8.02 "Another Cr*ppy Release Edition" ACRE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heh, at least they have a few days more time to fix some problems now
    Though this release was probably supposed to only address the Xorg 7.3 bugs and now they're really up to AGP fixes...
    Would be really great for me, perhaps I can finally safely upgrade my 8.43 next month

Comment

• Originally posted by sloggerKhan View Post
      One thing I have noticed with this version after using a while:
      Opengl overlay for video LOADS my CPU..... A LOT.
      While XV has stopped working again, though X11 overlay works, but just won't render subs nicely and uses much less CPU.
      I think I'd be overall okay with fglrx at this point if the video overlays get set straight and monitor autoconfig improves a bit.
      With your card I would expect you to get the best results using Xv with VideoOverlay on, TexturedVideo off and OpenGLOverlay off. That would make use of the video processing hardware in the overlay block and should give both best quality and lowest CPU.
      Last edited by bridgman; 17 February 2008, 02:48 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        With your card I would expect you to get the best results using Xv with VideoOverlay on, TexturedVideo off and OpenGLOverlay off. That would make use of the video processing hardware in the overlay block and should give both best quality and lowest CPU.
        That is what I have set in my xorg.conf:
        Code:
        Section "Device"
        	Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
        	Driver      "fglrx"
        	Option      "VideoOverlay" "on"
        	Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
        	Option	    "TexturedVideo" "off"	
        	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        EndSection
        However, xv just plain doesn't work as well as it did several releases ago. The best demo of this is subtitle rendering:

Using the xv overlay:

Using the opengl overlay:

As you can see, the xv overlay not only has reduced video scaling quality compared to the opengl overlay, it's also rendering subtitles in the same video layer and scaling them with it so that they look terrible.

The last flgrx where the xv overlay was working properly for me (several releases ago) did not have this issue and xv output actually looked better than opengl because of less video tearing. The xv overlay used to render subtitles as they appear in the opengl example given.

I guess what I'm getting at is I used to get video looking nearly exactly like the opengl overlay example above from xv while only using 5-12% cpu, but with the last 2 or three releases, xv either hasn't worked or has given output like the example above or worse, while opengl gives the output quality I used to get with 5-12% cpu on xv @ 90% cpu. My pet peeve is the subtitle rendering with xv, though.

Videos were played back using smplayer mplayer frontend.

And thanks for the response Bridgman.
        Last edited by sloggerKhan; 17 February 2008, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• OK, thanks. That helps a lot.

I'm not asking you to go back and try all the older drivers, but do you happen to remember the last driver that behaved the way you expected ?

EDIT - looks like Christian_L posted that info in another thread. Thanks for the pics !
          Last edited by bridgman; 17 February 2008, 05:30 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            OK, thanks. That helps a lot.

I'm not asking you to go back and try all the older drivers, but do you happen to remember the last driver that behaved the way you expected ?
            bridgman, I was thinking the exact same thing and I am just not sure off hand.

Edit, oh okay. *off to find christian_l's post.*

Edit:
            Originally posted by Christian_L View Post
            (Dell Inspiron 6400 with Mobility X1400, Fedora 8)

I don't remember what the exact version was, but somewhere around 8.35, my only problem with Xv was a thin green bar covering the top of some videos. Not perfect, but useable. Around 8.40/41, Xv was completely broken (black window or green garbage). 8.42 brought back basic Xv, but gave me blocky videos in fullscreen (no antialiasing for the blown up resolution) and diagonal video tearing, most noticeable with big video resolutions (1280x720) and during fast movements. So I switched to OpenGL, which has the same video tearing, but smooth fullscreen display. Tearing can be reduced by setting "Vertical Refresh" in amdcccle to "Quality", but it's still too annoying to use on some videos. Same effects under 7.11. Haven't tried 7.12 because my laptop's native resolution is 1680x1050... So yes, for me it's a regression.
            I think this very similarly describes my issues, only I never had the green bar problem, and my reference driver for xv would probably be the default ubuntu gutsy 8.37 driver.

Also:

OK, thanks. When you say "scaling doesn't work" do you mean "the image doesn't change size" or a scaling quality issue like the one described in the following post ?

I think in the 8.42 release Christian_L refers to, or thereabouts, XV acted like a direct pixel to pixel scale, really blocky. Then (for me it) it stopped working completely for one or 2 releases, and now it's better than pixel for pixel scaling, but still obviously messed up.
            Last edited by sloggerKhan; 17 February 2008, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• Well, I now get total corruption with anything 3-D with this total insult of a release from ATI. I watched this driver top-out back in October or so, when I could run compiz and *almost* play Tomb Raider under Wine. Since then, with each progressive _upgrade_ I have seen the features downgrade. My new NVIDIA card is on the way.

Personally, I feel it is false advertising for ATI to even remotely hint that their cards work under Linux. Its not enough that we shell out hard earned cash for their cards, they want to corner us into putting down another $250+ for a proprietary operating system we just don't want! Makes no sense to me...their programmers have access to every last line of the Linux kernel...they can get free versions of many popular distros for testing...they know their chips better than anyone else can, and yet their drivers get worse instead of better? Wha...?

Don't even get me started on the All-In-Wonder cards and the virtually dead Gatos project... I fell for that bogus claim too.

Comment

• Pretty Good Luck With 8.02 on HD3850

8.02 is working pretty good with a HD3850. I do still have a problem with Totem that is annoying but not fatal. I get a green bar on the screen with totem and the colors are all distorted.

Is this a known problem, or do I have a setting wrong? Actually I say it's not fatal, but I also did get a lockup one time while trying it.

Comment

• ?? scratching my head ? .. ??

while reading all the usual rant about this latest fglrx release, I thought why bother even trying. But I did, and I gotta say, this is the best damn result from the so called new code base, so far ..

AIGLX performance is much better overall. THe only problems i get are with video & opengl playback which don't "attach" to compiz effects, but thats not really an fglrx issue is it ? ..

And thinking like more optimization & improvement might be coming, feels like were finally getting somewhere. Id be curious to see this driver benchmarked againts 8.01, 8.40 & the windows driver.

Now, lets hope not too many things break for 8.03...... ;p

Comment

• Slow firefox scrolling

IMHO this is a major AIGLX bug.. please fix it for heaven's sake

Comment

• This release rocks for me! No more scrolling lags after the update. I'm using AIGLX + Ubuntu 7.10 + Catalyst 8.02. Most of the performance issues are gone.

Comment

Working...
                      X