Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 14.12 Linux Driver Released -- Huge Update!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
    Disable "Sync to V-blank" in CCSM (Compiz config settings manager). Just did it, and it helped me, restores from suspend ok.
    doesn't work

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Of course that stupid driver is not fit for linux 3.17/3.18 without patches.
      I think they mentioned 3.17 support, does it still need patching

Xorg/Xserver 7.4 and above (up to 1.16)
      Linux kernel 2.6 or above (up to 3.17)
      Not that somebody could use a new xserver...
      And that "new" will be released next year

Comment

Originally posted by castarco View Post
        Hi, anyone have noticed that this catalyst update is incompatible with Wine 1.7.32 (at least on Ubuntu 14.04.1 64 bits)? :s ,
        because the OpenCL packages I believe... (I think the error is on the Wine's team side).
        Yup, I'm having the same issue, Wine depends on ocl-icd-libopencl1, and fglrx-core_14.501-0ubuntu1_amd64 claims that library is a conflict. Trying to install Wine requires to remove fglrx, and vice versa.

Comment

Release note says:
          "Xorg/Xserver 7.4 and above (up to 1.16)
          Linux kernel 2.6 or above (up to 3.17)"

But when Im trying install on my Ubuntu 14.10 x64 with 3.17.6 and 3.18.0 kernel, installation is failed.

Code:
          Loading new fglrx-core-14.501 DKMS files...
          Building for 3.17.6-031706-generic and 3.18.0-031800-generic
          Building for architecture x86_64
          Building initial module for 3.17.6-031706-generic
          ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-3.17.6-031706-generic is not supported
          Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.17.6-031706-generic (x86_64)
          Consult /var/lib/dkms/fglrx-core/14.501/build/make.log for more information.
          So, its look like kernel 3.17 despite the provision in the release note of support, it is still not supported? Right?
          Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Anyway, how do I handle someone a patch for the driver adds support for 3.17.6 and 3.18 kernels?

Comment

So is AMD decent now or what? Are AMD drivers finally up to par against Nvidia's? Good performance and support for the latest kernel and xorg? Will Arch finally add catalyst back to the official repos?

I was thinking about buying a 970 this christmas but seeing that the Rx 300s are coming out in february I might change my mind.

Comment

OK, for Ubuntu 14.04, new catalyst and wine 1.7, I followed an advice on changing deb file dependencies (http://askubuntu.com/questions/54078...fglrx-conflict), and did the following:
              1. Install wine1.7
              2. Edit fglrx-core dependencies:
              Code:
              mkdir tmp
              dpkg -x fglrx-core_14.501-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb tmp
              dpkg --control fglrx-core_14.501-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb tmp tmp/DEBIAN
              gedit tmp/DEBIAN/control
              remove libopencl1 from Conflicts: and Provides: and make a new deb package:
              Code:
              dpkg -b tmp/ fglrx-core_14.501-0ubuntu1_amd64-FIX.deb
              3. Install all deb files (of course, for fgrlx-core use the fixed version)

Not sure if this will disrupt OpenCL in any way (probably will), so don't do it if you need OpenCL, I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Vidar View Post
                So is AMD decent now or what? Are AMD drivers finally up to par against Nvidia's? Good performance and support for the latest kernel and xorg? Will Arch finally add catalyst back to the official repos?

I was thinking about buying a 970 this christmas but seeing that the Rx 300s are coming out in february I might change my mind.
                AMD's drivers are not up to par with nvidias, but, nvidia's linux drivers CAN outperform their Windows counterparts, and, nvidia's Windows drivers are better than AMD's Windows drivers. So, comparing to nvidia on linux is sort of challenging. Hoping for AMD linux drivers to be on-par against nvidia's is not really something you should be doing. What you should be focusing on is what your budget is and which GPU does what you need the way you want it to. I personally have a pretty decent experience. Depending on your monitor and the games you play, I'm sure the Rx 300 series will be just fine.

The way I always put it - if you can afford nvidia and/or have applications that are particularly optimized for nvidia, go for them. Otherwise, AMD is a fine choice.
                Last edited by schmidtbag; 09 December 2014, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vidar View Post

I have an R9 290x and my games have been running well. Still, it can't keep the FPS > 60 at Dota 2 (all settings maxed) consistently (varries roughly between 45 and 90), while on Windows 7 I didn't see it dropping below once.

I guess, if you're after the best possible gaming experience, you'd still be better off with Nvidia, but I'll stick with AMD for, let's say, political reasons I'd be perfectly happy, if I got consistent >= 60 fps maxed, but that's not always the case :/. I'm still fine as long my games run well enough for me to enjoy them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Basically you can use now the "old" xvba-va-driver wrapper or the integrated one, you have got the choice. It seems to work with mpv, vlc vaapi x11, xbmc 13.2. Of course that stupid driver is not fit for linux 3.17/3.18 without patches. Not that somebody could use a new xserver...
                    Could you elaborate on this a bit more? How does one utilize the vaapi capabilites now?
                    On Ubuntu I was used to installing the xvba-va-driver package next to the driver packages. How does one use the integrated one and will it make any difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Forage View Post
                      Could you elaborate on this a bit more? How does one utilize the vaapi capabilites now?
                      On Ubuntu I was used to installing the xvba-va-driver package next to the driver packages. How does one use the integrated one and will it make any difference?
                      Nevermind. I found the answer in the default redundant duplicate thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X