No announcement yet.

Open-Source ATI R500 EXA & XAA Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be interested in making sure the radeon driver CP support was actually enabled (the r500 support is now in DRM master).

If it was it might be worth comparing CPU usage on both tests to see if there is a big difference.

Comment

It might be worth adding the option for EXA:

Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"

and seeing if that brings the EXA performance closer to that of XAA. That's what I use with the radeon driver using EXA on an RV350, and it seems to provide a significant speedup, gtkperf results are comparable to XAA.

Comment

Originally posted by ejs1920 View Post
        It might be worth adding the option for EXA:

Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"

and seeing if that brings the EXA performance closer to that of XAA. That's what I use with the radeon driver using EXA on an RV350, and it seems to provide a significant speedup, gtkperf results are comparable to XAA.
        does someone know how to fix the offscreen pixmaps on exa?! on xaa i got them fixed with xaanooffscreenpixmaps but on exa the same option doesn't work. i suspect it isn't supported.

Comment

Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
          does someone know how to fix the offscreen pixmaps on exa?! on xaa i got them fixed with xaanooffscreenpixmaps but on exa the same option doesn't work. i suspect it isn't supported.
          They work differently so the same option doesn't make any sense.

Comment

I've read something about "EXANoOffscreenPixmaps"...

Comment

I don't know why you'd want to disable the offscreen pixmap memory management, but you could try the FBTexPercent option from man radeon.

Option "FBTexPercent" "100"

should assign all memory for OpenGL textures and none for EXA offscreen. I've not tested this!

Comment

Originally posted by ejs1920 View Post
                I don't know why you'd want to disable the offscreen pixmap memory management, but you could try the FBTexPercent option from man radeon.

Option "FBTexPercent" "100"

should assign all memory for OpenGL textures and none for EXA offscreen. I've not tested this!
                i'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
                  i'll give it a shot and see what happens.
                  Don't, you're disabling EXA that way. XAANoOffscreenPixmaps is needed because XAA is not good and the software implementation is faster than the "acceleration", but EXA works, so you don't need to tweak FBTexPercent.

That said, this article is pointless! There's no EXA render acceleration for R500 with the xf86-video-ati driver, just check the sources (radeon_exa_funcs.c)!

Comment

Right. AFAIK there are some EXA calls implemented (solid fills and copy) but without render the performance is still pretty slow. The missing EXA calls are the ones which need the 3d engine, so they won't be enabled yet.

We are trying to keep the 2d accel implementations in radeon and radeonhd compatible so that improvements in either one can be pushed easily across to the other as well.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by GhePeU View Post
                      XAANoOffscreenPixmaps is needed because XAA is not good and the software implementation is faster than the "acceleration", but EXA works, so you don't need to tweak FBTexPercent.
                      What's the syntax for the

XAANoOffscreenPixmaps

option? Is it:

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "enable"

Comment

Working...
                      X