Radeon Driver Gets Textured Video (Xv)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I believe that the "radeon" driver has had composite support for a year or so.
    Ok now that I'm using gnome again and the latest ati driver I can say I'm not able to use AIGLX or COMPOSITE with the git references radeon driver, I get the neat little fusion introduction and a white screen with a mouse cursor. I can also see a partial window preview when the mouse is at the bottom but no desktop or panels.

Is there a better list of xorg.conf options for this driver than the "Installing The RadeonHD Driver On Ubuntu" article written last september that specifically says to turn off compositing?

Here's my current xorg.conf as a link
    How do I get the glx extension to load so I can test it?

If you'll point me in an appropriate direction I'll compile a TESTED how to and post it here and a few other key places so google picks it up later tonight.

-Tom

Last edited by siggma; 05 March 2008, 03:14 PM.

Comment

TexturedVideo with ati/radeon makes my system reboot after 3-5 seconds of watching a video with a R580. Anyone else got this issue? I have it since I first tried the ati/radeon git when TexturedVideo came in and still have it with latest git.

Kernel 2.6.24.3
      Xorg 7.3 using Xserver 1.4.1-git
      KDE 3.5.9 with Kaffeine 0.8.6 using Xine-lib 1.1.10.1

Comment

Originally posted by NaterGator View Post
        Tom,

I believe he was saying there is no r5xx+ acceleration in the opensource drivers (radeonhd). There should be 3d accel in fglrx.
        Actually, from what I understand the OSS driver is called "ati" from the git source. If you go back a few messages you'll find the link. The radeonhd is not the driver mentioned in the recent "OSS gets r500 support" article, a misunderstanding I'm hoping will be corrected ASAP. A few messages back he stated that "ati" is a wrapper for the "radeon" driver and further states that it does have glx support via AIGLX, just not hardware accelerated 3D support, yet.

As for the fglrx, I don't think it has hardware acceleration for the r500 chipset either, yet, and my comparisons in Vista indicate that to be the case. The Chess game in Vista being a test case, my x1650 PCIe card displays that application smooth as glass, no tearing, no shuddering, not even the slightest hiccup, and rotation seems to be as fast as the keyboard can deliver keystrokes, to the limit of the display refresh (over 60 frames). I was playing HL2 yesterday @ 1280x960 and it's more than awesome fast, not that HL2 is a particularly demanding game but it's an anchor for performance comparisons.

In fact just two posts back he states there is no 3D acceleration in any driver for the r500 chipset.

Unless I've been missing something...
        -Tom
        Last edited by siggma; 05 March 2008, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          TexturedVideo with ati/radeon makes my system reboot after 3-5 seconds of watching a video with a R580. Anyone else got this issue? I have it since I first tried the ati/radeon git when TexturedVideo came in and still have it with latest git.

Kernel 2.6.24.3
          KDE 3.5.9 with Kaffeine 0.8.6 using Xine-lib 1.1.10.1
          First, can you post the git URL for:
          Kernel 2.6.24.3 (debian, gentoo?)

I'd love to upgrade to the 7.3 Xserver if it's stable.

Mine does something similar but it only plays about three frames. I suspect it's an xorg.conf option, which is the purpose of the previous message request and offer to write a how to, with as many options as I can find.
          -tom

Comment

Everybody seems to get different results with this (EXA, textured video, etc).

How about specifying the environment you developers are using so that others can easily test things out with the same settings?

I.e.
            1) What software interacts with the the driver? libdrm, mesa, xorg-server, xorg-x11, the kernel, compiz, ...?
            2) Which combinations of these have you tested? Which combinations are you using for development?
            3) What xorg.conf driver settings are you using?
            4) How do you start compiz?

I think this would both help minimize error reports that originates from other packages/dirt behind the wheel, and also (not least) make things clearer for testers.

Sure, when the driver is more mature, it needs to be tested with other versions, but I guess many people will use different versions of the other software none the less, so that might not be an issue.

Just an idea I got.

Comment

Originally posted by siggma View Post
              First, can you post the git URL for:
              Kernel 2.6.24.3 (debian, gentoo?)

I'd love to upgrade to the 7.3 Xserver if it's stable.

Mine does something similar but it only plays about three frames. I suspect it's an xorg.conf option, which is the purpose of the previous message request and offer to write a how to, with as many options as I can find.
              -tom
              I use sidux, based on Debian/sid. Debian/sid has got Xserver 1.4.1-git in its repository. The kernel is from sidux, but the Debian/sid one is always upstream, too. Which distribution are you using? Sometimes the reboot appears without seeing the video (3 frames, maybe), sometimes after 3-5 seconds.

In fact just two posts back he states there is no 3D acceleration in any driver for the r500 chipset.

Unless I've been missing something...
              -Tom
              fglrx/Catalyst offers full 3D acceleration for R500+.
              Last edited by d2kx; 05 March 2008, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bitnick View Post
                Everybody seems to get different results with this (EXA, textured video, etc).

How about specifying the environment you developers are using so that others can easily test things out with the same settings?
                Maybe you can beat them to it and post a copy of your xorg.conf so maybe I can test it. I have a copy of mine on my server but not all of us have a web server at their disposal.

-Tom

Comment

The fglrx driver has accelerated 3D support for all of our chips from R300 up, including 5xx and 6xx.

Radeon (aka ati) has accelerated 3D support from R100 up to R4xx, plus RS690 which has a 4xx-derived 3D core, but not 5xx or 6xx. The 3D acceleration may still be a bit shaky on the RS480 and RS690.

RadeonHD supports 5xx and 6xx (ie the parts which do not yet have open source 3D acceleration) so does not have 3D acceleration on anything yet.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    I use sidux, based on Debian/sid. Debian/sid has got Xserver 1.4.1-git in its repository. The kernel is from sidux, but the Debian/sid one is always upstream, too. Which distribution are you using? Sometimes the reboot appears without seeing the video (3 frames, maybe), sometimes after 3-5 seconds.
                    I'm using Ubuntu 2.6.22-14-generic i believe so a sidux kernel would probably be a no no for me.

I found xorg, right where it should be on x.org...

Comment

siggma,

your xorg.conf is very ugly. You can't use VideoOverlay and TexturedVideo together, and enabling OpenGLOverlay, too, won't make things better. Also, Textured2D and TexturedXrender are experimental, while all of the options mentioned do not even work with the "ati" driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X