Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fglrx 8.01 - Breaks TV-OUT ? (and terrible! glxgears performance...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian_L
    replied
    Originally posted by tonyh View Post
    2) glxgears performance is awful (60 FPS!)
    That's a result of vsync enabled (having "Vertical Refresh" in amdcccle set to some value on the right side, like "Quality")... Switch it off and run glxgears again.

Leave a comment:

• rdvaughan
    replied
    I finally got component working and have my main monitor as my HDTV at 1920x1080i under Ubuntu 7.10

It was faily easy as I broke down and bought a Nvidia 8600GTS for $160 CDN. Driver installation was quick (used Envy) and getting the HDTV displaying in both Windows and Linux was a cinch. No windowed or fullscrean video tearing even with Compiz-Fusion, just turn "Sync To VBlank" on in both Nvidia control panel (2 places) and in the "General Options/Display Settings" for Compiz-Fusion.

Do not waste your hard earned time on ATI if you really want to use Linux. ATI is a Windows only solution and surely works great with that OS.

This is my last post in the ATI forum. I am now free of VISTA and ATI.

Leave a comment:

• rdvaughan
    replied
    I gave Hellanzb a try and it worked but I am sticking with Newsbin Pro. Hellanzb reported too many errors when unraring the downloads recommending that I use command line par2. Each time I used Par2 it reported that the rar files were fine. I do not have this problem with Newsbin Pro.

Leave a comment:

• rdvaughan
    replied
    Originally posted by tonyh View Post
    Interesting that you're using NewsBin Pro - I have actually had a lot more success with Hellanzb.
    Running a Windows desktop, I had already purchased Newsbin Pro at a discount with my Giganews account. I am used to it so I tried it under WINE and it works great. I never bothered to check out any Linux based alternatives. I will look into Hellanzb to see how it compares.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• tonyh
    replied
    Interesting that you're using NewsBin Pro - I have actually had a lot more success with Hellanzb.

Leave a comment:

• rdvaughan
    replied
    I have been battling with the ATI component video issue for months now. In previous posts I found others all having the same problems you guys describe.

I would also like to dump Windows but the component video issue has held me back.

It grates me to have to go out and purchase a lower performance nVidia card just to get to use Linux when this same ATI card works so well in Windows with my HDTV. The Catalyst Control Center set up for DTV under Windows makes setting up the HDTV/Component Video a snap. I sure wish ATI would add that same functionality to the Linux Catalyst Control Center.

Coincidently my HDTV has had to be repaired and as a result I spent all my recent computer time in Linux using an old monitor. If I had any oustanding concerns with the ability of Linux to satisfy my computer needs those questions have all been answered.

The few Windows programs that do not have a satisfactory a Linux equivalent work well under WINE. In fact one of them "NewsBin Pro" actually shows faster network/download speeds then under Vista.

For me the clock is ticking on my patience with ATI. Maybe just until the HDTV repair bill is paid.

Leave a comment:

• tonyh
    replied

Sorry to hear. I've stopped futzing for now. I have an old 6800 sitting in my closet that I think I'm going to have to give a whirl.

I'm sure the ATI devs are just as frustrated as everyone else. This is a crappy situation for all involved.

Leave a comment:

• wohali
    replied
    FYI I gave up - went out and got an nVidia 6800XT card for about $30 from a local Chinese computer shop. It came with the component video dongle and a full warranty.

Took me 10 minutes to download and install the nVidia driver, specify "HD720p" in the xorg.conf file, and fire up X. It worked perfectly the first time.

I doubt I'll go back to my ATI card at this point.

Leave a comment:

• tonyh
    replied
    Agreed - everything works fine in Windows Well except for windows.

I had a brief spell where the dongle wasn't recognized - I had to plug in the VGA, boot into X, run aticonfig --query-monitor
    Then plug in the cv dvi dongle, then run aticonfig --query-monitor and the CV would be reported. Though this was on 8.01 & 7.12 - if I ever tried to to enable the CV (aticonfig --enable-monitor=crt1,cv) I would crash X.

I think the last driver version where I got "close" was 7.11 (or maybe 8.42.3)

I'm debating the nvidia question in my head right now. I have an old 6600 GT that I might through in there just to see if I can get closer with the nvidia drivers....

-- No I wasn't ever able to get X to recognize any of my custom modelines. Before it would ignore them, then it would ignore them (7.11 bug I believe...) and now X segfaults.

Leave a comment:

• wohali
    replied
    Out of curiosity, are you ever able to get X to indicate it recognizes any of your custom Modelines? Mine rejects all of them...which I think is the issue. (I don't think this projector can handle any of the standard modelines, just the various TV standards...)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X