X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drSeehas
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Opensource graphic driver developers use these naming for the families (SI, CI(K), VI, PI), manuals uses Gens you are talking about and marketing uses all different naming, that is what confuse people the most

That said if you are interested in driver development you should use SI, CIK, VI, PI, if you read a manuals use Gen and if you want to buy/sell something use marketing names

Also AMD might use internally completely different naming too, as Bridgman mentioned. That means if you work at AMD you can use that.
    And none of all these names are "GCN 1.0, GCN 1.1, GCN 1.2, GCN 1.3"!
    I repeat my question: Why "invent" another one?
    Because there is a shortage of names?
    Or is it cool to not use one of the already existing names?
    Last edited by drSeehas; 22 April 2015, 03:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    As far as I understand it currently Catalyst hasn't been released with amdgpu support yet, so it's not possible to test yet.

Plus, I kinda want to wait for Carrizo.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
    Why use 3 different names for the same thing?
    Just to confuse people?

Just stick to the official names and don't invent 3rd ones, please!
    Opensource graphic driver developers use these naming for the families (SI, CI(K), VI, PI), manuals uses Gens you are talking about and marketing uses all different naming, that is what confuse people the most

That said if you are interested in driver development you should use SI, CIK, VI, PI, if you read a manuals use Gen and if you want to buy/sell something use marketing names

Also AMD might use internally completely different naming too, as Bridgman mentioned. That means if you work at AMD you can use that.
    Last edited by dungeon; 22 April 2015, 03:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Well, As of right now I plan to buy a new APU and a new GPU. Both of them will definitely be amdgpu supported. I just have to wait for hardware to become available. At the point when I'm able to reevaluate Catalyst I'll make a new opinion of it then.
    Why to wait? Let say you build something like this:

iGPU from that APU currently works with all 3 drivers (fglrx, radeon and amdgpu) and dGPU with 2 of them (fglrx and amdgpu)

Leave a comment:

• drSeehas
    replied
    What is the difference? You can call it GCN 1.0, GCN 1.1, GCN 1.2, GCN 1.3 or Gen 1, 2, 3, 4 or SI, CIK, VI, PI ...
    Why use different names for the same thing?
    Just to confuse people?

Just stick to the official names and don't "invent" another one, please!

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Well, As of right now I plan to buy a new APU and a new GPU. Both of them will definitely be amdgpu supported. I just have to wait for hardware to become available. At the point when I'm able to reevaluate Catalyst I'll make a new opinion of it then.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
    The new hardware is called officially "GCN Generation 3".
    What is the difference? You can call it GCN 1.0, GCN 1.1, GCN 1.2, GCN 1.3 or Gen 1, 2, 3, 4 or SI, CIK, VI, PI

And you can call Carrizo-L as Kabini, because core is actually Jaguar++ or Puma with one plus
    Last edited by dungeon; 22 April 2015, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• drSeehas
    replied
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    ... The new HW is called GCN 1.2 and above. ...
    The new hardware is called officially "GCN Generation 3".

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    it is false. android is used more than everything else combined
    Yeah but point is - when most people are chinese, on average most people must be chinese That can't be true .

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Windows XP is probably still used more then OS_X, all Linux distributions and modern game consoles combined . It does not make sense, but that seems true.
    it is false. android is used more than everything else combined

Leave a comment:

Working...
X