AMD Releases New "AMDGPU" Linux Kernel Driver & Mesa Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Just a reminder that most of the things you associate with "progress" (GL levels, gaming performance etc..) are in the radeonsi (pipe) and radeon (winsys) userspace drivers, which are the same whether you are using radeon or amdgpu kernel drivers.
    But I guess GPU lockups related to changing performance profiles (let alone dpm) is an issue of the kernel driver. And right now it seems AMD developers do not even have the time to respond with hand waving to offers of help by someone with C and kernel experience. Seriously frustrating experience

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      Anyone know what Iceland is?
      This commit adds PCI-IDs for Iceland, Tonga and Carrizo. Tonga is the R9 285, Carrizo are APUs, so I'd say Iceland are the new R9 3xx cards (those who aren't a rebrand of older generations).

Edit: This table lists Tonga, Iceland/Topaz and Carrizo as GCN 1.2. So yeah, Iceland/Topaz are for sure R9 3xx.
      Last edited by Gusar; 21 April 2015, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Hi all,

why it was necessary to create a new kernel driver ? Couldn't they use radeon for all generations ?
        This could also help solve problems in older card generations that might become unsupported in the middle term.

Thanks

Comment

amdgpu ddx does not work(black screen), with moodesetting all works fine
          Code:
          [    31.540] 	X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
          [    31.540] 	X.Org Video Driver: 19.0
          [    31.540] 	X.Org XInput driver : 22.0
          [    31.540] 	X.Org Server Extension : 9.0
          [    31.540] (II) xfree86: Adding drm device (/dev/dri/card0)
          [    31.541] (--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 1002:665c:1462:2931 rev 0, Mem @ 0xe0000000/268435456, 0xf0000000/8388608, 0xf7e00000/262144, I/O @ 0x0000e000/256, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
          [    31.541] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
          [    31.605] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
          [    31.817] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
          [    31.817] 	compiled for 1.17.99, module version = 1.0.0
          [    31.817] 	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 9.0
          [    31.817] (==) AIGLX enabled
          [    31.817] (II) LoadModule: "amdgpu"
          [    31.818] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/amdgpu_drv.so
          [    31.873] (II) Module amdgpu: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
          [    31.873] 	compiled for 1.17.99, module version = 0.0.1
          [    31.873] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
          [    31.873] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 19.0
          [    31.873] (II) AMDGPU: Driver for AMD Radeon chipsets: BONAIRE, BONAIRE, BONAIRE,
          	BONAIRE, BONAIRE, BONAIRE, BONAIRE, BONAIRE, KABINI, KABINI, KABINI,
          	KABINI, KABINI, KABINI, KABINI, KABINI, KABINI, KABINI, KABINI,
          	KABINI, KABINI, KABINI, KABINI, KABINI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI,
          	KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI,
          	KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI,
          	KAVERI, KAVERI, HAWAII, HAWAII, HAWAII, HAWAII, HAWAII, HAWAII,
          	HAWAII, HAWAII, HAWAII, HAWAII, HAWAII, HAWAII, TOPAZ, TOPAZ, TOPAZ,
          	TOPAZ, TOPAZ, TONGA, TONGA, TONGA, TONGA, TONGA, TONGA, CARRIZO,
          	CARRIZO, CARRIZO, CARRIZO, CARRIZO
          [    31.873] (++) using VT number 7

[    31.894] (II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled.
          [    31.894] (II) AMDGPU(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
          	"Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
          [    31.894] (==) AMDGPU(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
          [    31.894] (II) AMDGPU(0): Pixel depth = 24 bits stored in 4 bytes (32 bpp pixmaps)
          [    31.894] (==) AMDGPU(0): Default visual is TrueColor
          [    31.894] (==) AMDGPU(0): RGB weight 888
          [    31.894] (II) AMDGPU(0): Using 8 bits per RGB (8 bit DAC)
          [    31.894] (--) AMDGPU(0): Chipset: "BONAIRE" (ChipID = 0x665c)
          [    31.894] (II) Loading sub module "dri2"
          [    31.894] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
          [    31.894] (II) Module "dri2" already built-in

Comment

Nice, but where is the blob?
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by iznogood View Post
              Hi all,

why it was necessary to create a new kernel driver ? Couldn't they use radeon for all generations ?
              This could also help solve problems in older card generations that might become unsupported in the middle term.

