Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rs690 open source support

Hi
    I just got a new laptop with radeon x1200 (rs690).
    As much as possible I would like to avoid using fglrx but radeonhd seems to be too basic for me (for now at least as I would like to have at least basic 3d)...

However I've noticed some commits on radeon driver git involving support for rs690 (named initial rs690 support)... So what works with that driver for the time being ? in another discussion on this forum it was mentioned that rs690 3d engine is r430 without vertex shaders and that chip is supported by radeon driver...

so I'm a bit confused about the driver I should choose to use :P anyway for now I'm stuck with Vista as I decided to wait for kernel 2.6.24 and KDE 4.0.1

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
    Hi
    I just got a new laptop with radeon x1200 (rs690).
    As much as possible I would like to avoid using fglrx but radeonhd seems to be too basic for me (for now at least as I would like to have at least basic 3d)...

However I've noticed some commits on radeon driver git involving support for rs690 (named initial rs690 support)... So what works with that driver for the time being ? in another discussion on this forum it was mentioned that rs690 3d engine is r430 without vertex shaders and that chip is supported by radeon driver...

so I'm a bit confused about the driver I should choose to use :P anyway for now I'm stuck with Vista as I decided to wait for kernel 2.6.24 and KDE 4.0.1
    The RS690 should work with radeon, but none of the radeon developers have had the hardware until now. I just bought a 690 board so as soon as I get it up and running I should be able to work out any remaining kinks. That should at least give you 2D accel and modesetting. 3D will take time.

Alex

Comment

You bought a board? Can't you get it for free from ATI?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        You bought a board? Can't you get it for free from ATI?
        I bought it for personal use, but I could probably expense it if I do enough work related stuff on it.

Comment

We have AMD-designed reference boards for 690 which were used for pre-launch development and testing. We still use them sometimes but in general we're better off if the development and test work is done on production hardware instead.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            I just bought a 690 board so as soon as I get it up and running I should be able to work out any remaining kinks. That should at least give you 2D accel and modesetting. 3D will take time.
            Cool ... I'll be sure to test it when it's done then (without 3d). Thanks for the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
              Cool ... I'll be sure to test it when it's done then (without 3d). Thanks for the answer.
              Well it works more or less now. MMIO 2D accel and output setup work fine. DDC doesn't seem to work, but I should be able to sort that out. radeonhd supports it as well.

Comment

test it now

Well the initial rs690 3D support due to work done by Maciej Cencora is now in the the trees, I'll get more done on it when I get my rs690 after LCA.

Comment

While I'm not an owner of that particular chip, and even though there's still a lot more to do, I still need to say that I appreciate all the work, time, and effort that all of you put into the development of the OSS drivers.

Thank you very much ^^

Comment

RS6990 experiences of users

RS6990 experiences of users

you can read all about the experiences the users of
                    X1200 series board RS690 on the following website

https://groups.google.com/group/x1250

you can find out what works & what does not currently work. If you are interested please join that mailinglist

Comment

Working...
                    X