FPS capped on Linux (AMD fglrx drivers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    CCC shows 1070 there, but those clocks changes dinamicaly. If 3D is not used it is at minimum, try runing glxgears in console for example and while it running recheck current clocks.

Do you have AMD CPU maybe? You might try to set cpufreq to performance, that can be awfull sometimes... slowing down things for drivers in some cases (usually minus 18%) and can made render stuttering so fps rate goes down even more.
    I have Intel Core i7 2600 with DH67BL motherboard.

Here are fglrx results -
    Code:
    22642 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4528.199 FPS
    22368 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4473.536 FPS
    25077 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5015.390 FPS
    23572 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4714.339 FPS
    23699 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4739.657 FPS
    24181 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4836.179 FPS
    Code:
    Default Adapter - Supported device 6810
                                Core (MHz)    Memory (MHz)
               Current Clocks :    1070           1400
                 Current Peak :    1070           1400
      Configurable Peak Range : [300-1400]     [150-1625]
                     GPU load :    32%

Default Adapter - Supported device 6810
                      Sensor 0: Temperature - 41.00 C

Comment

OK, clocks looks fine there .

And CPU is Sandybridge, that should use intel's pstate... not have much experience with it but i will probably try to disable that to see how it goes without it... probably booting with intel_pstate=disable kernel parameter is enough to disable it for safe testing

Comment

I own a 7870 which is basically the same as yours only with 200MHz slower memory.
        Contrary to what many nvidia users want to say fglrx and the open drivers for radeon aren't horrible.
        I don't experience any performance issues and advised someone recently to purchase the same card you have, which he likes.
        All linux.

What resolution are you running these games at ?
        Last edited by Soul_keeper; 21 December 2014, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          OK, clocks looks fine there .

And CPU is Sandybridge, that should use intel's pstate... not have much experience with it but i will probably try to disable that to see how it goes without it... probably booting with intel_pstate=disable kernel parameter is enough to disable it for safe testing
          I didn't have intel pstate driver installed in the first place, so I installed it and tested it on powersave and performance profile.. with intel pstate It felt like there were less violent fluctuation.. but the average fps stayed the same.

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
          I own a 7870 which is basically the same as yours only with 200MHz slower memory.
          Contrary to what many nvidia users want to say fglrx and the open drivers for radeon aren't horrible.
          I don't experience any performance issues and advised someone recently to purchase the same card you have, which he likes.
          All linux.

What resolution are you running these games at ?
          I'm currently running games on 1440x900 @ 60Hz on my main monitor.
          I checked some benchmarks and reviews from users, The performance shouldn't be what I'm getting... Since you have basically the same card and not having performance issues..

Comment

I just ran dota 2 to investigate with fglrx.
            It seems I get around 60fps at 1920x1200 highest details with drops to around 30 lasting only a small time (usually when something explodes or the level ends).
            Maybe the drops could be related to disk drive loading things, or shaders/cpu stuff.

Comment

I only played the game 15min before looking at this, so i'm not well versed on the settings.
              Maybe a dota 2 player can comment, i'm thinking it could be a game setting or a bug.
              A google search is showing tons of people with the same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
                I only played the game 15min before looking at this, so i'm not well versed on the settings.
                Maybe a dota 2 player can comment, i'm thinking it could be a game setting or a bug.
                A google search is showing tons of people with the same issue.
                Can you tell me, how much GPU Load % you are getting?

I'm getting 30-50 (avg 40) fps on Dota 2.. with GPU Load stuck at 42%

Comment

that's my gpu load playing the first step of the tutorial

Comment

Can you try this?

It might help you.

And with Dota 2. I have 6970 and I have fps drops at start of the game near fountain to 30fps and when I'm choosing hero, but it is only for first game. After first game no drops and I'm running 55-60fps all the time. Latest catalyst.

Comment

Full settings reset would work like this:
                      Code:
                      screen sh -c '/etc/init.d/lightdm stop;sleep 5;rmmod fglrx;rm -f /etc/ati/amdpcsdb;/etc/init.d/lightdm start'

Comment

Working...
                      X