AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega Driver Brings Mixed Results For Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    2nd vote for APU tests here. Kabini, Kaveri, whatever but APUs.
    Third vote, because i like APUs And this Catalyst Omega driver is mostly about GCN 1.1+ hardware anyway... Kabini, Kaveri, Bonaire, Hawaii and Tonga

Liked those omega videos, AMD mentioned linux in two of them if i count right
    Last edited by dungeon; 11 December 2014, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      Basically this is telling me that there are almost no benefits to using Catalyst on older Radeon cards now that the performance on those regressed to Mesa-git / r600-git levels. The only advantage is OpenGL 4.4 and CrossfireX but the disadvantage is major driver bugs.
      Considering most games don't use OpenGL 4.x and crossfire on linux is basically useless, if you have a GCN 1.0 or older GPU, you might as well stick with the open source drivers.

Personally, since I own a R9 290, I think I'm going to switch to catalyst for the time being. There are some "regressions" in the open source drivers, where not all of my games perform as good as they should, and catalyst isn't a horrid mess like it used to be. Still bad, but relatively decent. I expect in about a half year I'll be switching back.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Considering most games don't use OpenGL 4.x and crossfire on linux is basically useless, if you have a GCN 1.0 or older GPU, you might as well stick with the open source drivers.

Personally, since I own a R9 290, I think I'm going to switch to catalyst for the time being. There are some "regressions" in the open source drivers, where not all of my games perform as good as they should, and catalyst isn't a horrid mess like it used to be. Still bad, but relatively decent. I expect in about a half year I'll be switching back.
        Would you mind telling me/us about your experience with the open source driver on that card? I have an R9 290x and didn't try that driver out so much. Only yesterday i quickly checked out Dota 2, but was pretty much garbage. I still wonder how other games perform. I'd like to switch to the open source drivers soon, but for now performance for (more) modern games doesn't seem to be sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

I agree. I personally have an old Radeon HD 5850 Evergreen card and the FOSS drivers are in really good shape supporting it. R7 / R9 support is still baking in Mesa and only right now between 50% to 75% the speed of Catalyst. Lack of OpenGL 4.x support isn't a big deal--I don't think any Linux games use it yet? Besides Mesa developers are working on implementing the extensions to reach 4.x compliance.

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
            Would you mind telling me/us about your experience with the open source driver on that card? I have an R9 290x and didn't try that driver out so much. Only yesterday i quickly checked out Dota 2, but was pretty much garbage. I still wonder how other games perform. I'd like to switch to the open source drivers soon, but for now performance for (more) modern games doesn't seem to be sufficient.
            Question was not directed to me, but I gotta say that using stable oss drivers from Arch (mesa 10.3.5 + xf86-video-ati 7.5.0) and own 3.18 kernel gave me pretty good results on 290X and dota 2 @ 1440p on very high (100% details is giving some hickups, but 90% works like a charm) and it's all on vsync (vblank) enabled...
            Same goes for Borderlands 2 - I was really surprised of how good performance was there. Disabling vblank would only make it better.
            BTW: I noticed that latest oss radeon (or mesa) git releases brought huge perfromance drop. Use stable

As for this new catalyst omega - with it cs:go is finally working perfectly, I think, at least after quick test.
            Last edited by Vi0L0; 11 December 2014, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I also miss APUs, also older ones like the E-350.
              And where is the popular 7950 that was present in former tests?
              Would be nice Michael

Comment

The most interesting and useful benchmark has been inexplicably omitted: 2D (X primitives, GtkPerf).

It is known that Catalyst has some SERIOUS 2D bugs. If and how they have been fixed in Omega remains to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                  I also miss APUs, also older ones like the E-350.
                  And where is the popular 7950 that was present in former tests?
                  Would be nice Michael
                  Second vote. It would be nice to see the E-350 benchmarked. My netbook is reaching its second year, and it's using Linux only, since if I use Catalyst, I don't have brightness controls.

Comment

I do not use the proprietary driver on Linux, but on Windows the new Omega drivers bring fatal results. I am a MSI R6 260x user and I expereince degraded graphics quality in games and some weird texture tearing... at least on CS:GO.

It's kind of sad :/ I hope they fix it soon, but as I know AMD, they will not. (To this date the R6 260x was the most horrible experience: unstable drivers, artifacts, crashes, black screens - and yes, that happens on WINDOWS. Linux is much worse.)

Comment

I would appreciate X-plane benchmarks, as this is the only video game I play. Most of the X-plane benchmarks are pretty old and I'd like to know if the newer drivers help or if they just break something else.

Comment

Working...
                      X