AMD's Open-Source Radeon Linux Driver: 2014 Was Incredible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I just checked the change logs for 3.13.0-43 and found 88 drm/radeon changes, certainly more than I expected.
    Not sure which changelogs you are reading, this one?

Look at kernel numbers, those 88 drm/radeon changes are for last 6 years

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Look at kernel numbers, those 88 drm/radeon changes are for last 6 years
      Yeah, that's the log I was looking at. I managed to miss the kernel versions, that's what I get for posting before the coffee takes effect. Still, there are more changes after 3.13.0-32 than I would have expected (maybe 30), guess all the fixes from stable are being merged into the original release kernel.
      Test signature

Comment

Hey guys, sorry for my harsh language. Maybe I should be pointing my anger at the ubuntu camp. It is good you are looking into it.

For other folks that might happen to get into this situation and are like me (not proficient messing with the kernel) I found this solution. Upon booting hold the shift key in order to make the grub menu visible. Choose to boot with an older working kernel, open a terminal and uninstall the offending kernel like so:

sudo apt-get purge linux-headers-3.13.0-43-* linux-image-3.13.0-43-* linux-image-extra-3.13.0-43-*

Of course I found this after I did a clean install and stepped into the exact same situation upon the first update.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Yeah, that's the log I was looking at. I managed to miss the kernel versions, that's what I get for posting before the coffee takes effect. Still, there are more changes after 3.13.0-32 than I would have expected (maybe 30), guess all the fixes from stable are being merged into the original release kernel.
          They cut it off for particular release, you should read only changes for kernles marked as 'trusty' , earlier can be only considered as rolling changes not for particular release, once any of ubuntu release are released kernel have its own separate changelog i guess .
          Last edited by dungeon; 02 January 2015, 04:01 PM.

Comment

He, he, what is my answer there ... Yup, those list marked as [ Upstream Kernel Changes ], should be same thing as Greg do for usual stable kernels on kernel.org

Comment

Hm, i installed that ubuntu kernel on Debian and it boots and work fine . OP in that bug has similar board and Kabini as i have, that is why i tried to reproduce this by i can't, he has AM1I-A and Athlon 5150 and i AM1M-A and Athlon 5350:

New kernel causes black screen after login, I cannot use it nor switch to ttyX. It came as regular upgrade during installation of Ubuntu. Downgrade to kernel 3.13.0-32-generic is a workaround. ProblemType: Bug DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04 Package: linux-generic 3.13.0.43.50 ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-32.57-generic 3.13.11.4 Uname: Linux 3.13.0-32-generic x86_64 ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.6 Architecture: amd64 AudioDevicesInUse: USER PID ACCESS COMMAND /dev/snd/controlC1:...

Whatever Ubuntu doing different during boot then Debian might be the cause i guess I don't have plymouth, and i don't use upstart or systemd... just plain sysv, text boot.

But i have some kernel parameters, lets revert those....
              Last edited by dungeon; 02 January 2015, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Nope it work , only evbug spams like mad in dmesg, maybe lts franky kernel does not expect Debian Sid and xserver git

Comment

@zoomblab

Try kernel from proposed repo, some said there they can now boot with it - has several drm/radeon patches

Let remove now this franky s*it

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                    Even if we do agree with your assertion that Intel is hobbling the AMD performance in these tests, it would not change the main conclusion of the article which is that the free software radeon drivers have improved greatly over the past year.

I wouldn't deny that, but think about how much more improvement you may gain if you followed through with my suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRaider View Post
                      I wouldn't deny that, but think about how much more improvement you may gain if you followed through with my suggestion.
                      As it happens I do actually game with an AMD CPU and an AMD GPU together, but I am still not convinced by your assertion.

Comment

Working...
                      X