Thanks
              You could as well ask why there is a need to have different kernel drivers at all.

Comment

Hi all,
                Thanks
                Well, if hardware is really different, you need a new driver. So you have different drivers for different generations. Like you have different drivers for different vendors. You could try to squeeze everything in one driver but that would be a huge bloated thing then cause it has to deal with possibly very different hardware. There were a few "breaks" in the line of AMD-ATI cards. Among the recent ones were switches from r300(g) to r600g, then to radeonsi and now amdgpu. But you only need the driver stack for your very graphic cards so no worries about that.

So using "radeon" for all generations might be possible in theory but would be a huge effort to keep the differences seperated in one driver. Also, additions and things done in amdgpu will likely NOT help older card's problems (because of the totally different HW and thus it is technically impossible). I guess that code here does barely contain "generic things" that it could be applied to older chips.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Thanks
                  It looks like AMD want a clean design for the new amdgpu kernel driver which doesn't contain all the code which is necessary to run all the graphic cards from the last years.
                  Maintaining one kernel driver instead of two should be better

Comment

It should be easy to use amdgpu for all radeonsi+ cards and radeon for all the rest but i did not get why there was a new ddx introduced, isn't modesetting the way to go as it already has 2d accelleration via glamor? Next it will be interesting to see if you can build fglrx without radeonsi pci ids in an easy way. Basically amdgpu could be parsed but we will see... The other way would be: fglrx just drops support for all pre radeonsi cards...

Comment

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
                      Ok, somebody please explain to a complete noob what all of this means. The way I understand it - AMD are pushing all current users under the bus. Yet I see people saying that the new driver will not be ready in a long time and we'll be stuck with fglrx for a while. Also what does it mean for performance because obviously this is the year that Linux gaming may gain momentum? If AMD are just going to be using the same old crappy driver for 90% of its user base why would I even bother to pup into my Linux partition - Photoshop and GTAV are on Windows anyway. My 290x struggles to keep 60fps on a game like Pillars of Eternity (in Linux) which has static hand drawn backgrounds. And that is with the latest beta driver. What about anybody who doesn't use Ubuntu or a derivative distro or people who don't want to use beta drivers? How are they going to catch up by November when the Steam Machines are coming?
                      (someone correct me if I write smth. wrong)

> explain

There is a new driver. A part of the whole Linux/Unix graphics system. This new part here is the kernel part.
                      You do not need this driver - unless you happen to use a R9 285 based card or if you're going to buy an APU or card that is not yet on the market (Carizzo, R9 3xx+).

The interesting thing here is
                      a) it is a driver for a new generation of hardware (that was not yet supported - because it is different from all the previous ones AMD/ATI made)
                      The new HW is called GCN 1.2 and above.
                      b) this new driver will allow for the first time to exchange your userland part (that is not in the Linux (or BSD) kernel) without (!) recompiling the kernel or its modules. So you can switch more easily between fglrx or the free driver stack. Both use the kernel driver (called "amdgpu") as a base.

> pushing users under the bus

Huh? I think making AMDGPU was a great move. It took some time, of course, yes. But that is also due to complexity and likely IP issues (they have an internal review if this so called "intellectual property" is somehow affected).

> not ready

Hey, the hardware for that is not even on the market! (let aside R9 285)
                      So this is awesome.
                      Yes, some functionality in the free driver is not yet complete. No wonder if the hardware is new and different and you can't just recycle old code and just adjust some numbers.
                      From the

it is already in good shape!
                      Power management is most important now as missing item but most other things seem to be on par with what we already have. And as far as I know there is no mesa based driver in the world that has full OpenGL 4.x right now.

> complaints about PS, GTA V

Uh, well, please complain to the appropriate persons about that. Ask Rockstar north why they are not releasing their game for Linux. Ask them why they inject all that pesky digital restriction management on people while you're at it.
                      Complain to Adobe please for making horrible software like flash. For making their PS a SAAS.

You can use fglrx probably on most distributions. Even if it is not listed in the package management system of each distribution you could probably manually install it - the way you do it in MS Windows.
                      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                      X