Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases New "AMDGPU" Linux Kernel Driver & Mesa Support

Phoronix: AMD Releases New "AMDGPU" Linux Kernel Driver & Mesa Support

At long last the source code to the new AMDGPU driver has been released! This is the new driver needed to support the Radeon R9 285 graphics card along with future GPUs/APUs like Carrizo. Compared to the existing Radeon DRM driver, the new AMDGPU is needed for AMD's new unified driver strategy whereby the new Catalyst driver will be isolated to being a user-space binary blob with both the full open-source driver and the Catalyst driver using this common AMDGPU kernel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally !

Thank you, AMD It's time to start thinking about a new GPU, I guess... But I am going to wait until vulkan is in good shape, anyway.

Comment

My R9 285 is ready.

Comment

Yay, CIK support as well. Don't know if this will be better at some point in the future (radeon is still default for those apparently), but I think it might extend the active support for those parts. At least it's good to have a choice :-)

Comment

This is actually sooner than I expected. Anyways, thumbs up from me!

Comment

Kudos to AMD. Nvidia could do the same improving nouveau

Comment

Sad thing is 4.2 may not make it into Ubuntu 15.10, so we may not see support for a GPU released last year on Mesa until next year for the most popular distro.

Comment

Hmm.... makes me wonder if this means the R9 300 series will be released soon...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Hmm.... makes me wonder if this means the R9 300 series will be released soon...
                  July or shortly after:
                  AMD CEO Lisa Su let slip during last week's earnings call that Windows 10 would launch in late July. Was she right? Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    Sad thing is 4.2 may not make it into Ubuntu 15.10, so we may not see support for a GPU released last year on Mesa until next year for the most popular distro.
                    It should be a pretty clean backport even if 4.2 doesn't make it into the fall distro releases. The code Alex pushed is based on 4.1...
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X