Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile X700 works fine

Originally posted by Nicolas View Post
    On the other hand I have an ATI Mobility X700 128MB based notebook for 2 (TWO!!) years that can't run any of the simplest features everyone uses today.
    Even the screen saver and screen locker fading is broken. 8.01 crashed my computer if I restarted X.
    Weird,

I have an ATI Mobility X700 too (Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo notebook) and I don't have serious problems (when not running COMPIZ).
    OpenGL programs/games work fine, XV Video works very good. I have Suspend working. Direct3D games under Wine working better than expected.

The only thing I would like to see done better is AIGLX so COMPIZ problems are gone.

It would also be nice to set the powerstate with the controlpanel (and saved for the next boots)

Ubuntu 7.10 (with 2.6.20 kernel)

Comment

Originally posted by zittergie View Post
      Weird,

I have an ATI Mobility X700 too (Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo notebook) and I don't have serious problems (when not running COMPIZ).
      OpenGL programs/games work fine, XV Video works very good. I have Suspend working. Direct3D games under Wine working better than expected.

The only thing I would like to see done better is AIGLX so COMPIZ problems are gone.

It would also be nice to set the powerstate with the controlpanel (and saved for the next boots)

Ubuntu 7.10 (with 2.6.20 kernel)
      Try locking your station (Ctrl-Alt-L I think) and see if the screen fading works correctly.

Comment

Try locking your station (Ctrl-Alt-L I think) and see if the screen fading works correctly.
        When I Do (Ctrl-Alt-L) the session locks, if I press a key or move the mouse I get an unlocking window to go back to my session. Everything works fine. The screen does not fade however, but goes black instantly.

Retested the suspend key again, works fine too. Notebook goes to sleep, just powered it up again, and the screen is where I left it. And after a few second my wireless network is up again (only works with ndiswrapper, not with the broadcom firmware )

BTW just gave COMPIZ another try. Runs better than with the previous driver. No windowed video yet, but fullscreen video now works fine without flickering.
        Last edited by zittergie; 14 February 2008, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zittergie View Post
          Weird,
          Weird indeed I have an X700 Mobility too (Acer laptop) and it doesn't work with either the free (radeon) or the proprietary (fglrx) drivers. On fglrx (8.1 was the last I tried) I got:
          - freezing X on exit (solved by disabling atieventsd)
          - googleearth crashes (it works with radeon on the same config, albeit unusably slow)
          - gltron and other games crash when entering 3D mode
          - XV is horrible (tearing, blocky pixels, basically looks ugly)
          - compiz does not work (I hear it's fixed in 8.2)

With the radeon driver, things basically work (gltron, googleearth, other games, even compiz) and XV looks and plays great; however the 3D performance is so abysmal that it's only useful for simple games (even foobillard doesn't get more than 10 fps with high settings, other games need to be played at 640x480 for decent speed, googleearth is unusable).

So, two and a half years after buying this laptop, the Linux support is still lacking with all available drivers. I frankly believe that it's unacceptable and will _never_ buy an ati-based product again. As a side-note, I am not a workstation user, but I am responsible for a few PC purchases here and there (20/30 at a time). All of those will be running windows, however _none_ of them will have an ATI chipset or graphics card in it... Food for thought?

P.S.: I also have two more ATI-based cards: an X300 embedded on a MB that I tried to use for a HTPC with MythTV (oh, the horror) and a 9250 that's in an older computer. The 9250 works with the free driver, albeit it's quite slower than in Windows. And that's, I dunno, a century after it was released?!

Comment

create a bug

Is it just me or are AMD just creating a bug, so they can say, HEY we fixed this bug from the last release.

It just seems like there is very little improvement or progress from the intial release, Why add compiz when it's not 100% functional it only annoys its users.

I mean is really to much to ask to buy hardware and expect it to work?

Nvidia seems to be able to get drivers out, this really is a joke.

I can see AMD going bust this year, well there not competing performance wise and can't implement any stability either.

I think it's time to sell this 3870 while it's still worth something.

Comment

i too must admit that AMD's efforts are simply not cutting it. They dont seem to be going anywhere. They are not competing on performance (be it graphics, cpu's, chipsets), they are not competing on price, and they are most certainly not competing on quality or stability, hell, not even features. The only point where they stand out(well, not really anymore considering intel) is that they will give out docs, but they are being completely slow with that...

and well, people might say: "well.. its a big job.. blablabla driver takes time to develop..." well, thats not the customers problem. AMD isnt delivering a product anywhere near release quality, in the ATI graphics department a 4 year old product hasnt even reached what i'd call beta quality yet, hell, not even alpha, and newer hardware is alot worse off..

the only positive thing about it is that it lets phoronix bring their own version of "worse than failure" every month when the new fglrx is released...

Comment

In 8.02 I still can't suspend or hibernate. It just goes to a blinking cursor and stops. I have to hard reboot and it does not resume my session.

