Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDKFD HSA Kernel Driver Changes Planned For Linux 3.20

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMDKFD HSA Kernel Driver Changes Planned For Linux 3.20

    Phoronix: AMDKFD HSA Kernel Driver Changes Planned For Linux 3.20

    Oded Gabbay of AMD has sent in his latest AMDKFD kernel driver changes that he's hoping to have integrated for the Linux 3.20 kernel merge window...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTg4NTA

  • #2
    AMDGPU? AMDKFD? Can they not give more than 2 seconds thought when they're naming these things? Those hardly roll off the tongue.

    Oh well, at least they're not called something like GIMP, I suppose that's something.

    None-the-less, I'm excited to see how these turn out. Michael, will you be getting a 285 to benchmark the new driver?

    Comment


    • #3
      A stupid question: how much will AMDGPU's proprietary userspace lag compared to the FOSS one?
      Even if the new FOSS driver is almost ready I fear we will not see the proprietary one until the end of the year
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        AMDGPU? AMDKFD? Can they not give more than 2 seconds thought when they're naming these things? Those hardly roll off the tongue.

        Oh well, at least they're not called something like GIMP, I suppose that's something.

        None-the-less, I'm excited to see how these turn out. Michael, will you be getting a 285 to benchmark the new driver?
        They're not supposed to "roll of the tongue", they are kernel drivers. The marketing team is probably not even involved with naming them. AMDGPU is like so on point that I don't know how they can make it more descriptive. AMDKFD is obviously not as good, as I don't even know what KFD stands for. The point is, endusers are not supposed to know these names anyway.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          AMDGPU? AMDKFD? Can they not give more than 2 seconds thought when they're naming these things? Those hardly roll off the tongue.

          Oh well, at least they're not called something like GIMP, I suppose that's something.

          None-the-less, I'm excited to see how these turn out. Michael, will you be getting a 285 to benchmark the new driver?
          I already have a 285 .... . http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21024 ... waiting on the new driver.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            They're not supposed to "roll of the tongue", they are kernel drivers. The marketing team is probably not even involved with naming them. AMDGPU is like so on point that I don't know how they can make it more descriptive. AMDKFD is obviously not as good, as I don't even know what KFD stands for. The point is, endusers are not supposed to know these names anyway.
            KFD is short for Kernel FSA Driver. What we call HSA today used to be called FSA (Fusion System Architecture), but was renamed to make it less AMD-specific as part of ramping up a cross-vendor consortium. There was an internal discussion along the lines of "we need a term for AMD's HSA implementation so let's use keep FSA for the AMD implementation".

            Since the kernel driver was vendor-specific we kept the KFD name rather than renaming it to KHD (and KHD rolls even less smoothly off the tongue than KFD).
            Last edited by bridgman; 10 January 2015, 11:32 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              KFD is short for Kernel FSA Driver. What we call HSA today used to be called FSA (Fusion System Architecture), but was renamed to make it less AMD-specific as part of ramping up a cross-vendor consortium. There was an internal discussion along the lines of "we need a term for AMD's HSA implementation so let's use keep FSA for the AMD implementation".

              Since the kernel driver was vendor-specific we kept the KFD name rather than renaming it to KHD (and KHD rolls even less smoothly off the tongue than KFD).
              Seems like AMDFSA would have been better than AMDKFD, then. We already know it's a kernel driver.

              AMDGPU is pretty much perfect, though.

              Comment


              • #8
                Actually given the AMD prefix we could probably get away with AMDHSA...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Actually given the AMD prefix we could probably get away with AMDHSA...
                  My thought exactly. But I think it is too late for that, unfortunately.

                  Nevermind, we'll save AMDHSA for the next-next-next-next-next-gen driver
                  Last edited by odedgabbay; 12 January 2015, 04:12 PM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X