AMD Catalyst 8.01 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still not there for my T60p...

Under Gutsy, still cannot Suspend if the fglrx kernel module is loaded. The 3D corruption makes it impossible to use for the whole point of running it. I wish there were some official option to treat my Mobility FireGL pretty much exactly like a X1600 part, since that seemed to work pretty on par with other experiences back when using the PCI ID hack.

Comment

PPS: i removed all additional options from my xorg.conf. no change.
      Also, if you are experiencing stability problems with console switching, try disabling both OpenGLOverlay and VideoOverlay. If I enable any of these, especially OpenGLOverlay, the driver will often freeze X on logout (which switches to console a short period for me, since I make gdm restart X every time).
      re: conf options and console switching / shutdown issues, we're hearing conflicting reports about what makes the problem go away. Oyvind, are you :

1. REMOVING the lines from conf so that the driver takes defaults for those functions ?

2. DISABLING the functions in conf, possibly by ADDING option lines ?

I am hearing both answers, but it seems unlikely both are true.
      Last edited by bridgman; 19 January 2008, 11:37 AM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        re: conf options and console switching / shutdown issues, we're hearing conflicting reports about what makes the problem go away. Are you :

1. REMOVING the lines from conf so that the driver takes defaults for those functions ?

2. DISABLING the functions in conf, possibly by ADDING option lines ?

I am hearing both answers, but it seems unlikely both are true.
        If you are referring to my post about the video overlay options and shutdown freeze, I am explicitly turning both overlay types off, by adding the options to the device section in xorg.conf:

Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
        Option "VideoOverlay" "off"

Without this, things are not stable. I also make sure the AMD config database is consistent with xorg.conf by editing /etc/ati/amdpcsdb. And btw. it's kind of annyoing when the amdpcsdb is out of sync with xorg.conf because of manual editing .

OpenGLOverlay has always been very unstable on my ATI X1400. I remember it used to crash X when the background pixmap was loaded during login, on previous fglrx-releases. Now it causes freezes on logout. I've always disabled it.

If your reply was to something else, then ignore this post

Comment

i tried both ways. disabling both using xorg.conf does not help. removing both lines from xorg.conf doesn't either.
          i will try 7.11 again after lunch. just to be sure.

Comment

If you are referring to my post about the video overlay options and shutdown freeze, I am explicitly turning both overlay types off, by adding the options to the device section in xorg.conf:

Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
            Option "VideoOverlay" "off"
            That's what I was looking for. Thanks !
            Last edited by bridgman; 19 January 2008, 12:07 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

I just checked out 7.12. Switching to a text console works.

Comment

Mobility X1900: "Failed to initialize ASIC in kernel"

Hi there,

I' getting this disturbing "Failed to initialize ASIC in kernel" error since version 8-01 (previous versions did not show this).

Any idea how to fix this?

Regards,
                knutbert

P.S.: I'll be happy to provide more details - in fact I did, but that post somehow never showed up in this thread...

Comment

Observations on my T60 (mobility X1300):

Pro:
                  - Memory leak is gone
                  - widescreen works
                  - OpenGL speed is good
                  - Textured2D has noticeably improved, some rendering operations still seem to cause minor slowdowns, but overall 2D speed is noticable improved by the option (I don't use compositing or AIGLX for now)
                  - Suspend to RAM works nicely (as it has always done for me)

Contra:
                  - XV still is not working correctly
                  - Strange "diagonal" tearing is still present when vsync is enabled
                  - Powerplay has developed a tendency to cause deadlocks

Overall, this is one of the most usable releases for me since I aquired this laptop one and a half years ago To elaborate a bit (in a hopefully constructive fashion) on the cons:

XV has stopped working correctly somewhere around Summer last year. Since the it is crippled, only two color formats are available, and the only application that plays along nicely with it is mplayer - xine produces garbled output, and vlc can be made working by forcing the color format, but then scaling doesn't work correctly and is blocky. Also, there is a strange sort of "diagonal" tearing (also present with OpenGL and vsync) which looks like a "Z"with the top and bottom lines flipped to the outsides. I still am hoping for a version that fixes this (although I have noticed that xshm and software scaling is suprisingly good).

