Radeon Driver Gets Textured Video (Xv)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
    dri works, but on xv overlay you cannot use any opengl app. also you'd have to turn the mtrr to on, while on fglrx you have to have it on off. i've also seen that i have depth moves and page flipping enabled with radeon.
    unfortunately it didn't work. Only still picture with corrupted wallpaper after Option "DRI" "true" I can type login and password - Gnome loads, i hear sounds, but no video output.

Can it be because of my Samsung R40 laptop, which has no separate videomemory? Videocard can only use shared memory

//sorry for my english

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      This patch enables exa render accel (for rotation) and textured video for XPRESS cards:

Let me know if it works.
      This works for me. I get a notice about Render and textured video being enabled in Xorg.0.log and I can use it by forcing Xv port 74. However, the textured video ports are not listed in the xvinfo output and the scaling of textured video doesn't use any filtering (only nearest neighbour). Otherwise it works fine, also in conjunction with compositing.

I tested accelerated rotation and it worked fine, too. I wonder why the acceleration is still disabled by default.

EDIT: chipset is XPRESS 200M 5955.
      Last edited by greg; 01 March 2008, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by greg View Post
        This works for me. I get a notice about Render and textured video being enabled in Xorg.0.log and I can use it by forcing Xv port 74. However, the textured video ports are not listed in the xvinfo output and the scaling of textured video doesn't use any filtering (only nearest neighbour). Otherwise it works fine, also in conjunction with compositing.

I tested accelerated rotation and it worked fine, too. I wonder why the acceleration is still disabled by default.

EDIT: chipset is XPRESS 200M 5955.
        Thanks for confirming. I've gone ahead and committed the patch.

Comment

Textured video working on R100

I have just tested the new Radeon driver from git, and the Textured Video adapter for R100 seems to be working OK. Using mplayer -nosound -benchmark, I get the following information for Textured and Overlay adapters:

Code:
          Textured:
          BENCHMARKs: VC:  71.091s VO:  20.266s A:   0.000s Sys:   4.363s =   95.720s
          BENCHMARK%: VC: 74.2695% VO: 21.1721% A:  0.0000% Sys:  4.5585% = 100.0000%

Overlay:
          BENCHMARKs: VC:  70.628s VO:  12.017s A:   0.000s Sys:   3.725s =   86.369s
          BENCHMARK%: VC: 81.7738% VO: 13.9137% A:  0.0000% Sys:  4.3125% = 100.0000%
          So assuming that I am interpreting this correctly, the Overlay adapter uses 86.4 CPU seconds, whereas the Textured adapter uses 95.7 CPU seconds to play the same video file.
          Last edited by chrisr; 01 March 2008, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Here is the same for me:
            Code:
            Textured:
            BENCHMARKs: VC:  99.624s VO:   0.901s A:   0.000s Sys:   6.640s =  107.166s
            BENCHMARK%: VC: 92.9629% VO:  0.8409% A:  0.0000% Sys:  6.1962% = 100.0000%

Overlay:
            BENCHMARKs: VC:  97.977s VO:   0.993s A:   0.000s Sys:   7.731s =  106.702s
            BENCHMARK%: VC: 91.8236% VO:  0.9305% A:  0.0000% Sys:  7.2458% = 100.0000%

My gripe is that EXA is unusably slow for some reason. It just pegs my CPU usage for no good reason (scrolling in xterm, for example) where as XAA is fine. I get ~5900fps in glxgears with EXA and ~6200fps with XAA.

It's good to see Xv texture support coming, but at this point EXA is so much less mature compared to XAA that it makes everything else not worth it

Comment

Originally posted by NaterGator View Post
              It's good to see Xv texture support coming, but at this point EXA is so much less mature compared to XAA that it makes everything else not worth it
              Textured video works with XAA or EXA, however due to the limitations of XAA, there are limitations when using compositors with XAA and textured video.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                Switch to EXA. XAA does not provide a mechanism to migrate pixmaps from system ram to vram.
                LoL sorry, I bet you get sick of repeating yourself.

Originally posted by bitnick View Post
                I'd love to try it out, but unfortunately, for some reason, with AccelMethod=EXA my desktop freezes over (no keyboard or screen updates) when I try to start gnome-terminal, which I usually use to start compiz. (Everything else seems to work fine. Weird.) At the moment I do not have another computer nearby to log in with to check what's going on. Ctrl-Alt-Fx doesn't work, not even SysRq.

I've never really gotten EXA to work; 2D updates like resizing a window is unbearably slow, like 2-3 draws per second. (This is on a R420.) Perhaps we should let others test this, and I'll get back with results if I get EXA going.
                I have the exact same experience using the R420 (Radeon x800 xt pe). Random desktop lockups (not even reisub can bring it back) and horribly slow performance doing some 2D stuff.

Maybe this is just a R420 issue?

Comment

I can finally report success! After going through some of the source and bugzilla I came across the manpage for exa (duh!) and realized I was forgetting to set AccelDFS to on! After adding that to my device section Xv acceleration is properly compositing, and outputing planet earth in 720p resulted in 4% CPU utilization even when dragging around the wobbly window.

Things seem to be more stable than EXA with AccelDFS off as well. The only problem I'm yet to see (in about 30 minutes of use) is that emerald is messing up the title bar of my windows.

I'm going to see if I can do any patching of mplayer to autodetected the TexturedVideo pseudo adapter and automatically output to it.

Thanks again devs, this is a good step forward!

Comment

Downloading latest git code

I tried downloading the latest git code via git-clone, but as I am behind a firewall, its not working and is timing out. Any way to get it as a http link <maybe some kind soul can host it as a tarball somewhere?> or can point to me to some alternate way to download the latest git snapshot via http?

I am fed up of video tearing in fglrx and wanna try radeon on my x1800 (R520).

Thanks

Comment

This includes git clones from about 10 minutes ago of the mesa/drm and video-ati projects.

-----Nate

Comment

Working...
                      X