No announcement yet.

AMD A10-7800 Kaveri: Radeon Gallium3D Improves, But Still Tough Catalyst Fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD A10-7800 Kaveri: Radeon Gallium3D Improves, But Still Tough Catalyst Fight

Phoronix: AMD A10-7800 Kaveri: Radeon Gallium3D Improves, But Still Tough Catalyst Fight

It's been a while since last running any open-source vs. closed-source Linux graphics driver benchmarks with AMD Kaveri APUs, but with being busy adding some Kaveri systems to the new Linux test farm, I ran some fresh Linux GPU driver tests on an AMD A10-7800 system. Here's results on Ubuntu 14.10 -- plus with Linux 3.18 and Mesa 10.5-devel -- while compared to the latest Catalyst binary blob.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Micheal you should use dual channel RAM modules when you want to test graphics on Kaveri , those result for Openarena/Xonotic looks the same as to what i have with Kabini, so this Kaveri graphics results are really underpowered .

Comment

Michael i have request for you.
      Can you benchmark a few latest Catalyst version after AMD release next week 14.50 driver? I have hope you did compare in one card from all supported gen hd 5000, 6000, 7000 and new generation cards.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        Micheal you should use dual channel RAM modules when you want to test graphics on Kaveri , those result for Openarena/Xonotic looks the same as to what i have with Kabini, so this Kaveri graphics results are really underpowered .
        It is dual channel memory being used...
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
          Michael i have request for you.
          Can you benchmark a few latest Catalyst version after AMD release next week 14.50 driver? I have hope you did compare in one card from all supported gen hd 5000, 6000, 7000 and new generation cards.
          All Catalyst driver releases of the year are compared in late December, as I've been doing every year for nearly past 10 years.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            It is dual channel memory being used...
            Still looks slow to me You mean 2 x 2GB@2133MHz or some slower ones?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              Still looks slow to me You mean 2 x 2GB@2133MHz or some slower ones?
              Sure, APUs do better with fast RAM, but he tested the difference between drivers here. The hardware is equal between test cases.

Comment

Well done to everyone who contributed to the open source driver!

Comment

Woot! 80%+ of Catalyst performance in almost all tests!
                  Don't stop being awesome!
                  Now there is no reason except OGL4 (which hopefully comes in the next half or full year) to use the proprietary driver anymore, especially since that driver (on some distros, like Arch) is a PAIN to set up and keep working.

Comment

Fantastic improvements! In some cases almost twice (!) the framerate. Great job and thank you to AMD devs!

Comment

Working...
                    X