Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buildpkg fails on hardy

hi all,
    i just rried to install 8.01 on a hardy testinstall, but the installer can't generate the appropriate packages. has someone a hint?

here's the output:

Code:
    ulrich@rockarolla:/usr/src$ sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-8-01-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/hardy
    Created directory fglrx-install.T17267
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.452.1.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    ==================================================
     ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager 
    ==================================================
    Generating package: Ubuntu/hardy
    Package build failed!
    Package build utility output:
    [snip cause the output is too much for the forum ;) ]
    #dh_installchangelogs
    dh_link
    dh_strip
    dh_compress
    dh_makeshlibs
    dh_installdeb
    LD_PRELOAD= dh_shlibdeps
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XQueryFont used by debian/xorg-driver-fglrx/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _XEatData used by debian/xorg-driver-fglrx/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XFillRectangle used by debian/xorg-driver-fglrx/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _XReadPad used by debian/xorg-driver-fglrx/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XFreeGC used by debian/xorg-driver-fglrx/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XFree used by debian/xorg-driver-fglrx/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XGetErrorDatabaseText used by debian/xorg-driver-fglrx/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XAddToExtensionList used by debian/xorg-driver-fglrx/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _XFlush used by debian/xorg-driver-fglrx/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol dlsym used by debian/xorg-driver-fglrx/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: 22 other similar warnings have been skipped (use -v to see them all).
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/xorg-driver-fglrx/usr/bin/fglrxinfo shouldn't be linked with libXext.so.6 (it uses none of its symbols).
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XauFileName used by debian/xorg-driver-fglrx/usr/sbin/atieventsd found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/xorg-driver-fglrx/usr/sbin/atieventsd shouldn't be linked with libXrender.so.1 (it uses none of its symbols).
    dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: couldn't find library libfglrx_gamma.so.1 needed by debian/xorg-driver-fglrx/usr/bin/fglrx_xgamma (its RPATH is '').
    Note: libraries are not searched in other binary packages that do not have any shlibs or symbols file.
    To help dpkg-shlibdeps find private libraries, you might need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
    dh_shlibdeps: command returned error code 512
    make: *** [binary] Error 1
    dpkg-buildpackage: failure: debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
    Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.T17267
    any hint is mucho appreciated! thanks!

I'm getting the same error on a fresh hardy install with an X800.

Comment

This looks like the problem I was having in Debian/lenny. I bet my solution will work for you: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7431

Comment

Originally posted by sandain View Post
        This looks like the problem I was having in Debian/lenny. I bet my solution will work for you: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7431
        you bet it worked much thanks for the hint!

the only thing to evaluate now is:
        should i install a driver that's so poorly packaged or should i buy a 8800?
        but *thats* another story....

thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by good945 View Post
          you bet it worked much thanks for the hint!

the only thing to evaluate now is:
          should i install a driver that's so poorly packaged or should i buy a 8800?
          but *thats* another story....

thanks again!
          The driver isn't poorly packaged, it works very well. It is specified for a particular set of distributions, and you aren't using one of those. I'm not sure how you can construe that as a failing on the part of ATI.

Comment

My script has a workaround for the issue, just use it.

Comment

At Phorogit.com are updated Ubuntu scripts.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I highly doubt that these work. Did not try it on hardy but on AMD64 sid. Debian target is also broken with "normal" use.

Comment

Originally posted by Porter View Post
                  The driver isn't poorly packaged, it works very well. It is specified for a particular set of distributions, and you aren't using one of those. I'm not sure how you can construe that as a failing on the part of ATI.
                  well... i KNOW what i speak off, cause i use ATI hardware for a couple of years now with linux. to be specific, since redhat 9, which came out in 2003. so then let me conclude, that i am perfectly aware of what to expect when dealing with ATI GPUs in linux.

it's just frustrating that, while i'm in the process of buying a new computer, i thought i would get a 3850, cause this card is a good bang for the buck. but: i use linux 99% of the time (windows/gaming is just a small part of my digital life), and it's no fun seeing that many flaws coming with the drivers.
                  i think i should switch. even if the alternative is way more expensive...

Comment

You can get rid of many problems if you don't use a xserver 1.4 based distro. My own distribution (KANOTIX) has even only Xorg 7.1.1 (etch) and is much more stable than lots of others - just don't try beryl with ATI there... ATI drivers really dislike anything newer than Xserver 1.3 - so gutsy would be one possibility. hardy or sid is currently no good choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X