No announcement yet.

AMD Releases New "AMDGPU" Linux Kernel Driver & Mesa Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will it be possible to use the AMDGPU driver on current kernels, for instance 3.16 (Debian 8/Jessie)?

Comment

• Why would you need that? You need a corresponing new mesa to be able to use it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ossuser View Post
        Will it be possible to use the AMDGPU driver on current kernels, for instance 3.16 (Debian 8/Jessie)?
        It could be a bit tricky to backport I guess, depending of how much kernel internals have changed since that. The current development is based on 4.0.0 AFAIK.
        Most of all, no one will bother to backport it for you. :-)

But Debian 8 + new kernel + new drm/mesa/ddx should work.

Comment

• Originally posted by ernstp View Post
          Most of all, no one will bother to backport it for you. :-)
          Debian 8 is the most recent (just released) Debian, and I am under the impression that a lot of people use Debian.

Some of those people will buy a R9 300 Tonga.
          It would not be cool if this hardware would not be supported on Debian.

Maybe one of the AMD or Xorg people here could comment ?
          Are there any changes in the kernel (GPU-wise) from 3.16 to 4.x that could make things difficult ?

Comment

• As a R9 285 user

So how do I get and use the new driver? or can I not yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by HartOfWave View Post
              So how do I get and use the new driver? or can I not yet?
              You can try it for now by compiling components, links are in the article... It is just initial release, going from internal...

Next step would be to be integrated in release versions of kernel, drm, ddx and mesa. Once that happen average Joe can use it.

Comment

• Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                You can try it for now by compiling components, links are in the article... It is just initial release, going from internal...

Next step would be to be integrated in release versions of kernel, drm, ddx and mesa. Once that happen average Joe can use it.
                So, in Debian only via backports then.
                If it doesn't break anything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by ossuser View Post
                  So, in Debian only via backports then.
                  If it doesn't break anything else.
                  Depends which Debian you use, for stable there is fglrx which should work or backports of all those... but as usual not before release versions hit testing... which probably means if i can guess - around 6 months

For testing or sid, just wait.

If you really can't wait, you already have it compiled isn't it

Comment

• Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Depends which Debian you use, for stable there is fglrx which should work or backports of all those... but as usual not before release versions hit testing... which probably means if i can guess - around 6 months

For testing or sid, just wait.

If you really can't wait, you already have it compiled isn't it
                    I can wait, as I'm interested in the new R9 3xx Tonga.

It still has to hit the market and become available.
                    So there is still time.

No problem with compiling anything myself.
                    As long as it is not going to be dependancy hell, ofcourse ;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X