Much worse is the breakage of powerplay which for the first time causes trouble in this release. If Textured2D is enabled, it causes reproducable deadlocks which affect nearly everything - ssh access isn't possible. However, magic sysrq is working for syncing and rebooting, so at least parts of the kernel are left alive. If I disable Textured2D, it only locks every 4-6 times or so, but of course, that's not really better, so I disabled it for now. Since powerplay makes the difference between ~22 and ~16 watts total power consumption on my notebook, I would consider this a blocker if I wouldn't detest the memory leak even more (not to speak of the widescreen bug, I am confident that pushing this out was meant to be a bad joke).

When these critters get fixed (espeacially the last one), I for the first time will be tempted of assigning any level of "quality" to fglrx (at least on my configuration)

If anyone is interested, my configuration is a thinkpad T60 core duo (no "2", so 32 bit) running gentoo stable (xorg-server 1.3).

Comment

Originally posted by lowlands View Post

3) open ATI-fglrx.spec-tmpl with an editor, go to the section that starts with %files (line 259) and add %{_sbindir}/amdnotifyui below %{_sbindir}/atieventsd

Now when I go to the root directory (tmp) and try ./ati-installer.sh --buildpkg Fedora/F8 it always returns some help information instead of building the packages.

Anyone know how to make ati-installer.sh build packages?
                    You need to do:

./ati-installer.sh --arguments --buildpkg Fedora/F8

I have had to do that on and off for the past few releases.

Comment

• Kernel log error messages

Hi, just reporting some error messages I'm getting in the kernel log when using OpenGL:

[ 26.284000] [fglrx] Reserve Block - 0 offset = 0X7ffb000 length = 0X5000
                      [ 26.284000] [fglrx] Reserve Block - 1 offset = 0X0 length = 0X1000000
                      [ 26.284000] [fglrx] Reserve Block - 2 offset = 0X7fbb000 length = 0X40000
                      [ 26.456000] [fglrx] interrupt source 10000000 successfully enabled
                      [ 26.456000] [fglrx] enable ID = 0x00000008
                      [ 26.456000] [fglrx] Receive enable interrupt message with irqEnableMask: 10000000
                      [ 29.904000] NET: Registered protocol family 17
                      [ 44.416000] eth0: no IPv6 routers present
                      [ 784.388000] input: Virtual ThinkFinger Keyboard as /class/input/input9
                      [ 1053.648000] input: Virtual ThinkFinger Keyboard as /class/input/input10
                      [ 1055.720000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000002 not found in mutex list
                      [ 1056.456000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000002 not found in mutex list
                      [ 1987.692000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000002 not found in mutex list
                      [ 1994.728000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000002 not found in mutex list
                      [ 1996.592000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000002 not found in mutex list
                      [ 2004.224000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000002 not found in mutex list
                      [ 2031.516000] input: Virtual ThinkFinger Keyboard as /class/input/input11
                      [ 2033.824000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000002 not found in mutex list
                      [ 2033.968000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000002 not found in mutex list
                      [ 2098.104000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x0000000a not found in mutex list
                      [ 2130.840000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x0000000b not found in mutex list
                      [ 3025.856000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000002 not found in mutex list
                      [ 3026.212000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000002 not found in mutex list
                      [ 3028.060000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000002 not found in mutex list
                      [ 3028.180000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000002 not found in mutex list
                      [ 6859.616000] input: Virtual ThinkFinger Keyboard as /class/input/input12
                      [ 7094.480000] input: Virtual ThinkFinger Keyboard as /class/input/input13
                      [ 7134.004000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000002 not found in mutex list
                      [ 7167.560000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000002 not found in mutex list
                      [ 7208.792000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000010 not found in mutex list
                      [ 7220.676000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000012 not found in mutex list
                      [ 7362.628000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000013 not found in mutex list
                      [ 7472.840000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000014 not found in mutex list
                      [ 7473.700000] [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000015 not found in mutex list

The errors pop up when using OpenGL-applications in general. They do not seem to cause any harm, but X hasn't been running for more than 2-3 hours. The Virtual Thinkfinger stuff can be ignored, just my fingerprint reader.

Comment

Working...
                      X