AMD FreeSync Support On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weegee View Post
    Should've mentioned that G-Sync is working perfectly fine under Linux by simply checking a box in the NVIDIA driver settings.
    I think it is easier to mention all the stuff that works on AMD that doesn't wok with NVIDIA's Linux drivers.

Anyone compared freesync or gsync with simply using compton to remove tearing?
    Shouldn't matter on the desktop. You should be capped at your monitors refresh rate anyway. If you constantly pump out say 60 FPS on a 60 Hz monitor and use VSync there is no benefit to G Sync.

Comment

Seems like the only people on Linux happy with AMD are the ideological ones for whom simply the fact that something is open source is good enough reason to use it. Unfortunately for AMD most people will look at the performance and features on merit. It's sad because I can sense that much of the linux community likes AMD as a company, and would like to buy their products- and would do so if the products were competitive like they are on windows.

I was hoping that the drivers would be fixed in 2014, didn't happen. Hope it happens in 2015 at least...

Comment

Well i would like to see FreeSync in opensource drivers, but for now dunno care much because both F&G techs introduce nothing but vendor lockin

And lockin is not just for the GPU chip, but monitor too
        Last edited by dungeon; 25 March 2015, 10:11 AM.

Comment

On the GPU side, FreeSync is compatible with all current generation Radeon GPUs and AMD APUs.
          Not quite so, freesync is fully supported by r9-295x2, r9-290/x, r9-285 and r7-260/x and selected apus("Kaveri," "Kabini," "Temash," "Beema" and "Mullins"). R9-280/x, r9-270/x and r7-265 does not support freesync on gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Well i would like to see FreeSync in opensource drivers, but for now dunno care much because both F&G techs introduce nothing but vendor lockin

Freesync is not vendor lock-in. Freesync is the name given to AMD's implementation which happens to require monitors supporting adaptive sync displayport 1.2a
            Intel and Nvidia are capable of writing their own drivers to enable dynamic refresh rates on such monitors. It just won't be called freesync (that is AMD's trademark).

Comment

If you think Freesync is about vendor-lockin, then you don't know much about it. Freesync is just the driver part that utilises the Adaptive-sync standard in any compatible monitor (Quite a few are coming out). Nvidia can make G-sync do the same anytime they want, but since their solution is about vendor-lockin, they're not going to.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                If you think Freesync is about vendor-lockin, then you don't know much about it. Freesync is just the driver part that utilises the Adaptive-sync standard in any compatible monitor (Quite a few are coming out). Nvidia can make G-sync do the same anytime they want, but since their solution is about vendor-lockin, they're not going to.
                Yup, this is true, and as an Nvidia customer I am extremely grumpy about this, they even officially announced at one point that they would not support it. This made me so furious I started considering jumping ship to AMD, and I would too IF their linux drivers weren't so far behind nvidia's, and IF they will be able to compete with Nvidia's Pascal architecture which I am anticipating. If they can do that at 2016 then I'll hop over to team red in a heartbeat. Fuck nvidia's Gsync, no sane person even wants it for 200-300$ when adaptive sync is going to come built into most monitors soon enough (which only costs about 50$ or so I hear)

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                  Yup, that is why both are lockin. It is enogh that one big refuse to play with the standards and lockin begin.

Comment

Yup, that is why both are lockin.
                    Freesync is not lock in. It works on all monitors supporting display port 1.2a adaptive sync which is an industry standard. And Intel/NVIDIA too could write drivers to enable same functionality on those monitors from their GPUs. So you are not locked in. The fact that they have not got around to doing it yet doesn't mean it's lock in.

Comment

On the GPU side, FreeSync is compatible with all current generation Radeon GPUs and AMD APUs.
                      Not quite:

Originally posted by Anandtech
                      Besides needing a driver and FreeSync display, you also need a GPU that uses AMD’s GCN 1.1 or later architecture. The list at present consists of the R7 260/260X (1.1), R9 285, R9 (1.2), 290/290X/295X2 (1.1) discrete GPUs, as well as the Kaveri APUs – A6-7400K, A8-7600/7650K, and A10-7700K/7800/7850K (1.1). First generation GCN 1.0 cards (HD 7950/7970 or R9 280/280X and similar) are not supported.
                      280 (7970), and 270 (7870) series GPU's are still 'current'.

Fiji will be the first GCN 1.3 architecture, and I believe that the Carrizo APU will be the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X