I'm also still having the problem that started with 7.12 that when I close the lid of my laptop when gnome-screensaver is running it seems to crash the computer and not turn the screen on. I can't ssh in or anything to investigate the problem, so I have to do a hard reboot every time I forget to kill gnome-screensaver also.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                  I can think of a few reasons:
                  - The quality of fglrx releases seems to be steadily improving...
                  Serioulsy? Do you work for ATI?
                  You mean you haven't noticed? The quality of the releases ARE improving. Compare 8.02 (fglrx 8.45.5) to a driver from a year ago (8.34) and there is no comparison. Well, because of the new OpenGL component. Though if you compare 8.41 to 8.45, you should notice some major changes... There still is some notable AIGLX and X-Video problems, but AMD is still working out the bugs in this driver having just gone through their OGL driver swap-out less than six months ago. Keeping in mind, ATI had spent something like a little less than two years writing that new driver while still maintaining the old fglrx code-base and pushing out those monthly updates.

I truly believed I'd never see the day of ATI CrossFire support on Linux, but heck, if it's released for Linux this year I will not be surprised... The quality of the releases are improving and there is no doubt about that. You may still have some bugs inhibiting your ideal ATI Linux desktop experience, but (contrary to rumors) their developers aren't monkeys. They are working to overcome these lingering problems and just because the releases aren't perfect doesn't mean they aren't improving.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Malek View Post
                    This is pretty retarded, the link from libfglrx_gamma.so.1.0 to libfglrx_gamma.so.1 still has to be made in this release, or the installer dies... at least on Debian unstable anyway.
                    BTW, does no one use x86_64 Debian ? It took me a good couple of hours (just because I wasn't looking in the right place though ) to figure out that the installer was doing ldconfig -n on arch/x86_64/usr/X11R6/lib , whereas it should be on lib64. Fix the scripts guys.

PS. Hi everybody .

Comment

Hi,
                      I have some very anoying bugs I need some help with.

With every start and exit of an opengl application, fps in flg_glxgears seems to drop down (after just one exit on CS-1.6 I can't play it again, I have to reboot my entire system). Why entire system?
                      Well it's another bug. After restarting xserver (ctrl+alt+backspace) when I run any application that uses fglrx (even fglrxinfo) my system hardlocks. This is really getting on my nerves.

Now I use dual head, but these bugs were present even with single monitor setup and came with each driver since 8.42.3 I think..

fglrx 8.02
                      ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700/64MB
                      X Window 1.3.0
                      KDE: 3.5.8

my xorg.conf:
                      HTML Code:
                      Section "ServerLayout"
                              Identifier     "Default Layout"
                              Screen         "Default Screen" 0 0
                              Screen         "aticonfig-Screen[1]" Above "Default Screen"
                              InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
                              InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
                              InputDevice    "Synaptics Touchpad"
                      EndSection

Section "Files"
                      EndSection

Section "Module"
                      EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
                              Option      "AIGLX" "off"
                      EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                              Identifier  "Generic Keyboard"
                              Driver      "kbd"
                              Option      "CoreKeyboard"
                              Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
                              Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
                              Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
                      EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                              Identifier  "Configured Mouse"
                              Driver      "mouse"
                              Option      "CorePointer"
                              Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
                              Option      "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
                              Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
                      EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                              Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
                              Driver          "synaptics"
                              Option          "SendCoreEvents" "true"
                              Option          "Device" "/dev/psaux"
                              Option          "Protocol" "auto-dev"
                              Option          "SHMConfig" "on"
                      # Defaults similar to MS Windows's behavior
                              Option          "LeftEdge" "1900"
                              Option          "RightEdge" "5400"
                              Option          "TopEdge" "1400"
                              Option          "BottomEdge" "4500"
                              Option          "FingerLow" "25"
                              Option          "FingerHigh" "30"
                              Option          "MaxTapTime" "180"
                              Option          "MaxTapMove" "220"
                              Option          "VertScrollDelta" "100"
                              Option          "MinSpeed" "0.02"
                              Option          "MaxSpeed" "0.18"
                              Option          "AccelFactor" "0.0010"
                      #       Option          "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
                      EndSection

Section "Monitor"
                              Identifier   "Generic Monitor"
                              Option       "DPMS"
                      EndSection

Section "Monitor"
                              Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[1]"
                              Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
                              Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
                              Option      "DPMS" "true"
                      EndSection

Section "Device"
                              Identifier  "ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]"
                              Driver      "fglrx"
                              Option      "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
                              Option      "VideoOverlay" "on"
                              Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
                              Option      "MonitorLayout" "LVDS, AUTO"
                              BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
                      EndSection

Section "Device"
                              Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[1]"
                              Driver      "fglrx"
                              BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
                              Screen      1
                      EndSection

Section "Screen"
                              Identifier "Default Screen"
                              Device     "ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]"
                              Monitor    "Generic Monitor"
                              DefaultDepth     24
                              SubSection "Display"
                                      Modes    "1024x768"
                              EndSubSection
                      EndSection

Section "Screen"
                              Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[1]"
                              Device     "aticonfig-Device[1]"
                              Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[1]"
                              DefaultDepth     24
                              SubSection "Display"
                                      Viewport   0 0
                                      Modes   "1400x1050"
                                      Depth     24
                              EndSubSection
                      EndSection

Section "Extensions"
                              Option      "Composite" "Disable"
                      #       Option  "RENDER"        "1"
                      EndSection
                      Last edited by Neithan; 14 February 2008, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X