AMD Radeon R9 290: Linux 4.0 vs. Linux 4.1 Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    It's exactly as the PTS data shows... 2560x1600 desktop but with 1920x1080 fullscreen apps, since when testing the native 2560x1600 of the panel, there's usually complaints that more people use 1080p....
    I see. 1080p is definitely the correct resolution to test. It's just a little confusing to see 2560x1600 anywhere, since there's no reason we should be caring about what the panel natively supports. I guess i can understand why you'd want to log it somewhere, though.

Comment

Michael is using obiaf's ppa for these benchmarks, as long as obiaf is using llvm 3.6 I doubt Michael will install llvm 3.7 just for these type of short benchmarks.

And benchmarking in 1920x1080 instead of the nativ resolution makes sense, this way more people can compare the results with their own systems.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
        Michael is using obiaf's ppa for these benchmarks, as long as obiaf is using llvm 3.6 I doubt Michael will install llvm 3.7 just for these type of short benchmarks.

And benchmarking in 1920x1080 instead of the nativ resolution makes sense, this way more people can compare the results with their own systems.
        Depends one the distro he's using. In Ubuntu 15.04 I had to install the individual packages to make llvm 3.7 work by hand (I'm a noob - I can't compile to save my life) but since I returned to Mint 17.1 (14.04 based LTS) I just added the official repository for it and using it with the drivers drom obiaf's ppa was a breeze. I'd say there is a noticeable improvement - Witcher 2 finally stays rock solid above 30fps, averaging about 45 with most things maxed out. I did notice that medium and very high had little to none difference in performance as long as I got rid of blurring, motion blur and uber sampling. Sadly there are some graphical bugs that spoil playing the game for me. The Mesa 10.6 + llvm 3.7 combo outperforms even the latest Catalyst in Borderlands 2 (although still far from perfect) and I'll have to do some more extensive testing but I think it actually blows it away in Cities: Skyline (and Pillars of Eternity which had fps frops with Catalyst), but I'll do some more extensive testing in a few weeks because work... and GTAV )).

PS My setup is 4790k, MSI 290x 4GB and 12GB RAM

Comment

Thanks for running this Michael, I really love your x290 tests!

I test that shows all kernels since Mesa/the kernel started supporting the Radeon x290 coupled with each corresponding LLVM release would be very interesting to see. Including (as a lot of people are nagging about here) would be to see LLVM 3.7 on this latest kernel.

Comment

Working...
          X