Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vaapi doesn't work with mpv

Comment

Let's see... Tested on Lubuntu 14.04 LTS, fully updated.

Phenom II X4 810 @2600 MHz
      4 GB DDR2 800 MHz
      Radeon 6850 1GB

- Still unacceptably long loading times in Source games.
      - Stuttering/memory fragmentation is a bit improved. While it makes HL2(EP2) a bit better, L4D2 still runs better on a P4 computer with Windows XP and 1GB RAM.
      - The Witcher 2 with EON wrapper seems to be a little bit better, still unplayable though.
      - Wine (1.7) seems to be broken for anything 3D (including OpenGL).
      - System Shock 2 with the Crossover wrapper seems to work though.
      - Heaven frame rate seems to be terrible compared to Windows.
      - OpenMW runs like crap.
      - Same CCC, no new features.
      - VA-API works.
      - Still no HTML5 acceleration in Firefox. (Fish tank still has a single-digit frame rate. Runs fine with Radeon drivers.)

The "major" update doesn't seem to be so major after all...
      Back to Radeon!

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        - Wine (1.7) seems to be broken for anything 3D (including OpenGL).
        I'm surprised you were able to install the new fglrx while keeping wine installed. There seems to be a widespread bug due to a package management bug in Ubuntu. I had to uninstall wine first, and trying to install it again afterwards warns me that it will remove fglrx because it requires a conflicting package to be installed (ocl-icd-libopencl1).

The problem is described here and 2 bug reports are linked: http://askubuntu.com/questions/54078...fglrx-conflict
        Last edited by plasmasnake; 09 December 2014, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by plasmasnake View Post
          I'm surprised you were able to install the new fglrx while keeping wine installed. There seems to be a widespread bug due to a package management bug in Ubuntu. I had to uninstall wine first, and trying to install it again afterwards warns me that it will remove fglrx because it requires a conflicting package to be installed (ocl-icd-libopencl1).

The problem is described here and 2 bug reports are linked: http://askubuntu.com/questions/54078...fglrx-conflict
          I used the binary installer, no package management was involved with fglrx.

Comment

By following the directions in the Answers replay in the thread you linked, it is possible to install both.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              I used the binary installer, no package management was involved with fglrx.
              Oh ok, I also used the binary installer bit picked the option to generate the distribution-specific packages (i.e. deb files) and installed those. Did you pick the option to just install directly?

Comment

I think this should be fixed with the new Ubuntu package script updates in the Omega driver.

Comment

VAAPI works out of box or I need install some libs?

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
                    VAAPI works out of box or I need install some libs?
                    Depending on your distribution, you need to install libva. On Ubuntu, just install

sudo apt-get install vainfo

It will pull all dependencies including libva and you can then type "vainfo" and see if it works.

For Gstreamer acceleration (Firefox, Totem) you also need

sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-vaapi

If you use VLC, you need to manually activate it in the settings at Input/Codecs.

Comment

Oh ok, I also used the binary installer bit picked the option to generate the distribution-specific packages (i.e. deb files) and installed those. Did you pick the option to just install directly?
                      Yes, I did.

Comment

Working...
                      X