radeonHD/fglrx:

Why is this? Is there a way to fix it?
    Thanks
    Differences in DPI. I suspect your monitor doesn't supply one. You can adjust it with xrandr --fbmm or by adding a monitor section for that output in question adding a DisplaySize line to it.

Comment

Ok, so yesterday I wanted to try radeon again (using radeonHD atm), but I still got this problem.

I'm not sure I understand how I should solve it.
      My monitor is a normal 1280x800 LCD, on a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop, with an X1400.

This is my Monitor section in xorg.conf, which was automatically generated when I used fglrx:
      Code:
      Section "Monitor"                                                                                                            
              Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"                                                                                  
              Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"                                                                    
              Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"                                                              
              Option      "DPMS" "true"                                                                                            
      EndSection
      The above works fine with radeonHD and fglrx.

Another big problem that keeps me from using radeon is this: if I try to switch to a console (Ctrl+Alt+F1,F2, etc) the screen is very corrupted. I can type, and the commands are correctly recognized, but I can't see anything. Is this a known problem with radeon?

P.S: I also tried to update everything to the latest git version (xorg-xserver, mesa, radeon, etc), but the problems remain.

Comment

Ok, so yesterday I wanted to try radeon again (using radeonHD atm), but I still got this problem.

I'm not sure I understand how I should solve it.
        My monitor is a normal 1280x800 LCD, on a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop, with an X1400.
        As I said there are differences in DPI. radeonhd and fglrx and radeon may set different defaults for display size if the monitor does not provide one. You can override this using xrandr --fbmm <width>x<height>
        or by adding the display size to the monitor section in your config:
        Code:
        DisplaySize 320 240
        replace 320 and 240 with the actual width and height of your screen in millimeters. Note, xserver 1.3 does not handle this option correctly.

This is my Monitor section in xorg.conf, which was automatically generated when I used fglrx:
        Code:
        Section "Monitor"                                                                                                            
                Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"                                                                                  
                Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"                                                                    
                Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"                                                              
                Option      "DPMS" "true"                                                                                            
        EndSection
        The above works fine with radeonHD and fglrx.
        You will need to link the monitor section to the output if you want it to be used regardless of whether you use radeon or radeonhd. To do that add the following to the device section of your config:
        Code:
        Option "Monitor-LVDS" "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
        Another big problem that keeps me from using radeon is this: if I try to switch to a console (Ctrl+Alt+F1,F2, etc) the screen is very corrupted. I can type, and the commands are correctly recognized, but I can't see anything. Is this a known problem with radeon?
        It should work. VT switches work fine on all the radeon cards I have. Please file a bug (https://bugs.freedesktop.org) and attach your log and config and we'll look at it.

Comment

ok, I solved the problem by adding DisplaySize, thanks!!

Before I file a bug, I'll paste you my Xorg.0.log (I had to split it, it was too big) and xorg.conf, just in case I'm doing something really stupid...

xorg.conf: http://zlin.dk/p/?NWE0YzQ3
          Log_part1: http://zlin.dk/p/?NTlkOTE0
          Log_part2: http://zlin.dk/p/?ZDk0ZjMy

Last question: is it normal that dri isn't activated? I pulled everything from git, yesterday.
          Thanks!

Comment

ok, I solved the problem by adding DisplaySize, thanks!!
            Strange, your panel provides an edid with the display size, I'm not sure why it's not getting picked up (unless something changed in the xserver...):
            Code:
            (II) RADEON(0): clock: 71.1 MHz Image Size: 331 x 207 mm
            (II) RADEON(0): h_active: 1280 h_sync: 1301 h_sync_end 1333 h_blank_end 1440 h_border: 0
            (II) RADEON(0): v_active: 800 v_sync: 804 v_sync_end 808 v_blanking: 823 v_border: 0
            what does the output of xrandr show (without the DisplaySize option)?

Before I file a bug, I'll paste you my Xorg.0.log (I had to split it, it was too big) and xorg.conf, just in case I'm doing something really stupid...

xorg.conf: http://zlin.dk/p/?NWE0YzQ3
            Log_part1: http://zlin.dk/p/?NTlkOTE0
            Log_part2: http://zlin.dk/p/?ZDk0ZjMy

Last question: is it normal that dri isn't activated? I pulled everything from git, yesterday.
            Thanks!
            The log looks ok. Go ahead and file a bug.

Alex

Comment

The VT problem sounds like this bug:

I had the same problem (Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB) and the following fixed it for me (back up your old drivers first, usually in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers):

git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati
              cd xf86-video-ati
              git-revert 653da558148cc601bc1f80253e92ef98c75ef37a
              ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
              make
              sudo make install

Comment

The output of xrandr is exactly the same with or without the DisplaySize line in xorg.conf:
                Code:
                Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 800, maximum 1280 x 1280
                VGA-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
                LVDS connected 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 331mm x 207mm
                   1280x800       60.0*+   50.0  
                   1024x768       60.0  
                   800x600        60.3  
                   640x480        59.9  
                S-video disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
                Could this be related to the corrupted screen thing? Should I mention it in the bug?

Comment

Originally posted by phoneybone View Post
                  The VT problem sounds like this bug:

I had the same problem (Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB) and the following fixed it for me (back up your old drivers first, usually in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers):

git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati
                  cd xf86-video-ati
                  git-revert 653da558148cc601bc1f80253e92ef98c75ef37a
                  ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
                  make
                  sudo make install
                  Does Option "VGAAccess" "FALSE"

Also fix the issue?

Comment

The output of xrandr is exactly the same with or without the DisplaySize line in xorg.conf:
                    Code:
                    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 800, maximum 1280 x 1280
                    VGA-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
                    LVDS connected 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 331mm x 207mm
                       1280x800       60.0*+   50.0  
                       1024x768       60.0  
                       800x600        60.3  
                       640x480        59.9  
                    S-video disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
                    Could this be related to the corrupted screen thing? Should I mention it in the bug?
                    This looks fine. The display size seems to be set correctly. This isn't related to the VT issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X